chancey77

Leather Covered Telecastor Pricing

Not sure what the going rate is for covering and doing artwork on a Tele these days...anyone do one recently? I was thinking about 14-1700?????

I think I am in the ballpark....

I don't think we are going to go with Sheridan, I am thinking Train Robbery, or Wild west Wagon Robbery...but it is up to the client....I could use some ideas:)

Thanks!

post-28433-086029500 1329948667_thumb.jp

Edited by chancey77

I know there is someone out there that has done a few...

Have never done one but I think your pricing is a bit low. I would think 2k is more the ballpark. Tons of work there and I like the train robbery idea. Now that says Country to me.

Here is the page of Jeff Mosby, to look at the guitar covers and to see his prices.

http://www.mosbyguitars.com/gcover.html

It is the only one that I know of and I think his customers are willing to pay that much.

...and for the design: what kind of music do your customer play?

Here is the page of Jeff Mosby, to look at the guitar covers and to see his prices.

http://www.mosbyguit...com/gcover.html

It is the only one that I know of and I think his customers are willing to pay that much.

...and for the design: what kind of music do your customer play?

Thanks!,

Ya I have seen his sight many years ago...and as i recall it has not been updated since the last time i was there about 4 years ago....

Ya I know it is all who, what, when, and where...but I think that one thing about leather work is price is whatever you put the value of yourself and your work is. But....that being said, I still don't think that we talk enough about money on this site, and just like anything else...sometimes i feel i have under bid myself and quality of work....I wish there was an industry standard for things like that...but custom work is custom work and this guy made it in 90 hrs and that guy took 150hr...So who is to say how much?? It is between the buyer and the artist....I know...But a good ball park is great...

I thank you for your replies and I have given the client a quote I feel comfy with sleeping at night:)

I do wish someone would say ya i have been doing guitar covers for 20 yrs and it takes around 200 hours to do them...i work fast and for 7 hrs straight everyday...i am so awesome...hahahaha and the price generally is.....bla bla bla....

There is a big gap between 1400-2500 so I guess I will find out:) It will be done after the door panels are finished...so you got to wait for pics:)

I do wish someone would say ya i have been doing guitar covers for 20 yrs and it takes around 200 hours to do them...i work fast and for 7 hrs straight everyday...i am so awesome...hahahaha and the price generally is.....bla bla bla....

There is a big gap between 1400-2500 so I guess I will find out:) It will be done after the door panels are finished...so you got to wait for pics:)

Would be nice if that was possible but with members from all over the world everyone's expenses are going to be different. I've used this calculator in the past for graphics work http://freelanceswitch.com/rates/ it's not the be all and end all but it might help you to determine a price a bit easier.

Is the attached image something you tooled? I'd say you better ask a pretty good penny for that! Yeow, very nice.

I have been known to sometimes make leather covered archtop guitars. Strangly enough I glue the leather on with hot hide glue...

Been busy making stamps these days. Have a couple very unusual ones on ebay right now. You could search "not like craftool".

New to posting here, hope it was ok to mention this...

Is the attached image something you tooled? I'd say you better ask a pretty good penny for that! Yeow, very nice.

I have been known to sometimes make leather covered archtop guitars. Strangly enough I glue the leather on with hot hide glue...

Been busy making stamps these days. Have a couple very unusual ones on ebay right now. You could search "not like craftool".

New to posting here, hope it was ok to mention this...

The client has a 2500€ Fender Custom Shop guitar...so gluing is not going to happen to that guitar, I think what we have decided is to actually build him the guitar of his dreams, and possibly sell the Fender Custom shop to bank roll it...I work very closely with a Luthier and he will be doing the guitar build and I will be doing the leather. And then I will feel very comfortable gluing it to the raw body instead of a 800 dollar custom shop body and ruining the factory finish...so we will go with a ground up build....it will be a couple months before I start on this project do to my other jobs list, but we are currently planning the build.

Custom built Tele 1500

Leather 1700

That will be the budget now.

Thanks for all of your replies and help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It isn't very often I ask for any:)

Would be nice if that was possible but with members from all over the world everyone's expenses are going to be different. I've used this calculator in the past for graphics work http://freelanceswitch.com/rates/ it's not the be all and end all but it might help you to determine a price a bit easier.

That is a great calculator! Thanks it is now in my favorites!

That is a great calculator! Thanks it is now in my favorites!

Late to the game here, but with your skill and the size of it - 1700 to 2000 sounds fair. I would compare it to a seat. If you consider that each side is average about 2 seats worth of work (maybe a little less) - then 4 seats total would be a ballpark price. That all depends on the amount of tooling as well, but you know that better than I do.

And, you know us guitar freaks are just as willing to pay for cool kustom as any of us motorcycle freaks. Also, I think it's a much better idea to have a custom built guitar underneath it too because it just makes it that much better.