Sign in to follow this  
mlapaglia

Thread Consumption Calculator

This is an excel spreadsheet that will calculate the amount of thread to stitch a item.

Set the average seam thickness to the total leather thickness in mm

The type of thread setting is not a part of the formula

Use the worksheet tab to do the calculation. The new help guide tab is the help and the ISO stitches tab explains the ISO stitches choices.

We normally use 301 lockstitch

I talked to someone at A&E they suggested we use this sheet for Heavy weight leather for leather total thickness 4 oz and up.

the example on the sheet is a belt I did that was 55 inches total so the stitch length was 110 and I was set at 6 spi.

It seem pretty accurate to me but I could be wrong. The numbers at least make sense to me.

Click here for spreadsheet

Michael

This is an excel spreadsheet that will calculate the amount of thread to stitch a item.

Set the average seam thickness to the total leather thickness in mm

The type of thread setting is not a part of the formula

Use the worksheet tab to do the calculation. The new help guide tab is the help and the ISO stitches tab explains the ISO stitches choices.

We normally use 301 lockstitch

I talked to someone at A&E they suggested we use this sheet for Heavy weight leather for leather total thickness 4 oz and up.

the example on the sheet is a belt I did that was 55 inches total so the stitch length was 110 and I was set at 6 spi.

It seem pretty accurate to me but I could be wrong. The numbers at least make sense to me.

Click here for spreadsheet

Michael

I don't see where a thread usage calculator is of any use for small hand sewn\machine sewn projects that are done by any of the shops in this forum. I could care less about the ISO or anything to do with it. These are European manufacturing standards. I don't live in Europe. I live in Pennsylvania. That is my opinion others may differ.

Edited by busted

Well I found it interesting so I thought others might. I didn't figure everyone would appreciate it.

Michael

Thanks for sharing! Great Find!

I disagree with Busted. Small items I may not use this for, but for the larger purses, bags, long knife sheaths, etc, this will be a nice addition to the shop? Why? Well lets see

If you know the length of thread required you don't waste

If you know the amount needed, you don't have to end up "pulling" yards of extra thread throughout the entire sewing process

If you know the amount required, you don't end up running short at the end of the project...

Just my thoughts, and I live in Texas...

Charlie