I just completed a blind trade for a "sewing machine". I traded off some stuff I had lying around and wasn't going to use for this machine.

MercClose.sized.jpg

Click Image for full size

MercM337.sized.jpg

The guy I got it from used it to sew leather, It'll punch holes in leather and feed it so he's not lying but being a walking foot machine I'm pretty sure that leatherworking wasn't the original intent.

Anyone know anything about this.... Mercury M-337...

I could use threading directions, needle sizes, value etc.

That is a walking foot machine - not a needle feed.

Use 135 X 16 needles for leather and 135 x 17 needles for fabric, canvas, etc.

As for value - it's a decent machine and should do a pretty fair job. It should sew about 3/8" thick...or so.

Edited by Artisan Dave

Mercury was a brand used by Morse Distributing. Morse was noted for knocking off Singers in Japan and I have seen some '50s vintage machines from India. They did this with a lot of appliances under the "Mercury Electric" name. Yours looks like what they were making in the '70s-'80s timeframe, as Japan got better, so did their machines. You see some of these in canvas shops, if kept oiled, they hold up pretty well.

Needles -- 135-17 for round or ball points, 135-16 for spear (Tri) points

Bobbins -- Not sure, but just guessing maybe Singer Industrial.

Threading is from left to right, needle groove on left, again just like any Singer Industrial.

Value -- I have seen $250 complete, but not in as good shape, and as high as $450.

Art

I just completed a blind trade for a "sewing machine". I traded off some stuff I had lying around and wasn't going to use for this machine.

MercClose.sized.jpg

MercM337.sized.jpg

The guy I got it from used it to sew leather, It'll punch holes in leather and feed it so he's not lying but being a walking foot machine I'm pretty sure that leatherworking wasn't the original intent.

Anyone know anything about this.... Mercury M-337...

I could use threading directions, needle sizes, value etc.