Sign in to follow this  
dominic

Can I Use Resolene Or Tan-Kote On Leather Jacket?

Hello to all members here,

From all the cleaning and rubbing on my leather jacket by River Island the finish has come off (only on the back of the jacket), and I want to bring back its original shine and water protection.

For more details on the jacket by River Island please have a look at the link below:

http://www.riverisland.com/Online/men/coats--jackets/leather--non-leather-jackets/light-brown-leather-jacket--258335

So my questions are as follows:

1. Will finishing it with Fiebings Resolene (acrylic finish) mixed with distilled water at 50:50 ratio cure this?

2. Will finishing it with Fiebings Tan-Kote (resin finish) mixed with distilled water at a 80:20 ratio or for a little less gloss 60:40 cure this?

3. Will finishing it with Fiebings Tan-Kote (resin finish) mixed with denatured alcohol at a 80:20 ratio or for a little less gloss 60:40 cure this?

4. And overall... what kind of top finish do leather garments by River Island (or other similar leather clothing Companies) generally nowadays have?

Any suggestion would be helpful. Many thanks.

Dominic

I'm not sure enough to answer any of your questions directly, but I know they make polish specifically for leather jackets. This may be an option.

Kevin

A leather / boot / shoe / jacket shop I have dealt with uses "Tana Leather Magic Renew Dye" for fixing up leather jackets. Comes in various colors in a spray can.

Dominic, I don't see why you couldn't use either. Don't put the resolene on to thick...I would do it 50/50. The better solution would be Feibings Bag-Kote or Feibings Uassie leather balm. The bag-kote was developed for the mail carriers who used to use the large leather shoulder bag to deliver the mail. Semper-fi Mike

Dominic, I don't see why you couldn't use either. Don't put the resolene on to thick...I would do it 50/50. The better solution would be Feibings Bag-Kote or Feibings Uassie leather balm. The bag-kote was developed for the mail carriers who used to use the large leather shoulder bag to deliver the mail. Semper-fi Mike

Mike, I have another couple of questions:

1. Is there any way to distinguish at home if my jacket is top coated with natural resins, acrylics or polyurethanes?

2. Which are the main components of the Bag-Kote?

3. Should I mix Bag-Kote with distilled water or alcohol and what ratio of mix?

4. Should I slightly dampen the leather before applying the Bag-Kote with a dauber?

Dominic

Edited by dominic

Dominic, I re-did a black leather jacket last year and it did have some kind of finish on it. I just put some black Feibings on the entire coat and finished it off with 4-way leather care from Feibings. Worked great.

1) I don't know the chemical make-up of Bag Coat, I jsut know thay it must work for it to protect leather that carries the mail.

2) I wouldn't mix it with any water. I'd try it straight.

3) A far as dampening the leather first,.....I'd prolly put some neats-foot oil on it (or 4-way care) to replace the oils in the leather that dying diminishes, then put whatever waterproofing you would use to finish. I do believe 3-M makes a spray-on waterproofing, but I never used it.

Hope this helps some. Semper-fi Mike