bgj0230

Pattern Needed For Tapaderos

Pattern needed for monkey nose taps or bulldog taps with a riveted front any help would be appriciated!

Thanks

Braden Johns

I could also use a pattern for a set of monkey nose tapaderos. Can anyone help us?-----------------Bill

Bob Klenda has some great patterns on his site.

Just download the order form and mail it to him with a check or money order. (they are pretty low tech there) but they are great patterns!!

http://www.klendasaddlery.com/patterns.htm

May I jump in here without an answer to the querry, but rather with another question instead?

I'm reading a short story by Mark Twain from his book Roughing It, called The Mexican Plug.

In the story, he makes reference to a "Spanish saddle with ponderous tapidaros, and furnished with the ungainly sole-leather covering with the unspellable name".

What do you think the "unspellable name" was? Did his Missouri English have trouble with the word tapidaros, or is there something else here?

He spell it differently, but it wasn't "unspellable".

I just think he might be refering to something different than our more familiar way of spelling tapaderos.

Any ideas? What do you think?

Paul

Edited by Leatherimages

The " Spanish saddle with the ungainly sole-leather covering with the unspellable name." He was probably referring to a Mochilla covered saddle. that is what I think the unspellable name was.

You know, you might be right.

I've observe that Mark Twian doesn't always follow what I was taught to keep adjectives and adverbs as close the subject as possible, so you could be right.

On first glance it looks like the "sole-leather coverings" would be referring to the 'tapideros', but then I am (only vaguely) familiar with the saddle look you're referring to with the Mochilla. Like huge skists, right? That's certainly a covering. I'm probably being mis-led by the "sole-leather" part.

And considering the way it's pronounced, with the "...illa", it would be an unfamiliar word in his vocabulary.

You're probably right, think I'll go with it.

Thank you TT!

Edited by Leatherimages

This Tandy pack has one variety.

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/search/searchresults/6025-00.aspx

Through practice and looking at other taps, I've been able to modify the one in there into different styles... More like various hybrids than actual standard varieties, but customers have been happy! It's somewhere to start, anyways.

HI I sell Tap patterns but at this time they are eagle beak styles you might be you could rework them to fit your needs. You can see them at www.cowcampsaddlery.com