TwinOaks

January 2012 Challenge

We used to have some monthly 'challenges' that were designed to introduce various aspects of this craft to new members AND to encourage 'old hands' to experiment a little out of their comfort zone. I thought they were a great idea and they really helped the new members learn. As with many things, it appears that our instructors got caught up in their 'day jobs', and we had a declining rate of participation.......in short, they just fizzled out.

It's been a while since we've done one, so I'm proposing one. Yes, it's a bit late in the month, but it's never too late, right?

Here's the challenge: Produce an eagle's head (source of image is up to the participants).......using a swivel knife and only one other tool. Please list the tool that you use when you post your pics. Coloring is not required. This leans heavily on the carving/tooling side of this craft, which I feel is at the heart of leather crafting. I suspect we'll see a good bit of finger cuts, but I'd also like to see some out of the box creativity. For our new members, this is a great way to teach them to not only think outside the box, but to completely ignore that there ever was a box.

As it's late in the month, we'll overlap a bit into February....let's try to get the pics in by Valentine's day.

To our members who are just starting out: No one will be criticizing your pictures, so please don't hesitate to post them or think "it's not good enough". We all started somewhere and you might just have the next mind blowing creative technique that we've all been searching for.

At the time of this posting, there have been quite a few views, and I hope just as many members trying this out. Since I started this, it's fair that I post up first, so.....post-5374-045145900 1327739535_thumb.jpg

This was carved with my old Tandy swivel knife (after a quick stropping, of course), and my second tool was the scrap of denim shown in the pic. The denim was used for burnishing around the head for more contrast.

All carving, beveling, and lifting of the feathers was done with only the swivel knife.

Let's see what you've got!

Tracing the image onto the leather is not considered using a tool, correct?

Correct. Only the actual tooling.....though that would make an interesting aspect!

I"M IN, lets go folks.

I AM GAME! I will post something very soon!

2 tools right

I know what mine will be.... and NO HAMMER! That is a tool ....hahahahahaha

Can I make a whole eagle or only a head???

Edited by chancey77

I AM GAME! I will post something very soon!

2 tools right

I know what mine will be.... and NO HAMMER! That is a tool ....hahahahahaha

Is that correct.......a hammer would count as one of the two tools?

Is that correct.......a hammer would count as one of the two tools?

Not sure if it is considered a tool/compound tool in conjunction with 1 stamp/backgrounder but If it was my rules I would say a Hammer is a tool:)

Be creative what can you find around the house to use as a burnisher / stamp that is 1 entity??? A rough Rock? Something from the kitchen like a butter knife. uhm...not my rules and since he is giving you a pencil or stylus i would consider a hammer a tool:) At least there is no 10minuet time constraint like so other guys post....ahahhahahahaha

It is more about knife work in my opinion and exactly what Mike said:)

I used the Grip on the old burnishing tool that was my dads to create the background effect! After talking about the rock and butter knife it gave me a very simple solution! ;)

post-28433-050502700 1327784753_thumb.jp

Edited by chancey77

If your second tool is a stamp, then I more or less presumed that you'd have to hit it with something. The idea behind this is to learn the versatility of the swivel knife, in a carving role. I opted for the second tool to try and open it up and avoid nothing but finger cuts...not that there's anything wrong with them. Paul Z has done a few contests to promote the SK-3 knives and the contests were dominated by finger cuts and scroll work.

Examples of knife + 1 tool: Swivel knife, and back grounder; or beveler; or modeling tool, etc. I went with knife + burnishing cloth to take it to the extreme degree...it didn't HAVE to be burnished. Everything else was done with the swivel knife.

Looking forward to seeing what y'all come up with.

I'll wait for the ruling to come from up in the booth.........

That was the ruling from the booth. I opened the challenge and I'm saying the hammer is 'okay'....you're not really using the hammer to do anything to the leather. You're hitting a stamp with it. The stamp is what's doing something to the leather.:D

OK posted mine in my last comment edit...CHECK IT OUT!

Eagle is a Kaisa Chancey original...My wife drew the pencil drawing on paper for me:)

So just again...

Background was made by the grips from my burnishing tool:)

post-28433-090130500 1327785090_thumb.jp

Edited by chancey77

Excellent! Using the grips to make the background is EXACTLY the kind of innovation I was hoping to see. Thank you for posting!

Guess everyone is on Sunday nap time after church and lunch today...me I have been working:)

I really liked this challenge I think it might be only the 2nd eagle I have ever done, and today after looking at the other one now on my wall with a bunch of other smalls, the feathers where really bugging me, so I remade another one:) Really trying to come to grips with what is not enough , what is to over the top and what is the perfect balance???

Every project always presents its own challenges and this one was for sure the feathers....

Yesterday I timed that one; and I spent 27 mins after I got Kaisa's picture on the leather and today I spent maybe 45 trying to take my time with it and find a balance...maybe I need to do a 3rd one????? hahahaha

This is a good one for me for sure!

I didn't do a background this time, just trying to work on the feathers:) If anyone has some tips about feathers I am all ears:)

But I did only use the same 2 tools:)

Thanks MIKE!

post-28433-086597300 1327867083_thumb.jp

Here is my entry.

It took more time to find the second tool than to carve the eagle head.

It is not a unique idea, but I like a coarse background so I used a small awl .

post-130-002788900 1327868320_thumb.jpg

Gesa

Here is my entry.

It took more time to find the second tool than to carve the eagle head.

It is not a unique idea, but I like a coarse background so I used a small awl .

post-130-002788900 1327868320_thumb.jpg

Gesa

NICE! I like it very much! How do you like that ceramic knife?

I like the ceramic blade very much, but this one is an old one. I bought it on Ebay with a bunch of old stamping tools and liked it so much that I bought also a new one. But I use the new one not very often even after polishing and stopping, then I prefer the old steel blades.

Are Bud Lights considered tools????

man...I kinda suck at this.....I used a 936 beveler to make this mess......I thought I would quit while it still looked like an Eagle.

post-4803-090546900 1327885011_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rayban

Nothing wrong as far as I can see! Still looks like an eagle, and it's more than just swivel knife cuts.....ya done good.

Can They be oiled before submitting or is that a tool?

Al

OKAY, here goes tools used makers mark & swivel knife. Border cut with finger as guide, beveled with yoke. Pebeling effect came from stripping knife down & rolling the barrel. Edges where also done with the yoke. And now we can put some oil on it.

Al

post-9640-058770400 1328132458_thumb.jpg

Edited by colttrainer

Very nice carving!

You can oil it or whatever else if you choose. However, I'd prefer this challenge to focus the versatility of the knife, augmented with an additional tool, instead of other things like oils/dyes/and finishes.

Thank you. Figyred thats what you were aftre so thats why I posted it before oiling.

Very nice carving!

You can oil it or whatever else if you choose. However, I'd prefer this challenge to focus the versatility of the knife, augmented with an additional tool, instead of other things like oils/dyes/and finishes.

Sketched freehand from a drawing of a rather smug looking golden eagle, but I think I made the eagle to "chinny" under the mandible in the finished piece--it seems to be throwing off a strong "raven" vibe to me. Oh well, something to watch out for next time. I also made it on a piece of leather that was too thin, so I couldn't get much depth, so instead of about 4 or 5 oz, I'll try a 8 or 9 oz instead next time.

Anyway, here is my eagle. The two tools were the swivel knife, and in keeping with the spirit of the challenge, only the larger side of the petal tool was used. The background was lightly crosshatched with the swivel knife to give the impression of "matting" and then burnished with the yoke of the swivel knife and the petal tool. The blade of the swivel knife was used to edge the piece--difficult, and not at all even, but it worked more or less. The side of the swivel knife was used to burnish the edges. The tip of the petal tool was used to burnish shading and striations on the bill and the rays in the eye, as well as provide some of the feather barbs. The tip of the swivel knife formed other barbs and the bristles around the mandibles, the base of the cere, and around the eye.

405690_342203345813501_2137508284_n.jpg

430809_342203372480165_100000715147607_1163685_1787127012_n.jpg

Ok Mike,

Lets get rolling on the Feb challenge!

Any ideas??? What the next one is going to be, or are you going to wait till after Valentines day?

I liked everyones Eagles.

If anyone out there ever needs original artwork just let me know!

I am sure we can work something out:)