Beautiful work. I've got a SOG Power Lock and I really need to build a sheath for it.

How thick was your leather? I tried making my first leather shealth for a spyderco Manix out of 8-9 oz leather. Made a mess out of it, was too thick i think.

Good job. Nice fit, even stitching and great finish!:thumbsup:

Beautiful work. I've got a SOG Power Lock and I really need to build a sheath for it.

Ditto!! That looks great.

Spence, I could've typed that exact message. I finished a kydex holster for my PowerLock, but I haven't started a leather one yet. It's on the TO DO LIST!!

Worm

Thats a great looking sheath. I need to make one of those for my benchmade. Thanks for sharing.

How thick was your leather? I tried making my first leather shealth for a spyderco Manix out of 8-9 oz leather. Made a mess out of it, was too thick i think.

It's 8-9 oz veg tanned. I started with a piece about 3" larger on each side. I cut the top edge and used a grooving tool to make the decorative groove. Then I beveled and burnished the top edge. After that I soaked the leather for 30-40 seconds. I put my knife on a board and started forming. It wanted to relax so I stapled it to the board which helped keep it formed. Then I dried it in the oven. The lowest setting on my oven is 170F so I left the door open a crack.

After that I soaked the leather for 30-40 seconds.

This could be what I had done wrong, I only dampened the leather with a sponge, then as it returned to normal began to try and form the leather around my manix. So soaked as in submerged the leather in water?

This could be what I had done wrong, I only dampened the leather with a sponge, then as it returned to normal began to try and form the leather around my manix. So soaked as in submerged the leather in water?

Yes, soaked it in warm water. It bubbled and squeaked for a bit, when it stopped I pulled it out and it was very flexible and easy to form. In that state it doesn't hold the shape very well so you have to keep molding it as it dries. I'm very glad I cut the leather over sized so I could staple it down well outside of the stitch area. I've heard others say to make some relief cuts to get it to conform but I didn't have to with such a small knife. I put it in the oven for 10 minutes, took it out and did some shaping with a bone folder, then back in the oven for 10. Repeat.

Question: Would you have left the pocket clip on or removed it? I decided to leave it on, I think it gives the sheath interesting lines.

Edited by CoteCraftworks

The reason I am wanting to make a sheath for my Manix is because its quite large and heavy for a pocket knife. I carried it cliped in my left pant pocket for a few weeks even though I am right handed and would rather deploy from that side. I had to carry it on my left because in my right I usually have keys, a cell phone, a pen, and pocket change. In my opinion its a bit heavy and big to carry in a pocket. So for my manix I have already removed the pocket clip as I doubt that I would ever carry it with the clip if I had a nice sheath for it. Those are my reasons for removing the clip. Personally I like the look of a clean sheath and would remove the clip, but in your case I do like the shape the clip has given and in a sense I bet it sorta helps "lock" the knife in the sheath.

Excellent work, thanks for sharing.

First attempt at making something out of leather. I'm loving this! I decided to leave the pocket clip on, it would probably look better without it.

Nice work all together...edges, forming, stitching, finish, color. I just made one for my Kershaw and now i am looking to buy another knife just to make a sheath for it...lol..

Thanks for posting !!!

Nice work! I am about to attempt something similar. What edger was used on yours?

Nice work! I am about to attempt something similar. What edger was used on yours?

Um, I just used 100 grit sand paper (might have been 150) on a random orbit sander. Then dyed and burnished with a dowel. That's all I had to work with.

First attempt at making something out of leather. I'm loving this! I decided to leave the pocket clip on, it would probably look better without it.

I think it's cool. Your first thing huh? SIGH, I'm not there after about 20 tries, LOL.