Sign in to follow this  
redcell7

Heavy Metal Journal

still new to all this ...thanks for all the help ....journal cover for song writing...still have to sew everything together and add the 2 closing straps but almost there

post-16892-004871900 1329393505_thumb.jp

post-16892-099864700 1329393522_thumb.jp

post-16892-051561000 1329393762_thumb.jp

Cool! Heavy Metal! I like the background behind the Pentagal! Nice texture!

Very Nice :) Did you come up with the picture on the front cover? What tool did you use to background the rear cover, I cant quite make it out?

free stock flash image ......m655 m656 m657 craftool

Nice job. I like the way you put the pentagram at an angle. Its up to the viewer to see it as they want.

That's an odd request for a Bible cover! lol. I really like it. The skeleton really jumps out at you. I also like the background and the textures that you've created.

John

Nice one, would love to see it when all things are done.

Only thing I find is the lack of shading in the skulls and bones. Perhaps a little pear shading would give the skeletons more depth.

Anyway - keep up and thank you for sharing!

thanks guys ...its ment to be a music journal for a band member,,,,as for pear shading ...lol i never have used one ...i have a couple ...but unfortunatly ..here near the bayous there r not to many craftmans interested in leather so everything i do is trial and error ...not to many people u can call and say "how do i do this " so i plan on useing it once i hav a understanding of what the tool can do ...but thanks for the ideas and input ...this site is as close to a class is im going to get ......peace

still new to all this ...thanks for all the help ....journal cover for song writing...still have to sew everything together and add the 2 closing straps but almost there

Nice work...on the back cover with the pentagram....the background color goes from darker brown to lighter brown....did you do that by hand or with an airbrush? I'm looking for tips on how to fade a color from dark to light. Thanks!

i used paintbrushes on the small areas and a airbrush on the fades....let me tell you i have never picked a airbrush up till i got into leatherwork ...and it was not as scary as i thought a little practice and you can be fading colors by thee end od the day....i used spirit dyes cause acylic pigment need to be dilluted down and to get the right consistantcy is a bitch. it kept clogging my tip up ....if you r going to try acylics you can take liquidex airbrush medium ,it is used to cut and thin the colors, so you can make it flow through the tips .....50 /50 cut is a good place to start but you will have to adjust based on brand of paint ....if u use dyes (fiebings my choice) u use it straight out the bottle ....for this project i used mohagony on the very edge then dark brown , then light brown (all fiebings) ...aprayed most of the area with light color then moved outward with each darker color as they mix alittle it blends as a gradient .....like i said this is all new to me so its trial and error but in this paticular case that is how i stumble though and made this item ....so dont take this as a rule ...but a startin point ....hope it helps ....so much info on this site ...just trying to contribute im out!

Very cool! An inspiration.

if i owned a bible id use that as the cover... but they all seem to burst into flames when im near...

I really like how this is out of the box. I love the old Al Stohlman stuff, but I love seeing peoples new ideas. The flames on this design want me to go get a wallet blank and start carving. Awesome creativity! That is why I am in love with this site. I get lots of great new images I never can find in old leather carving books.

Awesome design and stamp work. Question for you though. Is the liner a cloth liner? If so how did you secure it to the leather without soaking the fabric and making it tacky when it dries? Ive tried using a white glue and after the glue dried for 24 hours the fabric was tacky/sticky.

Edited by serena

Seriously bitchin !! I was just thinking of doing some Iron Maiden when I longed on

i used a 3m spray glue on the leather and sprayed the liner on the gluing side with a industrial spay starch and let it dry then put it on the leather that was spayed with th 3m .....no problems with tackyness plus i used a sealer i spayed on the showing side of liner with my airbrush

Really cool! Great work!

if i owned a bible id use that as the cover... but they all seem to burst into flames when im near...

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! good one !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!