Storm

Help to find pattern or maker

Hi Guys,

I saw these in the gallery for the 2008  Calumet show and was totally taken back. These slip-ons are great. Does anyone know who made them and or how to find a pattern for them if such a thing exists?

Thanx,

Storm

Carol Higgins might know (howardb's MIL) because those shoes weren't entered in the competition- they were on the Raffle Table !! I did a double and a triple take too. I didn't see a card identifying their maker, or if I did, I don't remember. Both pairs of shoes were stunning, and I think I took more than one pic. Carol organized the raffle donations and prizes- possibly she could help us find out whose they were.

Johanna

Thanx Johanna,

Was going to write but the internal mail on the site is acting glitchy. My personal Email is as follows:

edited out real email addy- sending you an email now Thanks! ~J

Tried to answer you and write Howard too but to no avail. Write to me and I can also send you some possible insight on the clay piece you were asking about.

Thanx,

Storm

Carol Higgins might know (howardb's MIL) because those shoes weren't entered in the competition- they were on the Raffle Table !! I did a double and a triple take too. I didn't see a card identifying their maker, or if I did, I don't remember. Both pairs of shoes were stunning, and I think I took more than one pic. Carol organized the raffle donations and prizes- possibly she could help us find out whose they were.

Johanna

FYI on the sandals, those are an "old" Tandy kit from the 60s or 70s. They had a molded pre-punched sole and top with a back tab at the heel. You might check out some back issues of the Leather Craftsman magazine. They were promoted heavily in there. George Hurst might be able to give some insight on it.

Indy

There are a pair of these in our local Tandy on display. I was told they were called Gypsy shoes. Heard the same story about them being an outdated kit. I would also really like to get the pattern if anyone has it.

Thanx to all of you for your insight and suggestion.  I would by a not so great pair and take tem apart and use them to create a pattern.  I have found some similar but not the same.

Thanx,

Storm

Thanx to all of you for your insight and suggestion. I would by a not so great pair and take tem apart and use them to create a pattern. I have found some similar but not the same.

Thanx,

Storm

Storm,

Electrathon is correct, they are called Gypsies and were very popular in the early 60s. George Hurst reminded me of this information. The soles were premolded and punched with needle sized holes for stitching them to the tops whech were also prepunched. They were made from 10-12 oz skirting. Just keep the post uptodate and someone will have a pattern in their archives. I'll check with some of my resources also.

Indy

Thanx Indy,Up on just about all you have said. Also got an email from someone at Tandy this  morning saying that due to the shake ups there some things are lost or misplaced.  Also heard that there was a pair in the Tandy shop in Oregon and have also contacted them via email. Have also emailed out some questions to The International Internet Leathercrafters' Guild, Inc. I figure if we could get ahold of a pair then dismantle and and reverse engineer them.  Nothing like scanners and Photoshop to turn the tide. HA! Besides a shoe last would help with the molding part.Thanx again boo,Storm