malabar

What Kind Of Leather Does Coach Use?

Folks,

My normal gig is gunleather, but I have some ideas for purselike holsters for women I'd like to try out. I've been working with my usual stock of vegtan and upholstery leather, but it does not seem to have the right "body" for what I have in mind. The veg tan becomes too stiff and the upholstery leather is too limp.

What I'm looking for is the kind of pebble-grained leather that Coach uses for their handbags, probably 6/7 oz. Does anyone know what it is or where I can find some?

many thanks

tk

Folks,

My normal gig is gunleather, but I have some ideas for purselike holsters for women I'd like to try out. I've been working with my usual stock of vegtan and upholstery leather, but it does not seem to have the right "body" for what I have in mind. The veg tan becomes too stiff and the upholstery leather is too limp.

What I'm looking for is the kind of pebble-grained leather that Coach uses for their handbags, probably 6/7 oz. Does anyone know what it is or where I can find some?

many thanks

tk

Anyone have any thoughts?

I've found this stuff...

https://hidehouse.com/products/index.html?Category=HBAG&Product_ID=221

At $175 a hide, it's not cheap. And it doesn't tell me whether it's veg tan or chrome tan, etc.

Maybe better question is, what would YOU use to make a high-quality, pebble-grain handbag?

many thanks

tk

tk,

Wickett and Craig makes leather for among others, Louis Vuitton. I would call and see if you can get a back processed like they do for LV.

Art

I've found this stuff...

https://hidehouse.com/products/index.html?Category=HBAG&Product_ID=221

At $175 a hide, it's not cheap. And it doesn't tell me whether it's veg tan or chrome tan, etc.

Maybe better question is, what would YOU use to make a high-quality, pebble-grain handbag?

many thanks

tk

I've found this stuff...

https://hidehouse.co...&Product_ID=221

many thanks

tk

That leather in the link is 6-8oz, which would be a bit thick for a handbag. hidehouse does have some 2.5-3oz as well but still expensive. find a nice soft kip

tk,

Wickett and Craig makes leather for among others, Louis Vuitton. I would call and see if you can get a back processed like they do for LV.

Art

That's good intelligence. THANKS Art! I'll talk to them.

tk

That leather in the link is 6-8oz, which would be a bit thick for a handbag. hidehouse does have some 2.5-3oz as well but still expensive. find a nice soft kip

Thanks for the advice. You're probably right -- it's too heavy. In my prototypes I've used 4-5, and that seems about right for this project. It's a belt-mounted pouch for a small handgun, so it needs a little more body than a regular purse, but I want the look of a high-end purse.

The problem with what I've been using is that it doesn't have the look or feel I want.

tk