rmr

What Material Do You Make Your Patterns From?

I have a set of paper patterns Im planning on using to make my first saddle. Assumming this goes OK and I decide to make anothewr one- I want to have the patterns on something more durrable than paper. I would love to hear what others are using for a material to create more permanent patterns from

Thansk for any advice

RMR

RMR,

I've got one cardboard pattern I've used so much it's curling under on the edges from tracing. I've got a peice of Lexan to tape a new pattern on then cut it out on a bandsaw. I figure on cutting a little large and finish on a sander.

Terry

All of my smaller patterns follow John Bianchi's advice: manila folders. I have never had an issue with any of them, . . . not one.

For larger patterns, . . . Tandy sells a product, . . . bag liner, . . . it's a kinda sorta cardboardy material, . . . but so far has held up really well in every test pattern I have used it for.

It comes in a roll, . . . something like 40 inches wide, . . . and I love the stuff. Fact is, . . . when I get the new shop next spring, . . . one of my "tasks" is to take all my smaller patterns and create new ones with bag liner for the ones I use the most.

May God bless,

Dwight

Hello!..I've started using a clear runner material that I picked up at Home Depot.Get the smoothest you can find,not the carpet type.Works really good so far ,and you can also see through it to work around blemishes.

I wait until the end of "back to school" season and pick up the plastic file folders at wallyworld for about a nickel each. I use these for most of my smaller patterns. For large patterns (both of them) I like linoleum ....same reasons as Tony.

I go to flooring stores and buy there vinyl remnants. Usally get 4x8 or there abouts for $20. Extreamly durable waterproof and semi ridgid.

Manila folders.

It doesn't make sense for me to try to re-use a pattern, because I make every one of my holsters to order, customized for ride height and angle. And my volume is ridiculously low, maybe 2-3 a month.

I go over to the local feed store and pick up the pallet covers. They are cardboard and the size of the pallet to protect the bags of feed from getting ripped open. The best thing over the great size is free

Bobby R

I usually start with poster board to work out a pattern I like, and then save a permanent pattern onto a sheet of vinyl like plastic .

The plastic is the same thickness as poster board and has very similar bending properties.

I buy the plastic sheeting in a 5' X 20 ' roll from a local plastics store.

When I store the pattern I just punch a small hole in the plastic and hang in on a nail.

Joel

I use manila folders, but I like the idea of using something clear that allows me to see bad spots on the leather.

Plexiglass-- If it's a pattern I know will be used often.

It is clear, rigid, it can be drilled and hung on wall, and it helps me keep my knife cut at a 90 degree angle.

I get my pattern material from a local chiropractor. When they receive new x-ray films there is a nice white sturdy but thin cardboard between each sheet. They just throw it away and it works great for me so I'm never out of pattern material.

Plastex- it a bathtub surround material available at Home Depot for about $25 a 4x8 sheet. I like it better than flooring material because it has no paper backing to warp over time. you can also draw on it with a pencil and erase easily. This was one of the coolest things I learned at Sheridan this year. Thank you Mr. Smith.

When I'm developing a pattern I use beer box and duct tape. I find Blue Ribbon inspires best but I'm sure others have a brand that works just as well.