Sign in to follow this  
West Coaster

Marking Leather

Hello, I have a problem with a current project. Does anyone know of a pen or marking system that will come off without leaving a stain on the leather? I would use it for marking the center or tracing material and cutting it out.

Thanks!

nope there isnt a pen to do that but i had that problem when i first started out but what u do is get a ball point modeling toll and while the leather is dry make marks on it but not to deep then when u wet it they should go away and leave a slight line that usual goes away but u can still see it sometimes but after dying the leather if the line is soft enough itll go away

Any art store will carrie a stylus with different size tips.

I have used water erasable markers for sewing (cloth, not leather) for quite a few years. Don't leave the work anywhere sun can get to it, or it will leave a yellow residue on your work. also, wipe it off as soon as possible for the same reason.

I stopped using it on muslin and silk because it would appear to vanish.. then after a few months yellow lines would appear. Didn't seem to happen so much on cotton and never on synthetic fabrics.

No idea how it reacts with leather, ok I guess if Bob Klenda is using it.. just thought I would add in my experience with the pens.

Natalie

Silver pens.! Mark and wipe off leather.

my wife's just gave me some Saral paper to use when in a bind. She had it left over from embroidery. I saw that there was someone else here using it as well.

http://www.saralpaper.com/products.html

Hi where is a place to get these pens thanks Hauss

Silver pens.! Mark and wipe off leather.

Springfield leather, and about any other good finder. Maybe not in catalog, just ask.

Kevin

Thanks for rapid feedback. This was my first post. I got into a bind by marking leather with a silver pen. The type was: Uni-ball gel impact made by Sanford. I swear I have had success with this pen until last week when it won't come off. Instead of wiping clean it smears and gives me a wonderful and awful silver coating. I will resort to using a stylus. But I will look into what Kendall makes.