NewYorkerInSydney

Pattern Maker Software

Hello everyone,

Perhaps this question has been asked before but I am not able to find it in the search. I would like to start making my patterns with software so that they are more accurate. Can you all tell me what software you all use to create designs that I can later print out for templates?

I really appreciate your help.

Cheers,

NYIS

Oh and Id like to mention that Illustrator is out of the question as I can't afford that, but Im not looking for free software either. Im happy to pay for something that works well and is very affordable. Thanks again.

I use Photoshop. There are some cool books that come with cd's with all the pictures from the book so you can print and resize them to fit what you need.

http://www.google.co...IwAg#ps-sellers

http://www.google.co...BDgK#ps-sellers

http://www.google.co...CDgK#ps-sellers

http://www.google.co...CTgK#ps-sellers

There is just a few I always see in Designers studios.

You can always borrow and download Illustrator, or photoshop if you know someone who has it, you just can't register it thats all....no need to spend tons of cash! Just ask some friends if they have something you can download from them. I would never pay 700 bucks for the photoshop I have! I got it from a friend, I am running a new Imac, and it has been running now 2 years on this computer...I didn't spend a dime! My friend makes websites and pro advertising, so every second new photoshop that comes out he gets. He always skips a generation,and then I get a copy of it. SWEET! It is easy, just ask around!

Edited by chancey77

I also use Photoshop, but Gimp is free and will work also. Most software has a free trial to download, so I don't see anything wrong with trying out what is available and see what works for you. There are some great pattern maker drafting software out there, but getting used to the interface takes so much time, that I find it easier to just draft it up in Ps or Illustrator.

I use GIMP for everything I do. It's basically a fully developed free Open Source version of Photosop. There are a couple of free vector programs that are highly recommended somewhere on here too, but I haven't had a chance to try them out yet. I need to start working with vector art since I'm starting to see how powerful it can be.

Hello good people,

Thanks very much for your suggestions. I am now playing around with a few, but haven't made up my mind yet which I like better. I really appreciate your help! :)

Kindly,

NYIS

Hello good people,

Thanks very much for your suggestions. I am now playing around with a few, but haven't made up my mind yet which I like better. I really appreciate your help! :)

Kindly,

NYIS

Hi NYIS

for me, I use Coreldraw X5..

actually, I didn't have any proper education to use it, but it was pretty easy to understand

I didn't learn how to use it professionally, but at least the basics, such as how to make round, square or even custom shape.

the best thing from this software, you can draw and print with the exact measurement that you want.

for example, if you draw a line with 10cm length on the programme, you can print it exactly 10cm on the paper.

so you won't miss even 1mm on the paper.

after you print the pattern, stick it to a cardboard with paper glue, wait untill it dries and then cut it.

but the worst part is I need to zoom in and zoom out so many times because I only have 14'' screen notebook

I tried on my friend's pc which has 24'' screen, I felt it's easier and faster to finish the pattern.

hope this would be helpful.

Amor.

I use printshop 23.1 around $20.00+-.

You can import images resize them (it has ruled lines for inches) Create your own Text and

preset circles,squares stars that you can resize. Like for 4in coasters.post-13948-001386500 1330518584_thumb.jp.

Joe St

Gimp is good for graphics but I think what you really want for patterns is a vector graphics editor. There's a great open source programme calle inkscape. I use linux and it works really well, but I don't know if its gonna perform well in windows.

Here are a couple of good free ones.

http://www.serif.com/free-graphic-design-software/?MC=FSSDRAWPLUS

http://www.koffice.org/artwork/

You can also look for free cad software. With cad, you can have the pattern laser cut onto several types of material for permanent patterns, or you can even have the leather cut by laser.

Like Iron Pounder suggested, I also suggest trying Inkscape. It took me about 4 hours to get through the learning curve, but now I am designing wallet patterns with it. I absolutely love it, and I can print them out, tape down the paper to my leather and cut along the line. Its working really well for me, especially when prototyping a new design. I build a paper version of the item before I try cutting the leather. The link is: Inkscape.org

-Ryan

Hello everyone,

Thanks to you all for your great suggestions. I did trial versions of a few, but decided I love Inkscape the most, so I am trying to learn it now. So exciting. :) I appreciate your help greatly.

Regards,

NYIS

i have recently found myself making alot of debossing dies, and the need to resize and manipulate graphic and pattern pieces lately.

My 2cents on the subject. For the drawing of a pattern (raster/bitmap) or editing, I use Paintshop pro 9 - it tends to be bundled in with alot of different things like memory cards for cameras, but you can usually find it online for under $50 (newer versions are a little more difficult to use, and more expensive).

It has alot of options, and while it's not photoshop, it can do a fair amount of stuff and suits my needs. I have played a little with Gimp, and it does alot of what Paintshop Pro does, but I already know how to use Paintshop pro, so I stay with it.

Once you get your pattern drawn, using something like Inkscape to render it as a Vector image is great because you can resize the pattern without effecting line weight, curves and other factors (and it doesnt pixilate). I use Corel Draw x5 to do my rendering as Adobe Illustrator takes WAY too much effort if you hav to modify it and they REALLY like their software which is why they charge so much for it ;). When I do need to modify the image, I export from corel draw to a Tiff, edit it in Paint shop pro, then import it back in as a vector to corel again since I havent taken the time to learn how in corel draw. You should be able to use the same process for Inkscape or other Raster 2 Vector programs. I am a firm believer of not overspending on software till you need to ;)

Hope that helps?

vince

Hello everyone,

Thanks to you all for your great suggestions. I did trial versions of a few, but decided I love Inkscape the most, so I am trying to learn it now. So exciting. :) I appreciate your help greatly.

Regards,

NYIS

Try out Inkscape........free!

Try out Inkscape........free!

You did actually read the last post by NYIS, right?

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'm going to try Inkscape, as well. Is the SVG file format a fairly common format? (ie, Can this file type be opened in Illustrator and other programs, or exported to PDF, etc?)

abn, yes, SVG file can be opened and edited in Illustrator. (SVG = Scalable Vector Graphics).

I definitely second the notion that effecient pattern making should be done in a Vector program (Illustrator/Corel Draw) rather than a Pixel based program, like Photoshop.

Assuming your patterns are for cutting your leather peices to a specific shape for production, vector programs allow for the easiest editing of shapes. I use Illustrator for cutting templates on a laser, but also by just printing the design on paper and cutting it out for tracing.

I use Photoshop purely for image manipulation for engraving.

Pixlemator is a good photoshop alternative if you are on a Mac.

That being said, you can use Photoshops vector shape tools to crate vector based patterns, but it's a real pain - extremely inefficianet compared to a vector based program.

Thanks

D

Wow, it is great to see that so many leatherworkers are into computer thing as well. I feel elated when I can get my email opened. lol. I love technology but want to be one of those that sits at the machine, tells it what to do and it does it. ckl.

I have made, over the years, as far back as the TRS-80 Radio Shack computer, a valid effort to read articles and back then it was not very difficult. All of a sudden the computer thing exploded and zipped right on by this codger.

Purchased several web site building programs, purchased domain names and could never get it put together. Still have some around here and like a foolish old man, which I am, I purchased another web builder program. It sits alone in the corner. Description said something like, build your site in couple of hours and have online today. HUH??????? ckl. Didn't work for me. The lingo is beyond my understanding anymore. No idea what they are talking about when I read the articles. One thing I did learn. When I am having difficulty sleeping, nearly every night, all I have to do is begin reading one of the books about web publishing or other computer topics, and, lo and behold, I become very weary and find that sleep comes easy. Suppose I could give the developers a plug along those lines. ckl. Better than a sleeping pill.

All in good fun and one of lifes adventures. Someday soon, I will be boxing all of those programs and getting rid of them. Keep watching.

God Bless everyone.

Ray

Edited by raysouth