Sylvia

The Golden Ratio And Sheridan Design.

Hmmm... $45 shipped. I just couldn't do that. I would rather try to buy American anyway.

Thanks though! I appreciate your looking out for me! :)

No problem. If you discover and American craftsman that makes a quality metal set, let me know. I've searched and there just aren't any.

No problem. If you discover and American craftsman that makes a quality metal set, let me know. I've searched and there just aren't any.

Tell you what... I will ask Black River Laser if they can. I know they cut and engrave metal, granite... and a bunch of stuff.

I recently asked if they can make a set of "sine wave" rulers. Something with a nice undulating line....in various frequencies.

Thanks Sylvia, There goes my work day! Gotta find more out about this Golden Ratio thingy!

Boy, I hate math...deadsubject.gif

But these numbers are actually kinda cool!!! thumbsup.gif

Thanks Sylvia, There goes my work day! Gotta find more out about this Golden Ratio thingy!

Boy, I hate math...deadsubject.gif

But these numbers are actually kinda cool!!! thumbsup.gif

I'm not fond of math either. It's not something most of us would go hmmm that's beautiful because it's in proportion... or has golden ratio spirals. But when we don't see the proportion or the spirals aren't right.... we notice something is just "off" about it.

Luckily you don't have to be a math wiz now. I've had a template maker fix me up with some spiral templates. I got them yesterday and boy are they helpful!! It's a set of 8 templates for about $20 shipped. I spent some time yesterday fiddling with them on paper with colored pencils and wow... so easy to make scrolled designs!

There's another post that is about the template maker... http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=39395&st=0&gopid=245311entry245311

Art has to fit Divine proportion(Golden ratio or Golden spiral) or you will have to violate it in such a way it is obvious of what your doing. If not the piece of art doesn't look right. Basically everything in nature fits the ratio 1.618033......... Pine cones, sunflower seed pattern, number of branches on a tree, number of leaves, circumference of the earth, planetary orbits, planetary distances, there are stock market prediction algorithms using this and the list goes on. It is an amazing phenomenon.

The math isn't as hard as you think it's like this:

Starting with zero add the numbers on either side of the =.sign Then divide the smaller number over the larger number. This can be done quickly on a spreadsheet program

0; 0+1=1; 1+1=2; 1+2=3; 2+3=5; 3+5=8; 5+8=13; 8+13=21; 13+21=34; 21+34=55 etc I have attached the spreadsheet to see how it works.

Divine Proportion-math.pdf

Mathematician Alert!! (holds up crucifix and says "Be gone math head!) LOL just kidding.

I managed to get my acrylic templates made... BRL has them on ebay... sure makes lay out a lot easier and much more fun.