He is using a beader blade. The first pass is being cut light because he is bacicly freehanding it. Once he establishes a line he then cuts it deep.

Aaron

So far I've watched about four of these vids - at this point I'm undecided as to whether this guy is motivating me to push harder to improve my knife skills, or to just give up and take up gardening! LMAO

Back to you tube I go for some more punishment ;0) Picking up some good pointers just watching this :)

Thanks for the link!

Rob

So far I've watched about four of these vids - at this point I'm undecided as to whether this guy is motivating me to push harder to improve my knife skills, or to just give up and take up gardening! LMAO

Back to you tube I go for some more punishment ;0) Picking up some good pointers just watching this :)

Thanks for the link!

Rob

I just hope he speaks or writes English well enough that I can ask him questions.

He is in japan, because one of the videos where he is dyeing some leather, he was using a Japanese newspaper underneath.

However in certain shots, it seems he is a Caucasian. Not Japanese. And the music he is blasting away in the background is usually rock n roll. So he could well be a Caucasian living in Japan.

Hi All,

Is it my imagination and lack of screen contrast or did he cut that whole pattern basically freehand? If so.... I think I shall also just go back to gardening...:surrender:

-Aaron

EDIT: sorry. for reference purposes I am looking at "muvie0004.avi"

Edited by sandycreek

Is it my imagination and lack of screen contrast or did he cut that whole pattern basically freehand? If so.... I think I shall also just go back to gardening...:surrender:

You shouldn't go gardening, he has pattern transferred on the leather for sure, you can see it in some of movies :welcome:

The border tool he is using looks like it is made of a medal-type product. The plastic ones I buy break after several attempts to use, probably tightening screw to much. Does anyone know where to find the medal ones?

Suicide, In one of the videos it shows that he free hand draws his patterns on the leather with a modelling tool. The only template I've seen him use is a simple circle template for the basic placement of the flowers.

It looks like he's been doing this a long time and from the stacks of leather cut outs he's working on he's probably done thousands of each item he's making and has simply memorized the process. There is no doubt that this guy has truly mastered these items. It's amazing to watch him do it. If I asked you to draw a simple line drawing 5000 times by about the 300th one you should have it memorized and be able to do them without a reference.

For what it's worth, From the title spellings of his videos he is probably Japanese. He has a verbal knowledge of English but not too good at the written side. "muvie" = movie "wacht" = watch and so on. Also the Japanese love American music just as much as they love American baseball. It's no surprise to me that a Japanese person would listen to it while working.

Has anyone every worked with the sonic cutter he uses? Wondering what they cost and how easy/hard they are to use. Not that I'll ever probably need one....

Thanks! Jack. But what I am referring to is in the above U-tube, when he is using beader blade at the beginning of the video, there is a guide attached to the swivel knife. It helps keep the cut line straight. This is one metal (not medal) (looks like brass) and all I have ever found is plastic.

Sorry Snapmyfenger, I wasn't actually responding to you in particular. I see what you mean though. I've never seen a metal one either. It's brass so it's soft metal and easy to work with using a hacksaw and drill. You could probably make one or have one made at a local metal shop.

FWIW I stripped out my plastic one in the first day I had it. I got a slightly larger and longer screw with larger threads and put it in using the screw to rethread the stripped hole. Haven't had a problem since.

anyone happen to notice that in one video he is free handing tiny letters? It says Herman Oak and then MO. USA

Is this guy in Missouri!??!!!!!! Making items for a Missouri retailer????

On www.goodsjapan.jp, there is a swivel knife border tool made of brass.

I used to envy those who could draw patterns using computers. I even looked up digital die cutters when I read that one of our members used it to trace directly on leather. But I found I could neither afford it nor have the space for it. (I even have to put away my 6 inch splitter when not in use)

However, looking at these videos, instead of feeling deflated, I felt inspired.

If one day I could freehand patterns like this, anywhere I go, with just some leather and a swivel knife in my pocket, I can carve. Everything in my hands and head.

For now, I'm just gonna practise and practise.

It looks like he's been doing this a long time and from the stacks of leather cut outs he's working on he's probably done thousands of each item he's making and has simply memorized the process. There is no doubt that this guy has truly mastered these items. It's amazing to watch him do it. If I asked you to draw a simple line drawing 5000 times by about the 300th one you should have it memorized and be able to do them without a reference.

Yep, you most likely right. :cheers:

As for myself I would escape for fishing after 30th (not 300th) times of such exercise :)

However, looking at these videos, instead of feeling deflated, I felt inspired.

Yep, me too!

I feel I can do the same after 3248th wallet with the same pattern.... or may be after 3249th, I'm not sure :showoff: