Sign in to follow this  
wildhorsehans

Drover saddle patterns

Does anyone know where I could get a set of old West saddle patterns for a drover saddle? I really like the style and rigging and would like to build one, but have no idea where to get patterns.

Any help would be fantastic.

Hans

Does anyone know where I could get a set of old West saddle patterns for a drover saddle? I really like the style and rigging and would like to build one, but have no idea where to get patterns.

Any help would be fantastic.

Hans

Hans,

I too am going for a look similar to the drover. My first saddle was a late 1800's but now I'm after a much earlier look, a very early Texas Hope with a lot of Mexican/Spanish influence. Sq skirt, single rigging (not Sam Stag as that came later) wood post, half seat & oak block stippups. I've found this site which has been good for pictures, there's quite a few linking pages so lots to search through.

http://www.19th-century-us-history.com/sad...ian.htm#item-c1

I've been taught to take patterns from the tree, it's a time consuming task using lots of paper and card but once you have one set they can be copied and modified for other styles. You could also try this link for more photos.

http://www.willghormley-maker.com/saddles.html

Let me know how you get on with your search for patterns, I might have something I could copy and airmail to you. As soon as I get started I'll be putting up a post on the site showing my progress. Happy pounding. Ian.

Thanks Ian, if I find anything I will pass it along as well.

I like the Hope saddle too. I shoot Cowboy Mounted Shooting with my Mustang Vinny and would really like an old West saddle for that. Plus I think Vinny would look cool in "posse" mode. LOL

Will Ghormley is a good friend of mine and probably one of the foremost authorities of 1800's saddles and cowboy gear. He is a great historian, craftsman, artist, and writer. I know he has been working on pattern packs for several old saddle designs but I'm not sure if he is finished with them. Give him a shout and find out...he's the man!

Jon

I just got an email back from him, and you are right, he is a nice guy. He said he has been working on a series of saddle patterns, but it will be awhile. Did not have antything at the moment, but gave me some ideas to try while I look for correct patterns. Told me to look for real old beat up cheap saddles and take them apart to see how the old timers did it. From that I may be able to figure out rigging and patterns.

I have a place to start, but doubt I will find many real old cheap drovers here in NH.

Hello Hans

There is or was a museum in Brevard NC that had a very nice Drovers saddle on display. The museum was partly a private collection from the late Jim Bob Tinsley, a great historian and musician and author of several books on cowboy subjects . You might try a google search to check the status of the museum and see if any pictures might be available. The saddle was in my shop for evaluation some years back and other than a nice cleaning and conditioning it needed no repairs and was 100% original.. I realize this does not provide the patterns that you are looking for but pictures of any original may help you develop your own patterns.

Blake

Thanks very much Blake. All info is very welcome, and helpful. There is an Old West museum on ebay right now for sale. Might be the same place.

Hans

Hey Jon,

I'm gettin' closer to gettin' those saddle "How-To" DVDs and patterns made. I'm gonn'a need somebody who can build the trees just the way I want 'em and duplicate 'em in large enough quantities to meet the demand. That way, the customer can get the tree the pattern was made for. Know anybody who can do that? :)

Will

Hey Jon,

I'm gettin' closer to gettin' those saddle "How-To" DVDs and patterns made. I'm gonn'a need somebody who can build the trees just the way I want 'em and duplicate 'em in large enough quantities to meet the demand. That way, the customer can get the tree the pattern was made for. Know anybody who can do that? :)

Will

Will,

It would be great to get those going! Have you checked into some of the tree makers here on the forum?

There are a few here and maybe they could produce them for you.

Rick J.

Hey Jon,

Will

Will, I'm thinking possibly Rod Nichols would be the one to contact about the trees.

Mike