JET4

Bissonnette Edgers

I'm looking to upgrade a few of my tools but don't really know much about "better" tools out there. I find myself using an Osbourne #3 bissonnette edger the most, but I'm not always happy with the way it cuts or sharpens. Does anyone have a suggestion for a better bissonnette? I looked at the Douglas one, but would like suggestion for others out there. I use this tool enough that I don't mind spending a little money.

Thanks,

JET

I would say that Bob Douglas and Ron's tools are probably at the top of the food chain. I cannot afford neither, so I stick to the middle of the road like Barry King edgers.

http://www.ronstools.com/edgers.pdf

http://www.barrykingtools.com/edgers.htm

I have a set of Bob's and sure like them. Unless something has changed with the new guy who bought Ron's business, Ron didn't make bisonettes. Of the old line makers, I have some favorites. I have a set of Rosecrans bisonettes, and believe they might have been the first to make them. I really like them, followed closely by the older Osbornes.

Thanks Bruce....I wasn't sure....I almost listed Bob Beard until I checked his catalog and found out that he didn't make them either.

I wouldn't say the Barry King edgers are middle of the road, they are very good edgers. I have three Ron's edgers (round edge edgers), one Horse Shoe Brand (round bottom edger) and one Barry King bissonnette edger. They are all very nice tools and I'd say the Barry King is as good as any of them. I've never tried the Bob Douglas edgers but I have a couple of his awl blades and if his edgers are anything like the awl blades then they are great too.

I would say that Bob Douglas and Ron's tools are probably at the top of the food chain. I cannot afford neither, so I stick to the middle of the road like Barry King edgers.

http://www.ronstools.com/edgers.pdf

http://www.barryking....com/edgers.htm

One thing to watch for on bisonettes is the width of the blade stock. Some makers use the same width for all sizes they make or at least use stock that is too wide for the smaller sizes. That means on the small hole ones and thin leather, you have excessive width on each side. You can't lay a strap flat on the bench and run the edger or else you have to hold the edger almost flat with the surface. To run them at a 45, you have to have them on the edge of the bench. Not very handy. You can also grind them down to narrow them up.

I wouldn't say the Barry King edgers are middle of the road, they are very good edgers. I have three Ron's edgers (round edge edgers), one Horse Shoe Brand (round bottom edger) and one Barry King bissonnette edger. They are all very nice tools and I'd say the Barry King is as good as any of them. I've never tried the Bob Douglas edgers but I have a couple of his awl blades and if his edgers are anything like the awl blades then they are great too.

They are......I play with Douglas' tools at his table every year! And, maybe the term 'middle of road' was probably not a good choice on my part. I own the whole set of BK edgers and I agree with you that they are good and have worked well for me. Plus, they are affordable even for the hobbyist. I certainly cannot justify the expense for Douglas tools. People that make money off their leather works may be able to pull it off, but that is not me.

I'm looking to upgrade a few of my tools but don't really know much about "better" tools out there. I find myself using an Osbourne #3 bissonnette edger the most, but I'm not always happy with the way it cuts or sharpens. Does anyone have a suggestion for a better bissonnette? I looked at the Douglas one, but would like suggestion for others out there. I use this tool enough that I don't mind spending a little money.

Thanks,

JET

I might suggest that you get a set C.S. OSBURN Bossonnette Edgers. They are great and sharpen eaisly. The steel is great. They consist of sizes 00-0-1-2-3-4-5. To sharpen them, Get some good string/ thread the same size. Wax or affix oil of some type and put jewelers on it. This always does a job for me. Have been using these since 1978, Just try one of your favorite size. GADDABOUT davidg@jcom.home.ne.np

well, it was worth getting out of bed because i just learned something today - how to sharpen an edger. i've been trying to do it with a jeweler's file and no joy. thanks for enlightening me, gaddabout. jeweler's on a string? cool!

I picked up a Bob Douglas one this year at the Wichita Falls show, it is amazing. Barry Kings are nice too, but like Bruce said whatever you get, look a the thickness. I'm trying to find a good one now for doing thinner leather around tight curves. I bought a "tight spot" edger (like a super bent over bissonette) and I can't get it to stay steady because the edge of the tool drags the table and not the leather.

Wow, thanks for the replies guys and gals. This thread went for awhile without replies and has since exploded! You guys are great.

A few more questions.

Does someone have a general guide for what edger size to use on what weight leather? I use a #3 a lot on 12-14 oz latigo, but I'm not sure if this is even the right size. I do get a nice rounded edge after burnishing so it can't be too bad.

Also, are the sizes fairly consistent across brands. I currently have a few sizes of CS Osbourne edgers, but think I may move up a few steps to the King edgers (thanks to this thread!). How will my Osbourne #3 Bissonnette compare to the King #3?

Thanks in advance,:You_Rock_Emoticon:

John

John

I think it's just personal preference. I myself like to use a old #2 osborne on most things.

Mike

Wow, thanks for the replies guys and gals. This thread went for awhile without replies and has since exploded! You guys are great.

A few more questions.

Does someone have a general guide for what edger size to use on what weight leather? I use a #3 a lot on 12-14 oz latigo, but I'm not sure if this is even the right size. I do get a nice rounded edge after burnishing so it can't be too bad.

Also, are the sizes fairly consistent across brands. I currently have a few sizes of CS Osbourne edgers, but think I may move up a few steps to the King edgers (thanks to this thread!). How will my Osbourne #3 Bissonnette compare to the King #3?

Thanks in advance,:You_Rock_Emoticon:

John

I just checked and the Douglas bisonettes are no longer listed in Sheridan Leather Outfitters site. You might call them and see if they have any left that aren't listed.

A lot of the information in this thread is a couple years old. To update my portion - I have since put together a pretty complete set of Rosecrans and sold my Douglas set. Nothing wrong with the Douglas ones, I just didn't need two sets. The Douglas ones are closer to the Rosecrans patterns than others.