Sign in to follow this  
lazybum

Leather Shrinkage

Hi

I've been trying to make a wet formed phone case recently and been encountering the problem of unwanted shrinking. What happens is after wet forming the length tends to shrink resulting in the case becoming too short to cover the entire phone.

I was wondering if preshrinking the leather by soaking it in warm water and then allowing it to dry before trying to wet form it might prevent it from shrinking after wet forming?

What are your thoughts?

Always leave a border. I usually leave anywhere from 3/4" to 1". You will trim this part after your mold is done.

Or try wrapping your phone a few extra times to make it a little bit larger. Then when it shrinks it will fit.

Aaron

for what its worth I would follow both suggestions. The wrapping helps with "width" shrinkage.

Yeah I considered leaving some allowance. But I can't figure out how much allowance to give. Due to the shape trimming cleanly after wet forming is going to be difficult.

Of course I can do some trial and error but because this is more of a one off project I don't really want to waste too much leather on it.

It could be the leather is a bit too wet when you are forming it. But, the general rule is you shape, dry, then trim.