Sign in to follow this  
chancey77

March 2012 Challenge

hahahaha I guess I should have looked at it longer than 5 seconds...ya ya ...hahahaha duh! isn't my butt red...just like my neck!

That is funny!

Oh dear.... well, let momma Sylvie fix you up.... http://www.drugstore.com/anti-monkey-butt-powder-original/qxp172067?catid=183877&aid=336064&aparam=monkey%20butt%20powder&scinit1=monkey%20butt%20powder

:rofl:

Ok, you guys are officially evil, you know that? I'm trying to do this knot with a swivel knife, a stylus, and a checkered beveler, and I may just go bonkers before I finish the matting between the strands. It doesn't help that this is my second attempt after I managed to botch the first attempt when a cut a strand "over" when it should have been "under".

Ok, you guys are officially evil, you know that? I'm trying to do this knot with a swivel knife, a stylus, and a checkered beveler, and I may just go bonkers before I finish the matting between the strands. It doesn't help that this is my second attempt after I managed to botch the first attempt when a cut a strand "over" when it should have been "under".

I hate Celtic Knots too!

But that is what is so great about these challenges...in Jan Twin Oaks posted an Eagles head challenge...I never did one before( how that is I am not sure) but anyway...now since then I have had to make 3 full eagles for clients jobs...go figure!

Maybe now you will have to make some for clients in the near future and this is a way to get your head in the game!

hahahah

Ya never know! Life is weird like that!

Hey man mistakes are ok and matting can be confusing when doing these knots! So just maybe live with a mistake and chalk it up as lesson learned:)

I promise we won't crucify you for being human!

Happy hammering!

Yeah, see, here's the thing. I have no clients. I'm only making stuff for myself and family, and to take care of the Boy Scouts' needs. I need hours more of practice, probably weeks worth of hours of practice before I'd even consider selling any of this stuff.

Yeah, see, here's the thing. I have no clients. I'm only making stuff for myself and family, and to take care of the Boy Scouts' needs. I need hours more of practice, probably weeks worth of hours of practice before I'd even consider selling any of this stuff.

I got ya!

Well.......Show us what you got:) Maybe we can help!

Oh dear.... well, let momma Sylvie fix you up.... http://www.drugstore...20butt%20powder

:rofl:

That is quite ok:) I am over it:) And maybe need to make myself one of those too!

Everybody's got nice stuff but me...one of these days...I'll get a....real job:) LOLOLOL

YA RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO WAY!

Edited by chancey77

That is quite ok:) I am over it:) And maybe need to make myself one of those too!

Everybody's got nice stuff but me...one of these days...I'll get a....real job:) LOLOLOL

YA RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO WAY!

I don't know about that.... I liked your knot... it looked good to me despite the over cuts caused by your super sharp blade.

I don't know about that.... I liked your knot... it looked good to me despite the over cuts caused by your super sharp blade.

My sharp blade and my ninja fast celtic knot:) hahahaha

1.5 hrs from drawing to stain!

dance.gif

I'm the same as you, making stuff for friends and family etc, The thing to remember is, none of us was born knowing what to do or how to do it.:dunno:

I was crap when I started, not much improvement there, I just make better looking crap now :lol:

I'm the same as you, making stuff for friends and family etc, The thing to remember is, none of us was born knowing what to do or how to do it.:dunno:

I was crap when I started, not much improvement there, I just make better looking crap now :lol:

Dude it is 3:14 go to bed!!!!!!!!!

I should have been in bed 2 hrs ago! But I have been doing image research for the Telecaster build.....ok thats it c-yall 2mo!

Dude it is 3:14 go to bed!!!!!!!!!

I should have been in bed 2 hrs ago! But I have been doing image research for the Telecaster build.....ok thats it c-yall 2mo!

Yes Dad, I'm going Dad, just wanted to post my updates first.

Nite Nite Dad zzz.gifzzz.gif

post-14765-095722400 1331517604_thumb.jp

post-14765-089356300 1331517615_thumb.jp

I kind of messed mine up by trying to work on it some more with Sylvia's migraine effecting me. But, all is never lost :evillaugh:

I'll post a picture of mine tomorrow.

Yes Dad, I'm going Dad, just wanted to post my updates first.

Nite Nite Dad zzz.gifzzz.gif

hahahaha

I told my wife you go to bed! I*M AN ADULT! That is funny...anyway!

LOOKING GOOD!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by chancey77

hahahaha

I told my wife you go to bed! I*M AN ADULT! That is funny...anyway!

LOOKING GOOD!!!!!!!!!!

That's funny. I always tell my wife "yes your highness". I swear, my next wife isn't getting such a large weapon....I mean ring!!

If I can figure out photo posting on this site I will submit my tree of life coaster you guys inspired me to do last night

Edited by WScott

If I can figure out photo posting on this site I will submit my tree of life coaster you guys inspired me to do last night

welcome.gif

Click on the 'Gallery' tab at the top of the page, on the right hand side of the screen you'll see a 'Create Album' button

Click that, the rest should be easy enough to follow thumbsup.gif

I hope

Click reply with quote... clear the quote if you want... then click Attach Files. find and upload your picture... then to the right click "Add to Post"

Then click submit. Easy as pie

Click reply with quote... clear the quote if you want... then click Attach Files. find and upload your picture... then to the right click "Add to Post"

Then click submit. Easy as pie

Trying again, getting error messages and yes I did reduce the image size

P1010867_2.jpg

Hooray I got it working.

Sounds cliche to say its my first carving, but it is.

I used a pre-shaped Tandy coaster, but found the leather carved poorly and took up more stain than I wanted.

It may have been my knife was dull, leather too wet or too small and complicated set of cuts for my skill...or all of the above!

Had fun with a swivel knife, stippled shader and beveller. Used Chancey's idea of coping from the computer screen.

The photo posting on here is a little more finicky, so sorry to need the babysitting

This was fun to get me going and I will try to do more challenges

Thanks guys and gal

Edited by WScott

Wow... very ambitious.... and nicely done for your first time. Great job.

Wow... very ambitious.... and nicely done for your first time. Great job.

Thank you

I do tend to get a little overambitious and bite off more than I can chew...but it makes me try harder

Stamping is a lot easier than carving

Thank you

I do tend to get a little overambitious and bite off more than I can chew...but it makes me try harder

Stamping sometimes drives me absolutely batty. I find I have a hard time lining things up and it takes a lot more time for me to do a project when stamping... if I get all freaked out about getting offset impressions. I'd almost rather carve.

Thank you

For a first timer that is a heck of a job!!!!

When I upload pics I click use full editor, then at the bottom there is a CLICK TO ATTACH FILES button...if you upload there we can click on your picture and blow it up...the way you did it is embedded in your message and we can't make it big. That way if you have any questions about techniques we can possibly help you ...or confuse you more...LOL

Anyway back to your coaster!

The more you practice with your knife you will realize the stamps are just for added flavor, yes they do make some cool images out of stamps, but using the knife is what will make your piece stand out and be a one of a kind! Even if you copy from the web it is still your interpretation of the image used.

GREAT JOB!!!!!

Thanks for participating!!!!!

Looking forward to see what kind a leather bug we are creating!!!!

Cheers!

I used a pre-shaped Tandy coaster, but found the leather carved poorly and took up more stain than I wanted.

You did an excellent job for a first try. I think all the problems you had can be summed up with the words above: "pre-shaped Tandy coaster". All their precut leather is junk. Order yourself some practice tooling leather scraps from Springfield or Zack White. Springfield is $7 for a 2lb bag and there are lots of different weights and sizes in it. Message me if you need a link to it or anything.

As far as exceeding your skill level, that's what these challenges are about. On top of that, I find that the only way to really get better is to push yourself past your comfort zone. I like to think that's the only way I've gotten as far as I have in less than 3 months (that and all the help from the others in this thread :grouphug5vj5:).

keep on going. Look forward to seeing how far you go.

This is why I wanted to post a photo sooner...all the awesome advice. Than you all for that.

I have just been too chicken and I do find the photo posting different than other sites, but I will figure it out.

I have a local Tandy and should have used a veg shoulder I have instead of the precuts I got for the kids to fool around with.

Will have to try some of the premium veg tans when I get better, would hate to waste it now

Thank you

That is impressive specool.gif

Has your overambitious, take a second bite, you've still got 16 days to chew it tongue.gif