Sign in to follow this  
hh1302

Want To Do This, But Slightly Confused......

I'm still kind of new to all of this, but have been following along on tutorials, other sites, etc, but have come across something that has me puzzled.

I have a ca 1950s [what we call a] dogging saddle. Basically slick fork with a very low, very sloped cantle with Cheyenne roll. I've been using it to introduce horses to a saddle because, should they roll, there's nothing there to hang up, drag, etc. But anyway, I digress.

The stitching on the horn cover has torn and "opened"--for lack of a better term--revealing the insides. It is a Mexican/pelican style horn, and from looking at pictures on here, I know that what i can see are the four nails that went through the horn cover and--supposedly--into the tree originally. But, there's no rawhide around the horn. It is steel, and the "bowl" under where the horn cap should be is just a hollow bowl of steel. Inside the bowl, there are some chunks of something unidentifiable to me. It looks almost like clay, broken into dried chunks. If you scratch a rough edge on lumber, etc, it marks it like chalk. I've been wanting to try my hand at some stitching, and would like to do this repair. But I need to know what to put back in the bowl, etc. I'll try to get some pics in the next day or so if this isn't a clear enough description.

Any advice/information would be appreciated.

Hugh