jbags

Water Stains...any Thoughts?

Hey guys, I'm looking for some advice. Recently I began noticing water stains on the leather after drying. I have read through old post to try to figure out the issue, but not sure what to think. I have been using a space heater to speed up the drying process...could that be causing the problems? I have hard water, so I soaked one mag pouch in "bottled" water to see if there was a difference, both came out with problem areas. I also re-soaked one in good water, but it dried with the same marks. I have seen a lot of quality defects in the leather (cheap), but mainly discolored bumps not these obvious water marks that become visible when drying. I don't recall this happening before, I think the only thing I have changed is using the heater. Could it be drying too fast? too hot? I try to keep it about 120-130F but I know it has gotten higher at times. Thanks for the help!

post-12047-000267000 1328245719_thumb.jp

post-12047-010076400 1328245677_thumb.jp

Edited by jbags

Hey guys, I'm looking for some advice. Recently I began noticing water stains on the leather after drying. I have read through old post to try to figure out the issue, but not sure what to think. I have been using a space heater to speed up the drying process...could that be causing the problems? I have hard water, so I soaked one mag pouch in "bottled" water to see if there was a difference, both came out with problem areas. I also re-soaked one in good water, but it dried with the same marks. I have seen a lot of quality defects in the leather (cheap), but mainly discolored bumps not these obvious water marks that become visible when drying. I don't recall this happening before, I think the only thing I have changed is using the heater. Could it be drying too fast? too hot? I try to keep it about 120-130F but I know it has gotten higher at times. Thanks for the help!

post-12047-000267000 1328245719_thumb.jp

post-12047-010076400 1328245677_thumb.jp

only thing i can think of(and i could be wrong) is that either;

A ) the quality of the leather is poor

or

B ) you're soaking the leather too long.

if i'm submerging the leather, i don't hold the leather in the water for more than 5 to 8 seconds. i also dry it in the oven.

i've never had that problem.

388900_163407300424966_100002670926782_254973_938888458_n1.jpg

Edited by randypants

Yep, all leather is definitely not created equal. Just like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get. Many things show up after it is wet. Sometimes I will wet an area before I cut out my parts just to make sure that some blemish or imperfection has not been hidden by a crafty tanner.

Drying leather with a blow dryer is always risky and I try to avoid it if possible, but that is not always practical either. Drying naturally is best, as it dries more evenly. For molding a holster, you need not thoroughly soak your piece. Just a quick dunk to make it pliable usually works best and takes less time waiting for it to dry. The marks in your photos don't appear to be from over heating, though. The tan overall color does, but the blacken spots are really odd. They almost look like iron stains. Try some oxalic acid, or wood bleach on them. Or, just start over with a better piece of leather.

What water marks? I only see character ...want to eliminate? Just do black stuff.

Thanks for the advice guys. I am going to try doing a few pieces without the heater and see if it makes a difference. I want to also try the heater method with a different hide, to single out the quality issue.

Rayban, that is great advice! I had actually about decided that also. I did one piece in black and it came out fine. this hide might be destined for black products!

Thanks for the advice guys. I am going to try doing a few pieces without the heater and see if it makes a difference. I want to also try the heater method with a different hide, to single out the quality issue.

Rayban, that is great advice! I had actually about decided that also. I did one piece in black and it came out fine. this hide might be destined for black products!

I was being a bit sarcastic, per usual, but I've had the same results as you sometimes with tans and brown, but never with black.....so I've thought of doing just black too, and avoid the frustration......but now I call it my "antique" look.