cercyonis

*really* Gold Thread

I want to make a black bridle with gold stitching. I mean, as gold as I can get it. Finding heavy gold thread is a problem, though. The Thread Exchange has "gold" and "silver" but they look dull. It's tough to tell on a computer screen, but I think it's just kind of a burnished yellow color. Embroidery thread looks nice and metallic, but I can't find any heavy enough. Anyone have ideas? One person on the forum painted their thread with gold acrylic paint after stitching. I wonder if it can be painted before stitching? Hmmm...

~Jennifer

How about "blue jean gold" thread?

http://store.quiltin...com/023603.html

Yeah, I thought of that, but not thick enough. I ordered some bonded nylon off of someone on eBay last night that looks fairly shiny. I'll keep an eye out for metallic shiny, though! Thanks for the reply, Coop.

Have you looked at mylar gold thread? Google that and see if that will suit your purpose. Another possibility is gold colored Kevlar Thread that could be twisted into heavier threads and would add ultimate strength to the item.

I would check out embroider supply places and look for 'couching' thread. I have a roll that is made of some super pliable metal feeling stuff coated with gold, its very strong and would spin up ok into a thicker thread. I would take a picture but its in storage as I am trying to sell the house! half my craft room is in storage.. I miss it :-(

http://www.berlinembroidery.com/goldworkthreads1.htm#japanthreads is an example

Natalie

Thanks for the suggestions. The #207 gold thread I bought off of eBay fell through -- the guy was out of stock. :ranting2:

I bought some 1 mm metallic gold leather cord. Is it hard to hand sew with leather cord? Why wouldn't we use it, seeing as how we're working with leather? I'm still on the hunt for nylon #207 gold thread. The Thread Exchange is sending me a sample of theirs. Cool, eh?