McJeep

Leather Supplier - Western Canada

As the title says - need a GOOD leather supplier as far west as I can find to save on shipping costs. Tandy just aint cuttin it - why would they say "this latigo is kinda dirty but will clean up with damp rag" instead of just cleaning it up in the first place to verify it, and why did I get sent two veg tan shoulder cuts instead of one double shoulder as ordered? Leatherwork is too time consuming to have jobs sullied by unacceptable leather, and I don't feel like doing the "return it to us" garbage which just eats up more time.

I want a supplier that I can count on to send me leather that's at LEAST an 8 out of 10.

Suggestions are very very very much appreciated - really trying to stay Canadian if only to save the customs and shipping hassles of getting stuff across the border, but will look at US suppliers as well.

Thanks folks :)

Rob (frustrated by time loss)

What kinds of leather do you use? I take hides right to a tannery in Manitoba and get them done . Beautiful job. I have about 20 sides on hand at the moment so I need to get to work.

You can try Halfords in Edmonton 1-800-353-7864 Or google halfords leather. I have not used their leather but they do sell a lot. If I remember right Great west has a store in Calgary too. Or just goolge leather Canada.

Hi Rob,

I tried halford hides and what I got was worse than Tandy's worse. They might be better since the last time we dealt with them, but we won't order from them anymore.

Caledon leather in Calgary is the best I've seen up to now. They carry Herman Oak.

http://www.caledonleather.ca/leather.html

Good luck,

Moe

Thanks guys - appreciate the advice :)

I'm using a bit of everything right now - haven't really nailed down a niche but am having to let demand steer the business where it needs to go to pay some bills ;0) Using *mostly* 8 oz veg tan for projects and about a third of my needs is latigo for bike and dog gear that needs to be tougher than pretty ;0) Have heard of Caledon before now that you mention it and will check them out - how's their pricing compare to the tandy wholesale??

Again, much thanks - hopefully shipping costs won't hogtie me :0/

Cheers

Rob

I tried Halfords as well..do NOT recommend! I tried them once to check the speed of the shipping and quality..and after that NEVER again..quality is brutal! customer service is even worse. I won't go back..EVER!

Buckskin Leather in Alberta has a nice website, but I haven't ordered from them yet.

Edited by northmount
added url

Try George Jackson, they are a distributor of our leathers and have several locations in Canada.

Edited by northmount
added url