watersnake

Sheriden Tools

I just recently myself started branching off into the world of Sheridan type carving and purchased several tools from Barry. He is very helpful, everytime I called him he was there to answer any questions. If you call him up have him send you a catalog, it makes it easier to see the size rather than looking at it on the website. After I bought my tools I went into Tandy Leather Factory here in my local home town and saw that they are now carrying "Crafttool Pro" series and they are all stainless steel. Excellent quality and stamping impressions are far better than their other line of tools. They are all specifically for the Sheridan style carving.

Difference between the Craftool "Pro" and either Barry or Clay's tools is that the craftool are made somewhere oversea's. Not to mention that if you don't have one of the tandy discounts they cost more on average, depending on if you have to have them shipped. Might not be much of an issue to some but living here in the states I'd rather support/buy as many American made products as possible.

Please note that this wasn't meant to knock foreign products or stated in any type of political vein just what I know and or think.

Horn

Please note that this wasn't meant to knock foreign products or stated in any type of political vein just what I know and or think.

Horn

I always say support your local economy first. So, I hope that anybody in China would buy Chinese made products, just like I hope Americans would attempt to buy American products. Nothing political about it.

I have questions regarding Barry Kings recommended tool lists. He has 2 lists, small/medium and large. What types of items fall in those ranges? Saddles are large, watch bands are small of course. :thumbsup:

Im looking to try my hand at sheridan, and will be tooling satchels and cases with tooled panels in the 6"x30" range. Im guessing that would be small/medium???

Thanks

Chuck

I have questions regarding Barry Kings recommended tool lists. He has 2 lists, small/medium and large. What types of items fall in those ranges? Saddles are large, watch bands are small of course. :thumbsup:

Im looking to try my hand at sheridan, and will be tooling satchels and cases with tooled panels in the 6"x30" range. Im guessing that would be small/medium???

Thanks

Chuck

Don't think product, think pattern/detail size. If your image has detail and you need to get into tight spots - small/medium. If you're doing a big line or the kind of work that requires big tooling impressions, than large would be it. I know if you give him a call and tell him what you're trying to do he'll be able to get you going int he right direction. I just bought my first BK bevelers (000, 0, 1) and I'm in love with them already for the work I do. I'll buy out the rest of the set shortly since I can use all the sizes at some point.

Don't think product, think pattern/detail size. If your image has detail and you need to get into tight spots - small/medium. If you're doing a big line or the kind of work that requires big tooling impressions, than large would be it. I know if you give him a call and tell him what you're trying to do he'll be able to get you going int he right direction. I just bought my first BK bevelers (000, 0, 1) and I'm in love with them already for the work I do. I'll buy out the rest of the set shortly since I can use all the sizes at some point.

Thanks. Thats kind of what I was thinking. But what is considered a large pattern?

Chuck

Thanks. Thats kind of what I was thinking. But what is considered a large pattern?

Chuck

Think of anything where you'll want to cover a lot of ground at once. For beveling, a "large" pattern would be something that's several inches of straight line. For matting, it would be a large open background (still subjective, I know). Veiners and Cams though would be a little different since the imprint they make will be seen as a large design. I can't really figure out a way to describe that one. So, think of those as something you'd want to be able to see the veiner pattern on a saddle from a few feet away, where a small pattern would be the kind of thing you'd look at on a wallet. I know it goes against what I said earlier about the pattern vs. the product, but that's the only way I can think of to explain the difference right now.

Think of anything where you'll want to cover a lot of ground at once. For beveling, a "large" pattern would be something that's several inches of straight line. For matting, it would be a large open background (still subjective, I know). Veiners and Cams though would be a little different since the imprint they make will be seen as a large design. I can't really figure out a way to describe that one. So, think of those as something you'd want to be able to see the veiner pattern on a saddle from a few feet away, where a small pattern would be the kind of thing you'd look at on a wallet. I know it goes against what I said earlier about the pattern vs. the product, but that's the only way I can think of to explain the difference right now.

Perfect. Thats what I needed to know. Im thinking I would be in the medium realm, bordering on small tooling patterns.

Thanks again

Chuck

Bought some Barry King tools. First off HIGHLY impressed with the quality. Carved a really quick pattern just to see how they look. Again. WOW.. Night and day with any other tools I've ever carved with.

Barry if you still check the forum, thank you!

Can't wait to devote some time with them. Really need to figure out the bargrounders lol

Chuck

post-38972-0-92412500-1363503539_thumb.j

post-38972-0-11409900-1363503582_thumb.j

My "small-to-medium" starter's set cost me $400. Highly recommended! It's listed on his "Recommended size List" page, along with the other "Larger Work" size package: http://www.barrykingtools.com/sizelist.htm

Edited by silverwingit