Thanks for the info. Does this make much of a change in the thickness of the leather?

SkipJ

The leather I order from WC that is plated, is in the correct range of thickness for it's weight. I really don't know if plating makes it thinner, but I would assume is probably does slightly, so they would adjust their input leather to make sure the finished product is what you ordered. That's a total guess on my part, so take it with a grain of salt. Just know that if you order 6/7 oz plated leather, you will get leather that's thickness is in the correct range for 6/7 oz.

They told me that it's split after being holstered, so it shouldn't affect it's weight at all. But they also told me that mine was split from 10oz and my 8oz had loads of flesh on the belly and bottom shoulder area. When I inquired about this, I was informed that it must not have been split from the heavier leather and that it must have been a mistake. whistle.gif

So plating or holstering is the same as tempering. That does explain why some spit leather is so hard to cut.

They told me that it's split after being holstered, so it shouldn't affect it's weight at all. But they also told me that mine was split from 10oz and my 8oz had loads of flesh on the belly and bottom shoulder area. When I inquired about this, I was informed that it must not have been split from the heavier leather and that it must have been a mistake. whistle.gif

I bought up this same concern to the guy I ordered from yesterday, and told him if necessary to split it from a much heavier piece of leather to insure a smooth back and that I would pay the difference in price, if any. He didnt seem to comprehend what I was saying, so we'll see what shows up here.

I also feel like he got smart alecky with me when I asked what colors of leather they had available. He told me "all of them". I should have ordered fuchsia.

Like the leather. Dont like the phone sales people so much though.

I put in a order over there today and I asked that they split it after they holster, temper, or plate or whatever the heck you want to call it, and she said that they could split mine after it is plated, so that leads me to think they usually do it before.

I can't stand the fleshy backs. Lately I've been requesting they split it down to 8 oz specifically to remove the fleshy areas as much as possible. I'll be pretty annoyed if I have to wait an extra week for it to ship only to find out they simply sent a thinner 8 oz hide that still has a fleshy back. And I agree with the previous comment about the automated phone system. The first time I ordered, I spoke with a male. He wasn't rude, but he wasn't friendly and helpful either. I hung up feeling embarrassed that I didn't know precisely what to order when I called (I was just asking questions at the time and getting prices, average square footage, etc.). When I called back to place my first order, I spoke with the lady that I believe is last on the list - she was much more polite and helpful and she's the only one I speak with now when I call. I'm plenty happy with the product they deliver thus far, but I prefer the look of Herman Oak so I might give Springfield another try with my next order.

I used W&C exclusively for quite awhile but became disenchanted last year when 3 orders in a row had 15%+ loss on their #1/A grade, mainly in the shoulder area. I started ordering HO from Goliger and Sheridan Leather and was quite happy with the quality of the leather but on the last Goliger hide I found a ton of small scratches from either improper stacking or packaging. Took me all afternoon with a glass slicker to work them out of the hide...I just don't have that kind of time to waste. Both of my orders with Sheridan have been very good looking.

Never satisfied though, I just placed my first order with ALD with the same instructions I have with SLO & Goliger for a single back so we'll see how that one comes out, I'll report back on how it looks. If it works out to be good stuff it would be great as it's less expensive than either of the other two even when ordered as a double back.

I bought up this same concern to the guy I ordered from yesterday, and told him if necessary to split it from a much heavier piece of leather to insure a smooth back and that I would pay the difference in price, if any. He didnt seem to comprehend what I was saying, so we'll see what shows up here.

I also feel like he got smart alecky with me when I asked what colors of leather they had available. He told me "all of them". I should have ordered fuchsia.

Like the leather. Dont like the phone sales people so much though.

They must be busy, because every time I call I get a recording and just leave my order in a message. No call back to confirm, nothing. I either get my order in a few days or never. I wait a week or so, and if it doesn't arrive, I have to play phone tag. I guess I could use email.... or smoke signals.

Sounds like legit complaints to me...am I safe to assume you've shared these things with the powers that be @ W&C?

Powers that be? You mean, like, the ownership? You mean, as in, writing a letter to the company? No. Waste of time. I told one of the sales staff at the time but of course, that went nowhere. W&C is like every other company out there, trying to save a few pennies by dropping all pretense at customer service. Then they wonder why the phones stop ringing all of a sudden. These automated phone answering systems with their menues from hell are the worst idea anyone ever came up with. But they all do it. People universally hate it. But it's a cheap assed way for companies to handle calls instead of hiring a sweet, cordial receptionist to sit there and answer the phone, find out what you want and route you to the next available sales person or department. That was the old way of doing it, and yeah, sometimes that meant being put on hold for a few seconds, but, at least you knew the company actually cared enough about your business to hire someone to TALK TO YOU!

Sign of the times.

Springfield is the only one I buy from. I like the people and their manner of dealing with customers. From the very first order I was made to feel like I was a long time customer who was the most important person they would ever deal with.

I placed an order last Wednesday from W&C for 5 sides, 3 had to be split. I got the shipping notification this afternoon.

I also use nothing but W&C for the last few (8) month's. I have only good things to say..... Great leather, Holsters are consistent. They actually helped inform ME on how the leather was holstered etc.

They all have been very accommodating. Glenn and Diana are great! ( Have not spoke to the other guy). I have not used Springfield or H.O. yet. Have been satisfied with W&C.

Besides, I did my research here. Looked at what others had to say about W&C Vs Weaver. One thing that rang in my head, from another forum member was " Do they sell US the best or USE them selves". You never know. Anyway, the majority of members seemed to like W&C so i went with them. Have not been Disappointed so far. Another order just shipped today. I did order just after Christmas. Glenn said two weeks, Which I understood. It was hear two weeks later.

Sorry, The order that shipped today was the second order since Christmas. This was only 10 days to get shipped. I just keep that in mind. Although I did get a little too close, ran out for a day.

a couple of weeks ago i drove to springfield leather , wanted to personally select some hermann oak , great store and real nice sales people. i have ordered some things by phone before and service was great. but after a 5 hr. drive i was directed to 5 or 6 rolled up sides under a table full of mexican import hides. i didn't even bother to unroll them they were rolled so tight. was dissapointed to say the least but i guess i should have called before i left home. if you get a chance to go to springfield , it is a great place to visit and they are currently expanding . still managed to buy a few supplies i needed.

I have bought from W&C for over a year... always was satisifed with the Skirting I bought. BUT... I always bought BIG and had it split to the size I really wanted! So, I ordered in November or early december, a few English Bridle BACKS. I ordered 10-12 oz. The black one was very nice, avg weight throughout was 10.5 - 11... nice. The chestnut they sent was 8.5-9.... maybe the heaviest was 9.75... NOT good. Sadly, I had run it through a strap cutter before I realized the chestnut was way undersized. I was told "sorry, we'll give you a discount next time"... oh, super. ha ha

So..... 3 weeks later I go for 3 hides.... this time, I got a huge discount... $20 off! woo hoo!! and all three hides were WAY undersized and...... instead of backs, they were sides. I get my backs with a straight edge down the bone as they say.... these came with a straight edge down the bone all right, but they were then 4 feet wide.... that's a purty big steer! Sizes went from 6.25 to 11.... mostly in the 8.5 range.... It's not even worth the time to call... I'll hear the same BS.... "we'll give you a discount next time".. WTF?

So, anyone have any good recommendations for English Bridle Backs? I'm done with W&C...... I hope their business hurts as much as they are hurting mine. Hard to fill orderes when your supplier blows.

Fantastic that I stumbled upon the very subject I was looking for.

I've been going back and forth over the past couple of days with W&C asking about their bellies they have listed on overstock. I was asking for a few of the largest (widest) ones they had, in either English birdle or harness, as they had listed. Well, I asked for and got the specs on the average SF and length and width of them, got the lo-down on "bellies are...." (honey, I know what they are, I've been working on and off with leather for over 25 years), and I told them what project I had in mind. They started to suggest that it wouldn't be possible (I've done it before) to get the proper sized pieces I needed from these bellies (did I say I've done this before???) and asked me to give them the dimensions I needed. I gave them what they asked for and the response was : "The bellies we have are definitely NOT............ I guess we can't help you, Thanks."

So, I was intending to order a few anyway, trusting that they would send me the widest ones they could find, however, being given the brushoff wasn't what I would call good business. And so I let them know that. In the meantime I found a picture from Zak's that has bellies listed that they say are 7-9SF, and if they are, that means that one of them in the picture contains at least 4-5 square feet straight through the middle of the piece. No idea why theirs would be wider than the tannery's are.

Meanwhile, I've ordered twice from Spfld in the past few months. Two natural horse butts and 1.5" horse strips. The first time I asked for the widest butts they had, didn't care about length, scratches, blemishes (it's a practice project) and the butts were better and larger than I expected. The second time I asked for two more natural horse butts, more strips, and one each of the brown and black drum-dyed narrower horse butts. I specifically asked for wide butts, the widest drum-dyed butts (I know they were all narrower), and thin 1.5" strips because I don't need the thick ones. Well, I think they sent me the thickest strips they had (no big deal I can easily split them myself), the drum-dyed butts are garbage (they look 20 years old, the dye rubs straight out of them, the flesh side looks like they have some weird material attached to them, and both have a horrendous 1/2" wide deep cracked crease from end to end straight through them) and the large natural butts, one was 1/2 the width of the ones I had previously received, and the other was a bit wider, still narrower than the first order, but it looked as if it had one entire edge torn from it. So, disappointed as I was, I didn't complain. If I order from Spfld again, I will show them the pictures I took of what they sent me the second time despite what I asked for, and remind them that it's the third time I've ordered from them and if I don't get what I requested this time, I'm not going to complain, but I will take my business elsewhere.

Unfortunately, Boston, which used to be the center of the leather universe, has no remaining retail leather shops. Shipping costs way too much to screw around.

What I meant was, the picture I found at Zak's said these bellies were 7-9sf and judging from that, it means that the larger one in the picture should have several square feet of material, at least, through the center.

post-24718-023972500 1328840681_thumb.jp

So, I was going straight to the tannery, thinking that that's where the stuff comes from, right? Yea, I know that no every tannery produces the same stuff the same way or even the same stuff the same way every time.

W&C was quick to scream at me, after the y requested and I told them that I was looking for something like this, with perhaps 2 or 3 sf clear in the center, that "our bellies are NOT....... I guess we can't help you, Thanks."