hobageeba

Consew 226R-1 Initial Setup/small Problems Help

Hey Guys,

I'm a new owner of a Consew 226R-1 and I need some help getting it all setup and sussing some problems out. I'm completely new to sewing machines (well, except for really cheap home machines) and am not the most mechanically inclined so please be patient with me. I spoke on the phone with Bob from Toledo Sewing Machines a bit today, who I bought a servo motor off, but I didn't want to bug him too much so I'm hoping some of you out there could give me a hand. Any help or suggestions whatsoever would be hugely appreciated. Thanks!

I have a million and one questions but I'm going to try and keep this concise and post a couple questions/problems at a time.

• One of the most noticeable problems I'm having is that after switching to 138 thread, the top thread won't manually feed when I try to pull on the thread without me giving it some slack by hand first. By that, I mean, I have to tug on the thread right after the first post it threads through to give it slack, then pull from where it exits the needle. There doesn't seem to be any excessive tension anywhere, it just seems to be a cumulative effect. This leads me to wonder if I'm threading it wrong, which by reading the manual and looking at all the comparative pictures and youtube videos I can find, it seems I'm doing it right.

• One thing Bob mentioned is that the tension discs may not be disengaging, which is actually true, but even with the tension discs screwed all the way loose so there's no tension on the thread, I still can't pull the thread from the needle.

• Obviously, another concern is fixing the tension discs. I do see that there's a metal plate on the back that pushes against a spring to disengage the threads, but I don't see any mechanism that would push the plate to disengage. Hmmm...

I'll attach some pictures of the whole setup as well as details of how I'm threading it. I am very likely screwing something up somewhere so let me know if you see something fishy. Thank you!

The whole setup:

post-18171-000193600 1329327349_thumb.jp

Threading detail:

post-18171-071587700 1329327345_thumb.jp

post-18171-037975800 1329327347_thumb.jp

post-18171-054862400 1329327350_thumb.jp

post-18171-000322000 1329327344_thumb.jp

post-18171-003109200 1329327342_thumb.jp

Just go through one hole in the top post. And fix that thread cup on the stand. They should both be horizontal with spools in place.

I wrap my thread around the three holes in the guide above the tension disks. You seem to have daisy wired it in and out.

If the lift mechanism fails to release the tension disks, unscrew the nut until it barely applies pressure. Does the lifter now separate the disks?

1. Yes > you had too much top and bottom tension. Loosen the bobbin spring so you can keep the top spring backed off some.
  2. No > loosen the set screw on the right side of the body for the top tension assembly. Push the tensioner assembly inward and tighten the set screw.

If reseating the tensioner fails to cause the disks to separate, the problem may be a worn, or misaligned push rod actuator. Remove the tensioner assembly completely and see if the thin rod in the center protrudes at least 1/16" beyond the back. If not, see if the retainer plate can be forced inward in the middle area. You must have some rod protruding out the back in order to have the disks separate.

If the rod stitcks out enough but fails to separate the disks, follow the path backwards to the lift lever. See if any parts or bent out of shape or loose.

You can replace any worn or bent parts, or the tensioner assembly, to restore normal operation of the lifter and tension release functions. The parts are definitely under one thousand dollars.

Here's a pic of the tension release bracket & the rod that pushes on the back of the tension unit,you need to see if this rod is moving foward when you lift the foot all the way up if so this bracket isn't broke,

the bracket right behind the tension is adjusted by bending it alittle towards the back of the machine.

You can shine a light into the side of your machine & look at this part & see if it's broken or not.

Bob

Thanks a ton guys! Gonna go through this one by one...

Just go through one hole in the top post. And fix that thread cup on the stand. They should both be horizontal with spools in place.

Just tried that and it seems better. Still pretty hard to pull though...is that just the nature of the thicker thread? The cup stands seemed wrong to me...ha. Will definitely fix it.

I wrap my thread around the three holes in the guide above the tension disks. You seem to have daisy wired it in and out.

I've seen pics of it both ways. The manual reads "Pass thread in weaving fashion through the three holes in guide.." I took that to mean up and down. Am currently trying it your way.

If the lift mechanism fails to release the tension disks, unscrew the nut until it barely applies pressure. Does the lifter now separate the disks?

Upon further inspection, it was moving it. Just a small amount so I didn't notice before. It could probably push it out a little further.

1. Yes > you had too much top and bottom tension. Loosen the bobbin spring so you can keep the top spring backed off some.

I think I may need to do a little of both of this as it is pushing, but not enough. As for loosening the bobbin tension...I can't figure out for the life of me how to do this from what the manual describes. Is one of these the screw/s you're supposed to adjust?

post-18171-087292700 1329353501_thumb.jp

If so, mine are near impossible to get to and adjust. Does it matter which one?

Is this what you refer to as the bobbing spring?

post-18171-081118700 1329353504_thumb.jp

And while we're at it, do you seat the bobbin so it spins counterclockwise like this:

post-18171-088565100 1329353498_thumb.jp

or clockwise like this:

post-18171-049702400 1329353500_thumb.jp

No > loosen the set screw on the right side of the body for the top tension assembly. Push the tensioner assembly inward and tighten the set screw.

Is this the set screw you're referring to?

post-18171-033957400 1329353503_thumb.jp

Thanks so much!

Thanks for the reply Bob. The picture didn't make it on your post?....

Here's a pic of the tension release bracket & the rod that pushes on the back of the tension unit,you need to see if this rod is moving foward when you lift the foot all the way up if so this bracket isn't broke,

the bracket right behind the tension is adjusted by bending it alittle towards the back of the machine.

You can shine a light into the side of your machine & look at this part & see if it's broken or not.

Bob

Ok,I found out the file is to large to upload here, so if you want to PM me your email address I'll email to you.

Thanks,Bob

Hey Guys,

I'm a new owner of a Consew 226R-1 and I need some help getting it all setup and sussing some problems out. I'm completely new to sewing machines (well, except for really cheap home machines) and am not the most mechanically inclined so please be patient with me. I spoke on the phone with Bob from Toledo Sewing Machines a bit today, who I bought a servo motor off, but I didn't want to bug him too much so I'm hoping some of you out there could give me a hand. Any help or suggestions whatsoever would be hugely appreciated. Thanks!

I have a million and one questions but I'm going to try and keep this concise and post a couple questions/problems at a time.

• One of the most noticeable problems I'm having is that after switching to 138 thread, the top thread won't manually feed when I try to pull on the thread without me giving it some slack by hand first. By that, I mean, I have to tug on the thread right after the first post it threads through to give it slack, then pull from where it exits the needle. There doesn't seem to be any excessive tension anywhere, it just seems to be a cumulative effect. This leads me to wonder if I'm threading it wrong, which by reading the manual and looking at all the comparative pictures and youtube videos I can find, it seems I'm doing it right.

• One thing Bob mentioned is that the tension discs may not be disengaging, which is actually true, but even with the tension discs screwed all the way loose so there's no tension on the thread, I still can't pull the thread from the needle.

• Obviously, another concern is fixing the tension discs. I do see that there's a metal plate on the back that pushes against a spring to disengage the threads, but I don't see any mechanism that would push the plate to disengage. Hmmm...

I'll attach some pictures of the whole setup as well as details of how I'm threading it. I am very likely screwing something up somewhere so let me know if you see something fishy. Thank you!

The whole setup:

post-18171-000193600 1329327349_thumb.jp

Threading detail:

post-18171-071587700 1329327345_thumb.jp

post-18171-037975800 1329327347_thumb.jp

post-18171-054862400 1329327350_thumb.jp

post-18171-000322000 1329327344_thumb.jp

post-18171-003109200 1329327342_thumb.jp

The thread is not between the discs in the fifth photo from the top. It looks to be behind the rear disc instead of between both disc.

Edited by busted

TensionBreakdown.jpg

Hope this image helps!

First thing I noticed is that 226R is SUPER clean. I haven't seen on like that in a long time.

I would do what Bob is recommending to do here, and Wiz is on the right path as well;

Bend index #9 tension release lever, this is behind the tension plate index #8. I would do this on the machine, wiht needle nose pliers. To set, adjust this, I would lower the feet down, and have both feet equal flat, or touching the feeder and needle plate at the same time. Then...Bend that tab so that there is a trifle of noticeable play between the plate index #9, and the not visible tension release rod. This is the rod that pushes the tension release lever whenever we lift the feet by hand lever or knee lifter. This way, we can remove the work from the machine easily, when the take up lever is at it's highest point.

Hope this is clear and helps!

Thank you so much! I'll definitely try that. I seriously appreciate your guys' time and help. So moving on with some more complete newbie questions:

• Still not sure which is the correct way for the bobbin to go in - Should it spin clockwise or counter-clockwise?

• When I oil, do I just give a few drops each time? Should I be hitting any other spots other than the spots market with red and the felt pad?

• On the topic of oiling - there's a big hole on the right side of the machine (the only hole marked with red on the right side) that's sort of a chasm into the machine...not sure what I'm supposed to be hitting with oil there.

Thanks!

TensionBreakdown.jpg

Hope this image helps!

First thing I noticed is that 226R is SUPER clean. I haven't seen on like that in a long time.

I would do what Bob is recommending to do here, and Wiz is on the right path as well;

Bend index #9 tension release lever, this is behind the tension plate index #8. I would do this on the machine, wiht needle nose pliers. To set, adjust this, I would lower the feet down, and have both feet equal flat, or touching the feeder and needle plate at the same time. Then...Bend that tab so that there is a trifle of noticeable play between the plate index #9, and the not visible tension release rod. This is the rod that pushes the tension release lever whenever we lift the feet by hand lever or knee lifter. This way, we can remove the work from the machine easily, when the take up lever is at it's highest point.

Hope this is clear and helps!

The bobbin goes in so it turns counterclockwise.

Oil anything w/hole & open the cover over the needlebar & oil all the pivoting joints in there too.

Also oil the outer part of the bobbincase everytime you go to use the machine & or everytime you replace the bobbin.

Open the top cover just to the left of the handwheel & you'll be able to see the raise part w/o oil hole in it .

On these oiling diagrams,the oil spots are marked with arrows.

Bob

post-7185-041591600 1329570432_thumb.jpg

post-7185-029491400 1329570467_thumb.jpg

Edited by sewmun

Holy smokes, that's a whole lot more than just the red spots!! I guess hitting all these spots becomes second nature after you've done it for a while.

Thanks for addressing the bobbin issue...I definitely had it going the wrong way!

The bobbin goes in so it turns counterclockwise.

Oil anything w/hole & open the cover over the needlebar & oil all the pivoting joints in there too.

Also oil the outer part of the bobbincase everytime you go to use the machine & or everytime you replace the bobbin.

Open the top cover just to the left of the handwheel & you'll be able to see the raise part w/o oil hole in it .

On these oiling diagrams,the oil spots are marked with arrows.

Bob

Hello everyone,

I'm new here and was needing help adjusting the bobbin tension on my Consew 226R-2 also. The manual I have must be the same one hobageeba has. It instructs you to turn the screw near the center of the spring... I have removed the bobbin and do not see anything that resembles a spring. Can anyone give me a "heads up" on where this spring is? I realize this thread is over a year old, but any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Here's some info from a Singer manual,use screw marked "AC" for tension adjustment.

post-7185-0-91308100-1383673277_thumb.jp

Edited by CowboyBob

Realize this is an old thread, but wanted to let others know how I solved my tension release problem.  Been sewing for years on my Consew 225 (bought used, great machine) without the tension release working - just pulled the thread at top to get the slack I needed.  After seeing this post I discovered that my tension assembly/machine had all the parts but disc #3 that has the slot closed (gap closed in the stud) so the pin (#5) that is pushed by rod in the machine when the foot is raised will separate the discs.  There are a total of 3 discs, 2 (#4) that tension the thread & the third (#3) to open them.  What a dumb discovery on my part, thanks to all of you on this forum.  All of you are the greatest, again thank you.  Ordered a new assembly & will adjust it as described here.  Herb 

Edited by herbworff
Clarify