myr1708

First Post, Second Holster

Hello, this is my first post in this forum. It's a holster and belt I've made for a friend. I thijnk it's nice. What do you think?

Regards, Marcel

post-13539-013670700 1329829485_thumb.jp

Hello, this is my first post in this forum. It's a holster and belt I've made for a friend. I thijnk it's nice. What do you think?

Regards, Marcel

Marcel,

that's a lovely piece. the carving is tasteful and skillfully-executed, the design is good. The workmanship is first-rate. I'm sure your friend will be very happy with it.

I assume your an experienced leatherworker? where are you located?

Tell us a little more about it -- how long did it take to make, what kind of leather is it, how is it colored, any special problems making it?

A couple of things you might look at for the next one.

When you attach the buckle billets to the body of the holster, your stitch lines cut across the leather and your carving. Layout your design to avoid that next time. And it's a better technique to attach a buckle using a Chicago screw (also called a binder post). That way, it's easily replaceable if necessary.

I like the look of the twin restraining straps on the holster. And there is nice attention to detail in the tooling. But it would be a cleaner look to use center-bar buckles instead of heel-bar buckles. Then you don't need the keepers.

If I were doing a piece like this, I would have lined the belt and the holster. That's a huge investment of time when you're hand-stitching, and I've got a machine, so it's easy for me to offer that advice. But first-rate rigs are generally lined -- it increases the durability of the belt and makes is stiffer to give more support to the weight of the gun. And you've done fine work here, and it deserves that extra step. IMO. If the holster is not lined, try something like Aussie conditioner or Gum Tragacanth to smooth down the flesh side of the leather that will press against the gun.

Bravo!

tk

Hello Malabar.

Thanks for your kind words and advices. It's appreciated. I am doing leathercraft for 4 years now as a hobby. Here in the Netherlands there are not much peolple doing this, so there are also not that many suppliers of all kinds of stuff.

I am still trying to learn how to do things. The next holster and belt is going to be lined, although I have to do it by hand. But first I have to find out how to do it.

Marcel

Hello Malabar.

Thanks for your kind words and advices. It's appreciated. I am doing leathercraft for 4 years now as a hobby. Here in the Netherlands there are not much peolple doing this, so there are also not that many suppliers of all kinds of stuff.

I am still trying to learn how to do things. The next holster and belt is going to be lined, although I have to do it by hand. But first I have to find out how to do it.

Marcel

John Bianchi made a great set of DVDs on making western holsters. You can find them online.

http://gunvideo.com/pgroup_descrip//5426/?return=%3ftpl%3Dsearch%26search_val%3Dmaking

Might find them for less on an auction site.

tk

I think it looks very nice. Did you make it backwards?:lol: I'm left handed as well. I would be very proud of a rig like that.

1329934893[/url]' post='235719']

I think it looks very nice. Did you make it backwards?:lol: I'm left handed as well. I would be very proud of a rig like that.

Thanks. Yes, I did make it in side out. It's nice being left handed........