woody2shoes

Braiding Show Leads

Hi everyone, your forum is fantastic and full of information. I am only new at braiding and I don't understand a lot of the leather jargon so I'm hoping someone will be able to help me with some specific answers. I live in Australia so it's been quite a journey finding a site like this that can hopefully give me some guidance even if most of you are on the other side of the world.

I have had a go at 4 strand round braiding and am having a ball. The end result is that I would like to learn how to make top quality 4 & 6 strand rolled leather show leads, most likely with beading in time...and I'd love to learn to braid buttons too. I've ordered a book on braiding, I've purchased a fid, lace cutter, bevel and lacing needles online and should have these in the next few days.

So my first question is, what sort of leather lacing should I get for braiding my leads?

Secondly, is there a book/DVD/YouTube tutorial/website or combination of all or any of these which gives details on how to actually create a show lead, especially the beading, making of the wrist strap, back braiding etc. etc.

Thanks in advance for all and any feedback. I am really keen to hone my skills and look forward to sharing my projects in time.

Cheers,

Teresa

Edited by woody2shoes

So my first question is, what sort of leather lacing should I get for braiding my leads?

Secondly, is there a book/DVD/YouTube tutorial/website or combination of all or any of these which gives details on how to actually create a show lead, especially the beading, making of the wrist strap, back braiding etc. etc.

I think most of us that braid dog leads here use Kangaroo Hide. Available in your country at much, much cheaper price than here in the states.

I can only speak for myself on the second question. I used a total of 4 books to learn from.

Tom Hall's Introduction to Turks Heads

Robert L Woolery's Braiding Rawhide Horse Tack

Bruce Grant's Encyclopedia to Rawhide Braiding - Hard Back version

Ron Edward's Round Knots, Advanced Leather Braiding volume 2. ( Available from Ram Skull Press in your country )...

I can not remember his name. But there is one book out, called Braiding Fine Leather that shows a dog lead project. Maybe someone else can remember the name of the author.

Brian...

Braiding Fine Leather is by David Morgan and has a great 8 plait dog lead pattern which could easily be adapted to a 4 or 6 plait. Here's a link to the book:http://amzn.to/wAkCUJ

Hi Woody!

After reading your post, I realize I could have written it myself! I'm also new to leathercraft and would like to make beaded, braided dog show leads. I have two Salukis (a bitch and a dog) and would have a blast making them for myself, friends, and maybe selling them on Etsy to make up for the cost of materials. I'm in Canada, so unfortunately Kangaroo lace is going to be very hard to come by. I ordered 25 yards each of red and black kangaroo lace for $52 plus shipping from Springfield leather. They seem to have the lowest prices but I don't know if it's bevelled.

I ordered two books, "Braiding Fine Leather" by David Morgan and "Leather Braiding" by Bruce Grant. They should arrive in 1-2 weeks. If I had more money, I would buy Gail Hought's books: http://www.hought.com/brbooks.html as I've heard they're the easiest books to follow, but she wants like $50 per book (too much!). I ordered some cheap lace from tandyleatherfactory and practiced my first round braid last night. I got the technique down, but I think the practice lace is too rough to try any backbraiding. I also want to learn basic leathercraft and tooling to make dog collars. I mastered the art of friendship bracelet knotting as a kid so I think I should be able to pick up leather braiding with minimal frustration.

I may have jumped the gun a bit but I already ordered some glass murano beads on Ebay (they're pretty inexpensive, check it out), but I'll wait to see the actual hole size I'll need when I work with the kangaroo lace. Some of the Tibet Silver beads on ebay look pandora-style that would work excellent on the show leads, but again, I haven't figured out the right hole size.

What cutter and beveler did you get? I'm holding off on buying hardware as the cheapest beveler is $70 plus shipping at http://y-knotlace.co...show/cat:25542/. I'm thinking that if I really enjoy this hobby that I can ask my father-in-law to build me one. I also looked into cutters and splitters. The cutter can be built, or I can get one of those cute Australian thumb-sized cutters on ebay, but probably not the splitter, which seems to sell for a few hundred dollars (again, too much)!

Let's keep in touch!

*edit* I did actually find a guide on backbraiding kangaroo for a show lead, it's at http://myriam.dakotabraiding.com/Tutorials/Leash/Leash.html

Edited by lightingale

You don't need to buy a splitter, just buy leather that's thin enough to start with. Once you start making more complex projects (say 8 plait or above) then splitting leather can come in handy.

Also you can split by hand and get great results. Lately I've found that for smaller projects I prefer doing it this way. All I use is a box cutter and a bit of practice. The same goes for cutting and beveling, if you learn to do it by hand it cost you nothing and as a bonus you learn a skill.

Thanks guys! That's loads of info already. :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Bullwhip, can you please tell me what you would call "thin enough" lace? The finest Kangaroo Lace I've been able to find online here is 3mm (1/8 of an inch). Is this thin enough? Also, is lace normally a certain weight or can this vary as well?

I've had a go at cutting my own lace from some leather that I have here the other night and it's a lot of fun but sadly, my leather's not good enough. Most of it is too soft for braiding so I will be buying some kangaroo lace and eventually, when I know what's what, I will buy some leather pieces and cut my own lace from that.

Could you please recommend which size bevelerl is best for show lead lacing or is this just a matter of personal opininon? Also, how do you sharpen a beveler? Tandy have a tutorial video on their site which shows how to make your own strop and bevel sharpener but I was wondering if there was any other way to keep a beveler sharp.

When you say splitting, do you mean that you can cut lacing into even narrower lace eg. 1/8" into 1/16"? I would love to be able to do that!

Hi Lightingale! :wave: Great to find someone so like minded on here. I love salukis and if I didn't live in the country with masses of grass seeds in the spring, I would love to have one of my own. ;) I have a few whippets and can't wait to get them all dressed up in their hand made show leads and personalised sighthound collars/lead sets. I make whippet/greyhound coats too so this leatherwork is hopefully going to complement the other side of my interess.

I have ordered Fine Braiding with Leather by D.W. Morgan and will look at getting some others as well. Thanks heaps for the tips. I'd love to have a whole library of books on leather work but baby steps I think!

I bought myself a Size 2 Craftool Edge Beveler online from the Tandy store here in Australia but I think it may be a bit fine for what I would like. They are less than AUS$20 so it was not a big outlay. I figure if I need a different one, I will just get it. I'm sure they won't go astraty!

The lace cutter is the Craftool Lace Cutter from Tandy and it works like a charm on leather that's firm enough. It's great to use and quite easy once you get the angle right and the leather starts to spin. It is amazing how much lacing comes out of a relatively small piece of leather! :lol: Here I was thinking I was going to need 12' pieces of leather hahahahaha!

Thanks for the tips on the beads. I'm holding off on getting any til I get my head around what size opening I will need and how best to anchor the beads. Need to learn how to make some nice knots first!!! Any tips please??????

Take care and definitely, let's keep in touch and compare notes/pics/ideas etc.

Oh, and I found that same back braiding guide too! It's a good one I think and quite easy to follow.

Cheers!!

Teresa

I think most of us that braid dog leads here use Kangaroo Hide. Available in your country at much, much cheaper price than here in the states.

I can only speak for myself on the second question. I used a total of 4 books to learn from.

Tom Hall's Introduction to Turks Heads

Robert L Woolery's Braiding Rawhide Horse Tack

Bruce Grant's Encyclopedia to Rawhide Braiding - Hard Back version

Ron Edward's Round Knots, Advanced Leather Braiding volume 2. ( Available from Ram Skull Press in your country )...

I can not remember his name. But there is one book out, called Braiding Fine Leather that shows a dog lead project. Maybe someone else can remember the name of the author.

Brian...

Thanks heaps Brian! Regarding the books geared specifically to Rawhide, can the techniques be adapted to using Kangaroo Lace? Are Turks Heads the most popular knots used with braided dog leads or are their others?

Is there somewhere that I could see some of the leads made by forum members so I can get my head around the different braiding/knotting techniques available?

Also, is there a book on how to braid buttons? I saw photos of leads from one of the forum members (Maeve, from memory) and was fascinated by the detail of the workmanship and how lovely they looked. That sort of attention to detail is right up my alley. :yes:

Sorry for all the questions but I have a gazillion of them and am trying hard not to ask too many at once!

Cheers and many thanks again.

Teresa

Thanks heaps Brian! Regarding the books geared specifically to Rawhide, can the techniques be adapted to using Kangaroo Lace? Are Turks Heads the most popular knots used with braided dog leads or are their others?

Is there somewhere that I could see some of the leads made by forum members so I can get my head around the different braiding/knotting techniques available?

Also, is there a book on how to braid buttons? I saw photos of leads from one of the forum members (Maeve, from memory) and was fascinated by the detail of the workmanship and how lovely they looked. That sort of attention to detail is right up my alley. :yes:

Sorry for all the questions but I have a gazillion of them and am trying hard not to ask too many at once!

Cheers and many thanks again.

Teresa

You're welcome and yes the techniques can used with kangaroo as well. I believe that turks heads are still the most popular covering for braid work still. Of course, I am only speaking for myself on that.

Here's a photo of one of my more recent projects of a dog leash without a core.

gallery_1307_1248_178826.jpg

It is a 4 strand round braid, no core. Done in whiskey tan kangaroo. The knot work is 2 7part, 6 bight pine apple knots top and bottom. The braids where the handle intersects with the rest of the lead is a split T braid done in a herringbone style braid. You will find two of those top and bottom.

The books I mentioned will be more than sufficient for you to learn button work from. Learning the basics of turks heads will be first on the list before you move on to the interweaves. Tom Hall's book Introduction to Turks Heads will teach you just that and some really awesome interweaves. Each author mentioned has their own way of explaining things. Some easier than others. Most important, is that you take your time and learn the basics of turks heads. Don't bite off more than what you can swallow. The key thing here is don't give up on your learning.

Brian...

ther is 4 books by gail hought on braid that could help you out . look up her name and give her a shout she has a books on step by step lnstrutions cwsadd05

hi teresa, i think you have the bevelers mixed up....edge bevelers are for veg tanned leather, what you are looking for is a lace beveler....some very experienced braiders can do this with just a sharp blade, but for the rest of us we need more help......again, youtube is your friend. I have this set-up..aussie made !

but there are many different types including homemade ones.. When talking about splitting lace, this is referring to the thickness of the roo not the width of the lace. Bought roo lacing usually doesn't need splitting. I bought the splitter from dene williams, (from the rm williams family) you can find his details here as well as some other useful links. http://leatherworkersguildnsw.org.au/usefullinks.htm

cheers

hi teresa, i think you have the bevelers mixed up....edge bevelers are for veg tanned leather, what you are looking for is a lace beveler....some very experienced braiders can do this with just a sharp blade, but for the rest of us we need more help......again, youtube is your friend. I have this set-up..aussie made !

but there are many different types including homemade ones.. When talking about splitting lace, this is referring to the thickness of the roo not the width of the lace. Bought roo lacing usually doesn't need splitting. I bought the splitter from dene williams, (from the rm williams family) you can find his details here as well as some other useful links. http://leatherworker...usefullinks.htm

cheers

Thanks Caroline. Well, don't I feel stupid! :head_hurts_kr: I guess better that I find out now than later duh! What an amazing gadget that one. So, does the one tool split and bevel? It was hard to tell if it was one and the same tool I'm afraid.

And, is the Craftool lace cutter that I bought adequate for cutting roo hide lacing?

Thanks again for your help!

ther is 4 books by gail hought on braid that could help you out . look up her name and give her a shout she has a books on step by step lnstrutions cwsadd05

Thanks for the tip cw! Cheers!

You're welcome and yes the techniques can used with kangaroo as well. I believe that turks heads are still the most popular covering for braid work still. Of course, I am only speaking for myself on that.

Here's a photo of one of my more recent projects of a dog leash without a core.

gallery_1307_1248_178826.jpg

It is a 4 strand round braid, no core. Done in whiskey tan kangaroo. The knot work is 2 7part, 6 bight pine apple knots top and bottom. The braids where the handle intersects with the rest of the lead is a split T braid done in a herringbone style braid. You will find two of those top and bottom.

The books I mentioned will be more than sufficient for you to learn button work from. Learning the basics of turks heads will be first on the list before you move on to the interweaves. Tom Hall's book Introduction to Turks Heads will teach you just that and some really awesome interweaves. Each author mentioned has their own way of explaining things. Some easier than others. Most important, is that you take your time and learn the basics of turks heads. Don't bite off more than what you can swallow. The key thing here is don't give up on your learning.

Brian...

Lovely job Brian. I really like that. Beautiful. Now, I managed to find the other three books on Amazon but I have yet to locate the Tom Hall book you recommend. I will keep on searching. If I want to be able to dye my own lacing, I guess that opens up a whole new can of worms? I am into pretty colours and so are most of the showies I hope to appeal to.

Cheers and thanks so much again for all your help. I would love to be able to braid like you one day. And don't worry, giving up is not an option. Trying to take baby steps...now that might be another matter altogther.

Teresa

Tom Hall's book Introduction to Turks Heads can be purchased at UBraidit for $26.95...

Brian...

hi teresa, i am haven't used the craft tool lace cutter, but it should do the job. I have the aussie strander. The lace is cut wider than you need. It then needs to be stretch. Next the lace is cut down to the size you need using the gadget in the video and then the undersides are beveled. Once again, here is a vid on bernie cutting lace

PS don't feel stupid!! we all have to learn and thats whats great about this site.

cheers

caroline

Edited by leatheroo

here are some pictures of my leads....

post-5858-063428900 1331266621_thumb.jpg

I was going to post some videos here of me cutting, paring / beveling and splitting by hand to show you don't need to buy any fancy tools to make dog leads, but for some reason this forum wasn't letting me post them.

I put them up on my blog at http://bullwhips.org I hope they inspire someone to learn a new skill!

Louie

Edited by bullwhips

If you purchase Gail Hought's books, you will not need anything else, for round braiding or braided buttons. Well worth the money for the aggravation you will save. Her button directions are BY FAR the easiest to follow.

Almost all dog show leads are made from kangaroo leather, primarily lace that is 1/8" wide. I use 3/32" lace for all of my braided buttons. You should have plenty of choices where you are at - I like Birdsall's lace. I do not recommend using metallic lace. The finish will not hold up to use. Use cores in everything you make. The European, Pandora style beads will fit almost all 4 strand leads, most 6 strand leads and some 8 strand leads. Ebay is by far the cheapest for these beads, ordering them from the suppliers in China. Look around before buying though...I think some of them operate under several names and you can find identical beads under different stores for different amounts. I know shipping to the US is free, don't know about Australia.

Feel free to look around my website. I am more than happy to answer any questions. I have a number of my leads being used in the breed rings down there.

www.leashesbydesign.com

Shannon

post-28446-056949000 1331603853_thumb.jp

I am brand new also, and want to make a show lead (or a couple) for my dogs.

ShannonS - may I ask what is the knot you use that holds the beads? That is lovely.

I've been reading, but have so many questions. Just to start - I'm trying to figure out what I need to purchase. I'm (at least to start) only planning to make a few leads, so I'd probably rather buy the lace.

1. Where do members suggest to buy the lace? Preferably by the yard, not a whole spool.

2. I've read that most leads are 4 strand. Yet I see reference to up to 8 strand. I have an Irish Setter, but I'd like the more fancy looking leads, not a really heavy one. I do intend to add beads. I'm not sure just what thickness of lace eis best. For example, the company below (which I was considering) offers 1/8, 3/16, 1/4, etc.

http://www.amazing-l...eter/cat_3.html

3. I do know how to braid, and have no problem doing 6 strand instead of 4 strand. But I think most I've seen was 4 strand. I was considering the 1/8 or 3/16 and doing 4 strand?

4. I read it's better if the lace is beveled. Are these sold beveled? If not, what do I need?

5. I believe I also need needles. Where does one look for these? Any particular kind?

6. I would like to use core. I've seen spider wire fishing line referenced. Also sinew (tandy leather company). What do members think are best?

7. Hardware if I choose to use that - swivel? ring? snaps? Where does one find good quality.

Anything else I need?

Thanks in advance for any help. Off to hunt for bead sources...

I'm sure I'll have a lot more to figure out. But purchasing something to start with is the first step I guess.

Edited by Tracym