Paddy58

Sailrite Ls-1 Sewing Machine.

Hello. My name is Patrick. Most folks call me Paddy. My wife calls me things you can't put on a family site. Anyway, I'm new to the leather sewing machine world and was wondering if anybody had any experience with the Sailrite brand of machines. I am interested in machines that will sew medium weight veg-tan for uses such as dog collars and leashes, belts, wallets, handbags, etc. The person I'm dealing with is confident that it will be more than adequate for what I need and I semi-trust him in that he has already told me that the walking foot that comes with the machine could mar the surface of the leather, but that another foot is available for that. I just though I would solicit the opinions of those that really do know this stuff and who don't have a dog in the fight, as in trying to sell me something. However, if Cobra Steve (or any other representative of a machine manufacturer) would like to comment, please feel free.

They are ok machines for sewing canvas & etc and I have sold them to inmates in prisons(do to space limitations) but to be honest they do not work that great because you can't use any thread bigger than # 92,some times they have problems with various parts breaking,I don't know if they are pushing them to the limits or what but they tell they just sew wallets & belts.

It would be great if they held up better since there portable, but they are really just a modified household type of machine.

I feel you would be money ahead to get an Industrial Machine and as long as you got the correct machine you will be able to spend more time sewing & get a better looking job done to.

Bob

I don't think you will get much of a sales pitch on here, but you should call the three machine guys at the top of the page and talk to all of them.

I have one of those Sailrite machines of the LZ variety that used to ride in the back of the van when I did canvas work. They made life better as they were light, ran on an inverter, and would hold up in that type of work. It was also a hobby and I didn't run it 8 hours a day.

It would not stand up very long doing dog collars or really any work over 4oz veg for very long. I wouldn't run much more than garment weight through it more than occasionally. The Sailrite is however the best of that ilk, some of the others are really bad on QC. There's plastic in them there machines.

If you want to make a lot of collars, get a real machine from a real Brick and Mortar Dealer, like the advertisers at the top of the page. They set up the machines for leather and while this might sound like marketing hype, it isn't. The local sewing machine shops and the eBay guys don't know how to set up for veg tan leather, Steve, Bob, and Ronnie know how and do a good job of it.

Art

Hello. My name is Patrick. Most folks call me Paddy. My wife calls me things you can't put on a family site. Anyway, I'm new to the leather sewing machine world and was wondering if anybody had any experience with the Sailrite brand of machines. I am interested in machines that will sew medium weight veg-tan for uses such as dog collars and leashes, belts, wallets, handbags, etc. The person I'm dealing with is confident that it will be more than adequate for what I need and I semi-trust him in that he has already told me that the walking foot that comes with the machine could mar the surface of the leather, but that another foot is available for that. I just though I would solicit the opinions of those that really do know this stuff and who don't have a dog in the fight, as in trying to sell me something. However, if Cobra Steve (or any other representative of a machine manufacturer) would like to comment, please feel free.

I bought a portable walking foot machine a couple of years back. I sewed some tool rolls, but due to space, I was unable to keep it out. It is sitting in my garage stored.

One of our retired members who has hung up his swivel knife had one and tried to use it for purses and handbags. It was up for sale a few months later and he went to an industrial head set up for leather.

If you're planning on making one or two, the Sailrite might work for you, but like other posts have said: You'll be better off getting a machine set up for sewing leather.

I do believe that if you sew belt leather on a new Sailrite and you bend or break parts, the warranty may be voided. They will sell you replacement parts though.

Thanks for all the informative replies. I knew that this was the right place to check. I have little money to spend and none to waste, so based on the information I've received here, I think I'll just save my pennies for one of the machines I see advertised on this site. I'd just as soon give my money to those who have helped support this site with their advertising dollars anyways.

The LS-1 works fine for light weight garment leather and upto 1 to 1.5 oz veg-tan when doubled over, but anything thicker becomes a problem do to the maximum height of the walking foot when raised to maximum height. .

The LS-1 works fine for light weight garment leather and upto 1 to 1.5 oz veg-tan when doubled over, but anything thicker becomes a problem do to the maximum height of the walking foot when raised to maximum height. .

Thanks. That's kinda what I thought. The portability and price were attractive, but I think I'll save my pennies for a better option.

One option not yet mentioned is a used refurbished machine from one the these dealers. I do believe they all sell GOOD used machines. Maybe no more than a new mahine that is to light.

Thanks. That's kinda what I thought. The portability and price were attractive, but I think I'll save my pennies for a better option.

I don't think your friend is cheating you. The thing will sew through very heavy leather with ease, a quarter inch or more, but as others have said, it may not have the thread capacity you would want for the products you are sewing. Recently I was trying to sew velcro onto a leather patch with mine. To set the tension I sewed through some heavy leather, like it wasn't there. But when I applied the velcro it would not touch it. Kinda strange. I was using ball end needles, and I haven't tried it yet with leather needles.

Another limitation is that while parts are available from Sailrite, they are very expensive. While it is not a unique machine, simple parts like the foot are not available on ebay.

I think it is a very useful machine around the home, and for some leather, but you are actually straying into harness work. The problem there is that while there are deals, they are not really great. Second hand machines are currently often as expensive as the better knock-offs, which can be better machines since they may have undated features and electronics. Maybe the heavy bit isn't as good as on an oldster, but your production might be better. So basically you have people who think they are giving you a great deal selling you an old machine, who want more for it than a new Cowboy or Cobra. Then you have some unique old machines that are still very valuable, over all it is just not a very easy place to find a reasonably priced machine. Cheaper than 10 years ago for sure, but not new economics cheap.

So, to some extent it depends on price. If you are being offered an LZ1 for 10% vs 90%, and does it have the monster wheel, and a good electronics package. There comes a point where a deal is good enough it is no-cost to carry and later resell. These are prized machines among yachties, so there is a market. You can fill the foot with epoxy so it doesn't mar, and then when you go to sell it, just take a 3 corner file to the epoxy.

I don't think your friend is cheating you. The thing will sew through very heavy leather with ease, a quarter inch or more, but as others have said, it may not have the thread capacity you would want for the products you are sewing. Recently I was trying to sew velcro onto a leather patch with mine. To set the tension I sewed through some heavy leather, like it wasn't there. But when I applied the velcro it would not touch it. Kinda strange. I was using ball end needles, and I haven't tried it yet with leather needles.

Another limitation is that while parts are available from Sailrite, they are very expensive. While it is not a unique machine, simple parts like the foot are not available on ebay.

I think it is a very useful machine around the home, and for some leather, but you are actually straying into harness work. The problem there is that while there are deals, they are not really great. Second hand machines are currently often as expensive as the better knock-offs, which can be better machines since they may have undated features and electronics. Maybe the heavy bit isn't as good as on an oldster, but your production might be better. So basically you have people who think they are giving you a great deal selling you an old machine, who want more for it than a new Cowboy or Cobra. Then you have some unique old machines that are still very valuable, over all it is just not a very easy place to find a reasonably priced machine. Cheaper than 10 years ago for sure, but not new economics cheap.

So, to some extent it depends on price. If you are being offered an LZ1 for 10% vs 90%, and does it have the monster wheel, and a good electronics package. There comes a point where a deal is good enough it is no-cost to carry and later resell. These are prized machines among yachties, so there is a market. You can fill the foot with epoxy so it doesn't mar, and then when you go to sell it, just take a 3 corner file to the epoxy.

Massive, good reply. Thanks.