Sign in to follow this  
Reds Leather

Holster Quick Release Plates?!?!

Im looking for a place to find these. I am making my own holsters and one for my buddy but i need these plates.

Something similar to the little plate at the top of the holster with the snaps riveted to it. '

Most are metal, but either way, anyone know where i can find these things?

And protective snaps to use as well?

post-26470-072712800 1331601463_thumb.pn

Those are called Thumb Breaks. One member of this board, High Desert Leather, sells them. There are other sources too that I am not remembering now. I have seen then in different lengths. I make my own.

Bill

Thank you Gringo!

What do you make yours out of? Thin Steel? And what, just drill them out wide enough for the rivets and snaps to fit through?

Also, what about protective snaps that wont scratch the gun? On my buddies Galco, the outside of the snap has a plasic covering so it doesnt scrape up agains the pistol and scratch it.

Thanks again!

Red

Those are called Thumb Breaks. One member of this board, High Desert Leather, sells them. There are other sources too that I am not remembering now. I have seen then in different lengths. I make my own.

Bill

I've been using 16 ga steel cut 1/2" wide and you're right, I drill two holes, one larger for the snap and one smaller for a jiffy rivet. I line all my holsters so there are no snaps or rivets that rub directly against the gun. The jiffy rivet goes through the outside to the back, this rivet gives more stability to the break. This rivet can only rub against clothing. Of course the two sides of the snap can potentially rub the gun if they are not snapped together. The back side of the male half of the snap is covered by the lining. If you are not going to line a holster then you would need some kind of safety back for half of the snap. I have seen those but don't know a source. I think High Desert Leather may carry those as well. I know there are others on this forum who specialize in holsters exclusively that would have sources for all those parts.

Bill

I've been using 16 ga steel cut 1/2" wide and you're right, I drill two holes, one larger for the snap and one smaller for a jiffy rivet. I line all my holsters so there are no snaps or rivets that rub directly against the gun. The jiffy rivet goes through the outside to the back, this rivet gives more stability to the break. This rivet can only rub against clothing. Of course the two sides of the snap can potentially rub the gun if they are not snapped together. The back side of the male half of the snap is covered by the lining. If you are not going to line a holster then you would need some kind of safety back for half of the snap. I have seen those but don't know a source. I think High Desert Leather may carry those as well. I know there are others on this forum who specialize in holsters exclusively that would have sources for all those parts.

Bill

FWIW from the grumpy old guy; I do just as gringobill does, although I make few holsters with a thumbreak anymore. High Desert Leather has the steel thumbreaks AND also the cap that goes on the back side of the male piece of the snap . I believe that they are a teflon thing, and are made just for that application. As said, High Desert can help you. Mike