Have a great roping saddle which was improperly stored and has caused the seat jockey to flare up slightly when mounted on a horse. Is there a way to work the leather back down snugly against the skirt?

Any help or suggestions appreciated. Someone mentioned perhaps wetting the leather and then wrapping firmly and allowing it to set awhile---sound good?

If it's just bent up from improper storage and not because it's dry I'd say you could dampen it and put a draw down on it. if you don't havea draw down strap put the saddle on a stand put a clean cinch over the seat and use a latigo to snug it down till it dries. I have a saddle stand with a tray underneather for brushes and stuff so this gives me something to hold the contraption down.

If there's any indication that the top of the leather wants to crack when you flex it down where it should be make sure you condition it well first before strapping it down. I've used leather new and a local Dubbin with good success, make sure the leather is pliable before doing the above

And of course when you strap it down it doesn't need to be too tight and make sure you aren't mishaping anything else in the meantime. This is what I've done before, can't say it's right, I'm self taught, but it has worked...

Good luck!

My first was a pony saddle. The jockey were curled right up and rock hard. I saddle soaped several times to get some moisture back into the leather. I then used flannel rags folded into thick pads and put them under water as hot as I could stand it. I then pushed a wet pad under each side and secured with flannel strips. After 5 or 6 hours I dmapened the pads again and retied the strips. Altho the jockeys wouldn't lay flat since the molecular structure had stretched, they were flatter and at least comfortable under the leg. There's a saddle in the shop at the moment that's going to get this done. The jockeys are trying to curl, altho not bad yet and the leather is dry. It's had it's first good soaping and get's another tomorrow. It's already looking and feeling better.