Knipper

First Plough Gauge Blade

Thanks to Bruce Johnson, I had the opportunity to make him a replacement plough gauge blade. He sent me one of the Dixon units and also the French one. I'd never seen or used one before, so this was a welcome introduction to yet another leather cutting tool.

I used CPM154CM steel, and heat treated it to a Rockwell hardness of around 60. After resharpening one of the old Dixon blades and cutting with it, I tried the one I made and I think it may cut better, but someone with more experience using them than I will have to render that opinion.

This first one went slowly, as I didn't have the correct thickness of stock on hand, so I had to surface grind a thicker piece to the right dimension (3/32"). Milling the mounting slot took a while too. I have a mill, but I'm definitely NOT a machinist. All in all, I think it turned out pretty good. Can't wait to hear Bruce's opinion! If there is room for improvement, he'll let me know, and the next one will be better.

Knipper

ploughgaugeblade.jpg

Edited by Knipper

SSSWWWEEEEEETTTT!!!!!!

Looks nice. Ha-ha - I'm sure Bruce will speak up for sure. I'm sure it will be a nice addition to used plough gauges.

Regards,

Ben

P.S. Ditto to Pauls' statement.

That is some kind of pretty now. Talk to you tomorrow!

That will really class up the joint. The only problem I am going to have is deciding which gauge gets the new blade.

Thanks, Bruce... I can't wait to get a "cutting" report on the blade's performance!

Terry

That is some kind of pretty now. Talk to you tomorrow!

That will really class up the joint. The only problem I am going to have is deciding which gauge gets the new blade.

Nice to know that there are people who are able to still make replacement blades for these wonderful old tools.

Really nice Terry!

Nice work as always Terry.

Terry,

I'm a retired toolmaker and will say, that is wonderful. Your attention to detail is second to none. Now, if it cuts that's even better. GREAT JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Knipper,

What a beautiful blade you made!

Great job. I was looking for a new blade for my Dixon plouge gauge when I saw this. Dixon sells new blades on their web shop, but I rather buy one from you. Do you want to make more blades? Your blade is very beautiful, but would you consider using some brass in it. I kind of love the old toolmakers use of brass, brass also go nicely with the plouge gauge; it is a retro tool. The brass adds some warm color to the cold steel. Your handle construction is an improvement over the Dixon’s. Please send me a PM with a quote if you will make more blades. If I can afford it, I buy it.

Trox

Thanks to Bruce Johnson, I had the opportunity to make him a replacement plough gauge blade. He sent me one of the Dixon units and also the French one. I'd never seen or used one before, so this was a welcome introduction to yet another leather cutting tool.

I used CPM154CM steel, and heat treated it to a Rockwell hardness of around 60. After resharpening one of the old Dixon blades and cutting with it, I tried the one I made and I think it may cut better, but someone with more experience using them than I will have to render that opinion.

This first one went slowly, as I didn't have the correct thickness of stock on hand, so I had to surface grind a thicker piece to the right dimension (3/32"). Milling the mounting slot took a while too. I have a mill, but I'm definitely NOT a machinist. All in all, I think it turned out pretty good. Can't wait to hear Bruce's opinion! If there is room for improvement, he'll let me know, and the next one will be better.

Knipper

ploughgaugeblade.jpg

Hi Trox!

Though the photo doesn't show it very well, I did use solid, yellow brass for the bolsters and pins. I didn't color correct the photo before I posted it.

As to making more, I'm kind of waiting for a report from Bruce to see how he thinks it works. He should receive it by the end of this week. If all goes okay, I would consider making more if there is a demand for them.

Thanks for the kind words!

Terry

I am sorry, but It looks like steel on the picture. Let me know when you ready to make another one.

Thanks

Trox

Hi Trox!

Though the photo doesn't show it very well, I did use solid, yellow brass for the bolsters and pins. I didn't color correct the photo before I posted it.

As to making more, I'm kind of waiting for a report from Bruce to see how he thinks it works. He should receive it by the end of this week. If all goes okay, I would consider making more if there is a demand for them.

Thanks for the kind words!

Terry

If I could afford one this is what I would buy! That is a beautiful Plough gauge blade! Wonderful work!

Just came across this, and couldn't help but wonder, if you ever made more?

That is absolutely beautiful!

Now that I got a good report card from Bruce, I'll be adding a few of these to my line. I'll take what I have to the Boots and Saddles show in early Oct. and see how they go. After that, I'll have to make some more, but yes...I am making these now both for the Dixon and the Blanchard Plough Gauges.

Hi Knipper

Yes, a very nice work.

So I like it very well. Found just that.

If you have one of them have, I would like to buy it.

Greeting

Walter Roth

Like so many others, I just wanted to say how amazed I am with your work.  Now, beware the noob...

I had a question about the grind on the plough gauge blade.  It looks like a convex grind that's about a half inch wide.  Is that correct?  Is it the same on both sides?  Curious if it's flat on the side towards the fence and convex on the other.  

I'm going off of this picture for the grinding terms:

image.png.df66e88056a5c2fdad8490ea73fbfd51.png

If it's not too off-topic, are there any nice discussions about how round knife edges are ground?  It's hard to see in 2D pictures.  It seems like the cheaper ones have parallel faces and double bevel edge with a taper that goes in about 1/16th or so.  That doesn't seem ideal.  On some more expensive ones, it looks like it may be flat or convex on both sides.