hectron

Sealing Leather After Dyeing?

7 hours ago, theclarkkids said:

question: im wanting to dye my nice western show saddle to black.  do i go right to black from the light brown leather or should i do dark brown first then black?  and when i put the sealer on would i do the 50/50 still?      any help would be greatly appreciated.  as it would cost me over $500 to have someone else do this. where i see this would be less then $50 prob. 

Are you going to remove the current finish or trying to dye over the finish?  I would suggest removing as much of the finish as you can first.  Some people will dye with blue before they go to black.  And yes, dilute resolene 50/50.

Tom

I had a friend that just used rubbing alcohol to like strip it and then dyed it.   she went from the light leather right to black.    and i was told not to do the 50/50 as its thin as it is.  so im just wanting to do this correctly before i mess up a very nice costly saddle.

FWIW I'm just redyeing some car leather for a client. It was a well worn very bright yellow and he wanted it just redyed black.

I rubbed it all down with cellulose thinners to get as much of the top finish off as possible. I applied about 6 coats of black dye which was thinned 1:1 with methylated spirits. This morning it got a coating of pure neetsfoot oil, which has been buffed in. Tomorrow I'll start applying the Resolene which is also diluted 1:1 but with water. I'll apply as many coats as I see it needs

Neat Resolene dries too fast and dries streaky, also drying too fast doesn't allow it to penetrate the leather. Diluting it helps it penetrate and flow better

So after reading all this, it looks like I need to get Resolene to finish the bag I dyed and just plain ole conditioner isn't going to finish the job.