Sign in to follow this  
mcn

Seiko Vs Consew Vs Techsew

I have bee researching new machines and it has come down to these brands. Seiko STH-8BLD-3 Consew 206RB-5 Techsew 106 The prices are all fairly close after shipping and everything else considered. I could not find much on the forums about the Japan / Chinese made quality differences. Considering the Consew - Seiko history then throw in the Techsew is there a big difference? I haven't actually seen any of these except on the internet/utube so sometimes a picture isn't worth ........ I would't feel comfortable making this purchase without hearing from you guys so Thanks in advance for your advice.

All are good machines. I would make my first criteria "what do people say about the backup and service from the dealer I am considering" If you are buying from a dealer on here then it will come down to exactly what you will be getting for your money.

I have bee researching new machines and it has come down to these brands. Seiko STH-8BLD-3 Consew 206RB-5 Techsew 106 The prices are all fairly close after shipping and everything else considered. I could not find much on the forums about the Japan / Chinese made quality differences. Considering the Consew - Seiko history then throw in the Techsew is there a big difference? I haven't actually seen any of these except on the internet/utube so sometimes a picture isn't worth ........ I would't feel comfortable making this purchase without hearing from you guys so Thanks in advance for your advice.

The Seiko has a limitation in the choice of presser feet for leather so I would rather pick a Juki 441 clone.

/ Knut

The difference in quality is huge, normally reflected in the price. A Japanese machine made in Japan is much better than a Chinese machine ever will be. That said, Chinese machines are much better than before. As Darren said, it depends on whom you buy them from, warranty and support. When a German or Japanese sewing machine is produced in China, they should be produced to a certain spec. and quality. However, they are produced to a lower cost, I sorry to say this, but I do not think we ever will get the same good old quality as before.

Trox

Thanks for your reply's. I did not mention that I have a 441 clone so this new machine will be used for the lighter leather projects. Definitely buying from one of the members here, so pretty confident the follow up service will be good. The presser foot difference is a question I will be asking, I had thought these machines had interchangeable accessories.

I`m real happy with my Seiko 8LD, was a little quick for me to start with but have the speed mastered now. Limited feet does mean some work is done on the Pfaf 335 17B H21 for tighgt corner design etc.

I recently bought a Seiko STH-8BLD-3 from Campbell-Randall Machinery in Yoakum, Texas Link. It appears to be very well made (in Japan) and has been a good compliment to my Cobra 4. The Seiko uses the widely available Singer 111W feet (just about anything you might want is probably available. The folks at Campbell-Randall have an extensive machine shop, and created a smooth (no teeth) stitch plate and a smooth feed dog that I can switch to when I need them. Good People!

Dave

Dave,

I have a Consew 206RB-5. It is as near to identical to the Seiko STH-8BLD-3 as anything could be. Love my machine.

Am going to Toledo Sewing Machine with WIZ Wednesday to see if I can find a narrow cylinder triple feed.

ferg

I recently bought a Seiko STH-8BLD-3 from Campbell-Randall Machinery in Yoakum, Texas Link. It appears to be very well made (in Japan) and has been a good compliment to my Cobra 4. The Seiko uses the widely available Singer 111W feet (just about anything you might want is probably available. The folks at Campbell-Randall have an extensive machine shop, and created a smooth (no teeth) stitch plate and a smooth feed dog that I can switch to when I need them. Good People!

Dave

Dave,

I have a Consew 206RB-5. It is as near to identical to the Seiko STH-8BLD-3 as anything could be. Love my machine.

Am going to Toledo Sewing Machine with WIZ Wednesday to see if I can find a narrow cylinder triple feed.

ferg

I remember from one of your previous posts, that your particular 206RB-5 was also made in Japan (by Seiko). I should think it would be virtually identical to the Seiko.

Dave

I am looking to buy a tech sew had some good reviews