KAYAK45

Trading Machines

My wife laid down the law and in order to get a Campbell I need to sell my 111W155 and my beloved CB 4500.

Both are great machines, but I cannot afford all the great machines of the world. Or that is what my wife says.

Should I do it??

When I bought the CB I was banished to the basement for a week. Fair trade! Worth it.

Now I what a better stitch and the Campbell is my choice.

What do you guys and galls think is a fair trade here?

whatdoyouthink.gif

Kevin

PS: I would also sell my Singer 251-3 and my Union Stitch to do this.

I still would have my 31-15, servo motor and roller foot.

Edited by KAYAK45

I think you still might be short of a Campbell. You really don't NEED it, you have the Union Lock, they lay down a beautiful stitch.

Art

My wife laid down the law and in order to get a Campbell I need to sell my 111W155 and my beloved CB 4500.

Both are great machines, but I cannot afford all the great machines of the world. Or that is what my wife says.

Should I do it??

When I bought the CB I was banished to the basement for a week. Fair trade! Worth it.

Now I what a better stitch and the Campbell is my choice.

What do you guys and galls think is a fair trade here?

whatdoyouthink.gif

Kevin

PS: I would also sell my Singer 251-3 and my Union Stitch to do this.

I still would have my 31-15, servo motor and roller foot.

Mine is not a Union Lock, it,s a production Union Chain! If I had the lock I wouldn't trade. You are correct.

And yes I am still a few short..say.. $3,000. I can do that.

Kevin

Edited by KAYAK45

I once bought a guitar amp, and I had to get rid of a car before I was allowed to bring the amp upstairs.

I don't know what kind of work you're planning to do, I own 2 Landis 3's, I've had a Union Lock for close to 30 years, but I've put in the most time on a Campbell and unless you are doing production of some kind, I prefer the Campbell. It has a positive stitch length adj. that you can repeat if you need to. You can also backstitch on it easily, which is not practical on the Union and when you stitch fast on the Union, the stitch shortens up, so you might have one length stitch on one side of a strap and another on the other side when you are "running home". You usually can't go fast enough on a Campbell to have that problem. The Landis 3's I've used didn't pull quite as nice a stitch as the Campbell, but that could be because of wear.

Good luck,

Kevin

Kevin.

Question about you comment about "unless your doing production work". Yes I want to do shop production work making belts and holsters.

You have used the Campbell. Why not for "production", at least at the individual level?

I can buy any machine I want, but...I'm using my retirement savings. Would you suggest a different approach?

Another Kevin

I am also looking to get a Cambell/Randall machine. I have a Landis 3 and love it. I completely rebuild it and it is a very tight. I would give Keith Pommer a call 605-372-4523. He usually has a good selection of nice machines.

No, I don't mean the Campbell is not good for production work. I think the Campbell has a speed limit of 300 stitches per minute and the Union is capable of 800. (Now I'm looking at the Campbell manual and I don't know where I got that figure, I think it is right though)

The Campbell is foolproof. We had one in the shop that had been leased since 1947, it was rebuilt in the late seventies and it was as dependable as an anvil after that. The only reason we got rid of it was that the rent went up to $45.00 per month and I really wasn't useing it much anymore. I sometimes wish I had bought it but I already had a Landis 3 at home.

Kevin

PS I was bidding against Keith when I got my Landis 3.

HAHA hahum ha hunm! Only 300 stitches per minute. Hahahum! That's not a limitation for me.

Thanks for the input.

Keith got a really good deal on a Landis 3 a couple years ago at Weavers. I wanted to get it, but didn't want to bid against Keith. I really don't need two 3s. I just like rebuilding them. lol

No, I don't mean the Campbell is not good for production work. I think the Campbell has a speed limit of 300 stitches per minute and the Union is capable of 800. (Now I'm looking at the Campbell manual and I don't know where I got that figure, I think it is right though)

The Campbell is foolproof. We had one in the shop that had been leased since 1947, it was rebuilt in the late seventies and it was as dependable as an anvil after that. The only reason we got rid of it was that the rent went up to $45.00 per month and I really wasn't useing it much anymore. I sometimes wish I had bought it but I already had a Landis 3 at home.

Kevin

PS I was bidding against Keith when I got my Landis 3.