chancey77

February 2012 Challenge

Well, since Twin Oaks our Grand Poobah is SWAMPED with work...we have been talking and he encouraged me into posting this months challenge.

I figured myself and probably about half the other people here are more than sick of Winter, and with Spring rapidly approaching I thought to myself;

Snowflakes!

I got the idea the other day when it was snowing what I though was just the most perfect snowflakes I have seen since I am not sure when...not globs of frozen fluffy stuff but actual single frozen star style flakes about 1/8" in size...it was quite beautiful seeing them land on my porch rail and stack up and blow away again separately with a slight gust of wind and landing in my hand before they quickly melted...It was a very Zen moment I would not like to forget.

SO SNOWFLAKES IT IS:

Here is the guidelines for this months Challenge....

You can use 3 tools

Things that are NOT CONSIDERED TOOLS ARE-

Hammers, Rulers,90°Squares,Pencils/Stylus,Computers,Or anything that is not the 3 main things you need to actually make the snowflake embossed/carved/Stamped on the leather....

You are aloud to color them after you are finished before posting your work STAINS AND PAINT ARE NOT CONSIDERED TOOLS IN THIS CHALLENGE EITHER!

I am allowing the stains and paints because I want to see people put all they have into 1 post of pictures...cause I made 2 last month hahahaha...

THERE ARE NO: TIME CONSTRAINTS LIKE MY OTHER TIME TRIALS...

So settle in, we have 1 more month of Winter left so lets see some Snowflakes!

I hope yall enjoy this one, I made it 3 tools so maybe some more beginners will join in. A 3 tool option is better than what I originaly thought , making it a 1 tool challenge, but I figured ahhh what the heck give them 3 tools and free range color options!!!!!!!

If you would like to post them just after tooling that is cool as well...but figured I would at least make the color optional without it being a tool choice.

We are all really looking forward to seeing your work!

Cheers,

Chancey and the (Grand Poobah) Twin Oaks!

Twin Oaks will return with the March Challenge..

This Challenge will end MARCH 1.

(So Twin Oaks, while you are pounding away start thinking of March's challenge)evillaugh.gif(I am sure you already have it figured out) BTW!

God Speed!!!!!!!

Chancey77

Edited by chancey77

Remember that snowflakes have 6 points. Not 8 as you see in many commercial graphics. So simply folding a square of paper in half 3 times won't work for your basic pattern. Fold in half, then fold in thirds to get your 6 points, or use a protractor, 60 degrees.

CTG

Is that a Canadian Snowflake that only has 6 points???? Everyone is different:) hahahahahha

This isn't your rules:) They are MINE...hahahaha

They can have 20 points if you want to make them that crazy.....(just thought I would bust your chops) hahahhaLOLOLOL

Canada...

You can make a maple leaf snowflake if you would like....it only has 3 points and a stem:)

OK seriously lets get Nerdy!

All snowflakes have one thing in common. They are all six-sided crystals of ice. They can be found in seven different shapes - prismatic column, hexagonal plate, cup, hexagonal column, needle, flat plate or dendrite. There is actually an International Snow Classification System that scientists use to observe the large variety of snowflakes. People always say that no two snowflakes are alike. Considering the fact that the average snowflake contains 1018 molecules of water (that's 10 x 10 x 10, using eighteen 10's!), the number of combinations possible is pretty big to say the least.

I can google too:)

BUT That all being said...and I am SOOOOOOOOOOO GLAD we cleared that up!

This is an art Challenge so....DO WHATEVER YOU WANT:)!

Edited by chancey77

I didn't have to use Google, but isn't Google just great for finding many of the details we need. Even finds LW!

Leathal Weapon 1987 film????

Or is LW a Canadian google???? I don't know you are speaking Canadian...

OMG!!!!

I AM KIDDING!

I am really an american don't let the little flag on here fool ya.

I saw Canadian bacon with John Candy I know what your up to. I do wish it was making the PERFECT leather snowflake for the Feb Challenge:)

rofl.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPKSw1OeK2w

Edited by chancey77

For our European members....is there a METRIC snowflake?

Sure Mike, I just measured the ones that are currently falling as I write this; they are .70mm...give or take .01-.07mm.. but lets make them on leather at least 6cm....also known as 60mm. That is 2.3622047" standard US size, but feel free to round up to 2 3/8 or EVEN GO CRAZY AT 3":)

THERE IS NO SIZE LIMITS ON THE CHALLENGE EITHER...

Edited by chancey77

1329450009[/url]' post='234854']

Must be a 10 point one, just like metric stars! :P

Must be a 10 point one, just like metric stars! :P

rofl.gif17.gifLOL!

It is easier and much more precise! Even as an American I have embraced it:) I love metric!

I just hate it when people at work write 1000mm why not just say 1meter...ARGH! What is that abuut???? Notice there is no O...I made it Canadian friendly....hahahaha

;)

1329531700[/url]' post='235053']

rofl.gif17.gifLOL!

It is easier and much more precise! Even as an American I have embraced it:) I love metric!

I just hate it when people at work write 1000mm why not just say 1meter...ARGH! What is that abuut???? Notice there is no O...I made it Canadian friendly....hahahaha

;)

I thought you would rise to the bait!

I'm very familiar with SI (metric). Canada went metric many years ago. I taught using it in various branches of engineering for 19 years. I have used it in the engineering firm I work with for 13 years. Often flipping back and forth between SI and English units as demanded by old and new facilities. I think it's past time the US adopted SI, the same as the rest of the world has. You buy a supposedly American made car and half the parts are metric, half English. So factories are tooled to use both. The mechanic has to buy 2 sets of tools to work on the car. The the stuff that is imported from China has metric threads and English heads! What a crazy mixed up world we live in.

According to SI standards (European), the base unit of length is the metre. Meter is a device used to measure something, like voltmeter. deadsubject.gif

I thought you would rise to the bait!

I'm very familiar with SI (metric). Canada went metric many years ago. I taught using it in various branches of engineering for 19 years. I have used it in the engineering firm I work with for 13 years. Often flipping back and forth between SI and English units as demanded by old and new facilities. I think it's past time the US adopted SI, the same as the rest of the world has. You buy a supposedly American made car and half the parts are metric, half English. So factories are tooled to use both. The mechanic has to buy 2 sets of tools to work on the car. The the stuff that is imported from China has metric threads and English heads! What a crazy mixed up world we live in.

According to SI standards (European), the base unit of length is the metre. Meter is a device used to measure something, like voltmeter. deadsubject.gif

But of course! hahahaha

I know exactly what you mean! It is very mixed up!

And from the "Tome of Useless Knowledge" that is my brain....

What is the only form of measurement that has no Metric Equivalent?

1329538155[/url]' post='235076']

And from the "Tome of Useless Knowledge" that is my brain....

What is the only form of measurement that has no Metric Equivalent?

There are 2 that I think of, time hh:mm:ss, also related, angular measure ddd:mm:ss. Unless you consider grads, 100 grads is a right angle, but it falls apart with a full circle being 400 grads.

Ok blizzard here today , so after digging out my car 5 times all over town and doing some moving and clearing a bunch of stuff from my wife's grandfathers and driving boxes and furniture to her brothers and sisters.... I am going to start on my snowflake tonight....MAYBE:)

Today has been one of those help all your neighbors dig days....and clear out granddads house(he passed right before Christmas on my Daughters birthday)

Needless to say I am exhausted and everything hurts right now, so I see some cold beer and sauna in my future very near future:), but I have some ideas of what I am going to make now:) SO LETS SEE IF I HAVE THE POWER:) 2morrow is another day after all:)

Edited by chancey77

Ok so since i have a serious amount of work to do right now I sketched out and just carved the picture into the leather and gave the skull and a couple other pieces the swivel bevel treatment, I am going to finish this into a full on F*"#€ Snow seat but as of right now I have tons of stuff to make for clients...

But that being said, I just wanted to go ahead and post something so you could get a good idea that this challenge isn't just about making a real life snow flake, but searching you natural talents that you all have and come up with something that looks like a snow flake from a distance, but maybe it isn't just a run of the mill piece of scrap art, maybe you can come up with something original...I know it is a little cheesy, but we all know it was a heck of a lot of fun to try!

I hope some of you give this challenge a shot:)

Chancey

post-28433-088507100 1329776782_thumb.jp

There are 2 that I think of, time hh:mm:ss, also related, angular measure ddd:mm:ss. Unless you consider grads, 100 grads is a right angle, but it falls apart with a full circle being 400 grads.

I am so glad you changed your picture! :) Ok check out my quickie snowflake and give something a whirl....:) I posted it right before this post so it is on the 1st page...

Happy Carving:)

I have been just digging and digging the last couple days, and it has put me quite a bit behind, but I wanted to post up something..I am in the midst of crazy 51 Ford Door panel madness, while trying to get some smaller stuff done as well, so this is going to be my post for a while:)

Hope you're staying warm,

Cheers,

Chancey

Edited by chancey77

I am so glad you changed your picture! :) Ok check out my quickie snowflake and give something a whirl....:) I posted it right before this post so it is on the 1st page...

Happy Carving:)

I have been just digging and digging the last couple days, and it has put me quite a bit behind, but I wanted to post up something..I am in the midst of crazy 51 Ford Door panel madness, while trying to get some smaller stuff done as well, so this is going to be my post for a while:)

Hope you're staying warm,

Cheers,

Chancey

You like my soaking wet bluejay. :banana: I was really surprised to see how wet they get in the birdbath on a hot day!

2 cm of snow overnight, about 0 C here right now, so not as bad as your snow. We have hardly had any snow this winter in comparison to normal. Most will melt off today or tomorrow.

Your snowflake is interesting, just not my style, but so what. Lots of different interests and viewpoints out there.

I'm stuck in the middle of trying to figure out why a piece of software I'm building won't load a resource, so it's gong to be a while before I get back to leather and wood.

Have a great day everybody!

CTG

Edited by northmount

Damn chancey, am I glad we don't have snow like that to shovel away head_hurts_kr.gif

Got plenty of the white stuff up here if ya get bored tongue.gif

Ya 'snowflake' is looking good, I'll keep my eye's open, see how this progresses.

And, I'm sold on that 'swivel bevel' your always on about. It's now next on my 'things to do' list. Thanks for that.......... more expensewink.gif

Damn chancey, am I glad we don't have snow like that to shovel away head_hurts_kr.gif

Got plenty of the white stuff up here if ya get bored tongue.gif

Ya 'snowflake' is looking good, I'll keep my eye's open, see how this progresses.

And, I'm sold on that 'swivel bevel' your always on about. It's now next on my 'things to do' list. Thanks for that.......... more expensewink.gif

I have some friends that have ice racing motorcycles..maybe one of those psychopaths will buy it:)

Well, how did I miss this little gem? :) I guess I better start scrolling to the bottom of the forum more often.

Well, since Twin Oaks our Grand Poobah is SWAMPED with work...we have been talking and he encouraged me into posting this months challenge.

I figured myself and probably about half the other people here are more than sick of Winter, and with Spring rapidly approaching I thought to myself;

Snowflakes!

I got the idea the other day when it was snowing what I though was just the most perfect snowflakes I have seen since I am not sure when...not globs of frozen fluffy stuff but actual single frozen star style flakes about 1/8" in size...it was quite beautiful seeing them land on my porch rail and stack up and blow away again separately with a slight gust of wind and landing in my hand before they quickly melted...It was a very Zen moment I would not like to forget.

SO SNOWFLAKES IT IS:

Here is the guidelines for this months Challenge....

You can use 3 tools

Things that are NOT CONSIDERED TOOLS ARE-

Hammers, Rulers,90°Squares,Pencils/Stylus,Computers,Or anything that is not the 3 main things you need to actually make the snowflake embossed/carved/Stamped on the leather....

You are aloud to color them after you are finished before posting your work STAINS AND PAINT ARE NOT CONSIDERED TOOLS IN THIS CHALLENGE EITHER!

I am allowing the stains and paints because I want to see people put all they have into 1 post of pictures...cause I made 2 last month hahahaha...

THERE ARE NO: TIME CONSTRAINTS LIKE MY OTHER TIME TRIALS...

So settle in, we have 1 more month of Winter left so lets see some Snowflakes!

I hope yall enjoy this one, I made it 3 tools so maybe some more beginners will join in. A 3 tool option is better than what I originaly thought , making it a 1 tool challenge, but I figured ahhh what the heck give them 3 tools and free range color options!!!!!!!

If you would like to post them just after tooling that is cool as well...but figured I would at least make the color optional without it being a tool choice.

We are all really looking forward to seeing your work!

Cheers,

Chancey and the (Grand Poobah) Twin Oaks!

Twin Oaks will return with the March Challenge..

This Challenge will end MARCH 1.

(So Twin Oaks, while you are pounding away start thinking of March's challenge)evillaugh.gif(I am sure you already have it figured out) BTW!

God Speed!!!!!!!

Chancey77

Well, how did I miss this little gem? :) I guess I better start scrolling to the bottom of the forum more often.

Only a few days left...maybe Twin Oaks has come up one that people will do...hahahhaha

I though for sure that people would be into snowflakes. It is a GREAT Beginner challenge and Experienced Artist Challenge, the sky is the limit! But I guess no one wanted to get involved...oh well.

Maybe if twin oaks allows me to do another monthly challenge will be something more cowboy than snowflakes.....hahaha

Only a few days left...maybe Twin Oaks has come up one that people will do...hahahhaha

I though for sure that people would be into snowflakes. It is a GREAT Beginner challenge and Experienced Artist Challenge, the sky is the limit! But I guess no one wanted to get involved...oh well.

Maybe if twin oaks allows me to do another monthly challenge will be something more cowboy than snowflakes.....hahaha

Well, It was kind of buried... at least for me.

I would like to participate, even picked out a snowflake I like... just not sure I could get it done by the end of the month. Are people posting these to a gallery or what? I don't see any examples here.

Well, It was kind of buried... at least for me.

I would like to participate, even picked out a snowflake I like... just not sure I could get it done by the end of the month. Are people posting these to a gallery or what? I don't see any examples here.

wtf.gifI was the only one who tried, and I am swamped with work...oh well.... I guess we go back to letting twin oaks pic the challenge topic...guess i should have chosen a sheridan flower or a deer head something more boring to me....oh well...whatever, I thought is was an awesome challenge, it is as hard and challenging as the design that you pick, could be real easy or super complicated. I thought it would get more beginners to chip in, ...it could be very challenging and there are millions of different designs...

Oh well......

Edited by chancey77

wtf.gifI was the only one who tried, and I am swamped with work...oh well.... I guess we go back to letting twin oaks pic the challenge topic...guess i should have chosen a sheridan flower or a deer head something more boring to me....oh well...whatever, I thought is was an awesome challenge, it is as hard and challenging as the design that you pick, could be real easy or super complicated. I thought it would get more beginners to chip in, ...it could be very challenging and there are millions of different designs...

Oh well......

I think it's a good idea. I even tried to free hand one with a swivel knife last night. I got about 1/3 of the way through it and looked at it and went. "wonky" LOL

I may try again soon.

S