conceptdiba

What Is This Tool Called, And Where Do I Find It?

Hi Mali

My soldering iron is 16w (I believe) and I don't use any heat control (even I can use dimmer for such purpose). You have right, it is not precise at all, but you can compensate to certain degree with technique. I took me a while before I use to work with Chinese brass tips from ebay and soldering iron and I'm using it solely for edging. French stuff is, of course, much better but quite expensive if leatherworking is not your daily job :) After all Trox, I see you're living in Oslo (as I do) so you can drop and I can demonstrate my technique both on veg and chrome tanned leather (even combination of those two). It works well both with high end and cheap leather as well. The result is (booth look and feel) as on Hermés stuff

Hi, yes I see you live in Oslo too. I will PM you after the holiday and we can meet up at my shop or yours. As I mention above, I do not have much use for this tool as I am mostly using weg tan leather and have all the tool/machines I need for that job. But I am compulsive tool collector, so perhaps I get it anyway. I do have several extra leather sewing machines, splitters etc. If you need something like that; just let me know.

Vi snakkes senere

MVH

Tor

I'm not using those tips for creasing since originally they are too sharp and cuts leather like cheese even on low temp. I didn't experimented a lot with those as creasers since I have traditional creasers I heat by spirit burner. Surely, for my purpose (I'm doing small stuff) this works perfectly well.

What are these traditional creasers you speak of?

What are these traditional creasers you speak of?

Like those from Joseph Dixon http://www.josephdixon.co.uk/products/bevel_Crease.html or http://www.josephdixon.co.uk/products/Double_Crease.html

Vergez Blanchard has a traditional creaser too... and a screw creaser to adjust the width.

http://www.fineleatherworking.com/leather-tools/single-creasing-iron-guide

I wonder how to best heat these and keep it consistent.

Edited by thefanninator

Thanks. And these work well with chrome tanned leathers?

Vergez Blanchard has a traditional creaser too... and a screw creaser to adjust the width.

http://www.fineleatherworking.com/leather-tools/single-creasing-iron-guide

I wonder how to best heat these and keep it consistent.

That would be my thought as well. The initial creasing would look good while later down the line, it would not?

Thanks. And these work well with chrome tanned leathers?

That would be my thought as well. The initial creasing would look good while later down the line, it would not?

I'm not using chrome tanned leather often, but I didn't have problems creasing those. Creasers are traditionally heated on alcohol stove/burner like this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALCOHOL-LAMP-BURNER-WITH-WICK-SPIRIT-LAMP-/200531827611?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb0a0db9b

Not about the tool but back to the original video in question... anyone have a clue as to what kind of glue he's using in the video? Looks like contact cement but much thinner. I like the way it spreads easy with that brush.

Edited by thefanninator

I contacted Mando in France about the tool and fittings. It's still $600 + to get one shipped over here.

I'm still stumped about what kind of wax/paint is being used. I tried some Angelus leather paint but I'm sure it doesn't melt and smooth out like the material used with the filetuese.

I also contacted Peter Nitz about this tool. He took awhile to respond but did say he may start a blog in the future about leatherwork.

Hello, can you please tell me the price quotes you got? I want to know the difference in price quotes. I suppose you talked to Jose from Mando? Hope you reply.Thank you.

If you aren't looking for the best tool a Hakko 601 or 888 (both under 100) w/ the leather soldering tips from ebay welded onto a spare soldering tip is a close second in theory.

Cost will be under 150.

If you aren't looking for the best tool a Hakko 601 or 888 (both under 100) w/ the leather soldering tips from ebay welded onto a spare soldering tip is a close second in theory.

Cost will be under 150.

I intend to purchase the Mando tool but i just want to know the differences in price quotes. Tried buying it two weeks ago but there seems to be something wrong with their account. Still waiting to hear from them.At present I am just wondering if I got a fair quote or not since thefanninator mentioned $600. Sounds a lot cheaper than my quote.

I got a PDF file and printed it out. It's got a lot of stuff on it but I'll just include what I was looking at purchasing.

Fileteuse M3000, 1 output 0 to 16 V, mono 110 V 60 Hz, without handle - €180

Flieteuse/1002 cork handle - €70

Iron with guide F - €74

Single iron S 0,5 standard - €70

Iron to apply wax - €76

Convert to dollars and add in shipping + customs and it's over $600, closer to $700.

My quote was good for one month and I was quoted these prices 4/24/2014

Edited by thefanninator

I got a PDF file and printed it out. It's got a lot of stuff on it but I'll just include what I was looking at purchasing.

Fileteuse M3000, 1 output 0 to 16 V, mono 110 V 60 Hz, without handle - €180

Flieteuse/1002 cork handle - €70

Iron with guide F - €74

Single iron S 0,5 standard - €70

Iron to apply wax - €76

Convert to dollars and add in shipping + customs and it's over $600, closer to $700.

My quote was good for one month and I was quoted these prices 4/24/2014

Thanks a lot for the reply. I got basically the same quote with regards to these specific items. I suppose you dealt with Jose? I tried making payments to the stated bank account on the pro-forma but it didn't work. Just waiting to hear from them now. Thanks again.

I read this thread ( and also the thread about the regad edge / filet tool from mando in France ) last night while looking around the site here, got me thinking, so I researched a while and made some phone calls.

First, I spoke with Beraud, their minimum size is indeed 1kg ( they also do 5kg , 10kg etc ), they won't do smaller ( like 250gr - would be about 250ml or a half pint ) , but, as I used to get my custom paints made for me in small quantities here in France, I can get smaller containers ( metal or shatterproof plastic ) for paints etc.

Beraud are happy to supply me at "trade prices" ( being a French registered business helps to get better rates ) colours in sizes of 1kg and upwards.

I can "split" Beraud's into 250gr ( or around half a pint containers ) and send to USA or to UK etc, I'd prefer to send more than just one 250gr container at a time , but if someone only wants one small container of just one colour ( the shipping to the USA or UK might hurt for just one, but I'll know more when I get shipping quotes in next week ), I can do it.

I'd prefer that say 4 people ordered 250 gm of the same colour(s) so I'd not be out of pocket or "stocking" ( I just dont want to get stuck with any of this stuff myself as I dont use it, we make mainly lingerie and adult stuff, use mostly red and black leather, I dont' have use for a lot of what you guys use, but If I can help out with French suppliers or sources, then as I said in my "intro post", I will try my best :).

Beraud are sending me colour swatches and pricing overnight ( my time ) , I should have them by midday Friday.

Anyway, I'll post when I do get them.

Next..the edge tools that some of you saw on the mando site, I phoned the Boss ( Mr Regad ) of the company who actualy make them.

Another really nice guy, good sense of humour ;)

He is working out "wholesale" prices for me, he'll send them on to me next week ( he's very busy until the weekend, and in France few people work weekends ), pricing should be better than mando are offering, he is also perfectly happy making them to run on 110V ( so no need for transformer boxes etc ) and with USA type plugs for me, that "detail" should not cost any extra as he has already made some for export in bulk in the past.

They make all their stuff "in house", control boxes, handles, tips etc, so 110V or 220 V is all the same to him, as long as I don't ask him for just one control box. He hinted that 5 is a nice start number for him.

Again, this is not at all the sort of thing that I'd use for our own work, so I 'm not going to buy them for us, but I'm happy to get "trade" pricing and pass it on, again I won't know prices for shipping until next week. Depends on total weight of each package.

Hope this can be of use to you guys ? ..Mike

I'm "double posting" this into the "edge paint" thread and "the what is this tool" thread, because I don't know who is following which thread, if that is a problem for mods or admins please move the ots or paragraphs as you see fit, long as it still makes sense :)

Any other French sppliers and sources that anyone would like contacting let me know, I'm gradually reading old threads here to get a better feel for the place, these two threads I found, there have probably been others, as the kind of equipement and paint/inks/dyes that many of you use is not the kind of thing that I'd come across making what we make then I can't "suggest", but I can always make phone calls etc, and usually get good pricing.

Edited by mikesc

Please,

Tannery haas for their barenia leather seems to be hard to find for the bespoke craftsman.

Thanks Mikesc, shall we use private messages to post our needs or? Personally I'm interested for both...

I read this thread ( and also the thread about the regad edge / filet tool from mando in France ) last night while looking around the site here, got me thinking, so I researched a while and made some phone calls.

First, I spoke with Beraud, their minimum size is indeed 1kg ( they also do 5kg , 10kg etc ), they won't do smaller ( like 250gr - would be about 250ml or a half pint ) , but, as I used to get my custom paints made for me in small quantities here in France, I can get smaller containers ( metal or shatterproof plastic ) for paints etc.

Beraud are happy to supply me at "trade prices" ( being a French registered business helps to get better rates ) colours in sizes of 1kg and upwards.

I can "split" Beraud's into 250gr ( or around half a pint containers ) and send to USA or to UK etc, I'd prefer to send more than just one 250gr container at a time , but if someone only wants one small container of just one colour ( the shipping to the USA or UK might hurt for just one, but I'll know more when I get shipping quotes in next week ), I can do it.

I'd prefer that say 4 people ordered 250 gm of the same colour(s) so I'd not be out of pocket or "stocking" ( I just dont want to get stuck with any of this stuff myself as I dont use it, we make mainly lingerie and adult stuff, use mostly red and black leather, I dont' have use for a lot of what you guys use, but If I can help out with French suppliers or sources, then as I said in my "intro post", I will try my best :).

Beraud are sending me colour swatches and pricing overnight ( my time ) , I should have them by midday Friday.

re Tannery Haas ..OK, I'll try to get them on the phone tomorrow ( Friday ).

I'll let you know ( maybe in a new thread so as not to "hijack" this one too much ( apologies to the OP ) what they say re prices / rates etc.

I just read ( since you mentioned them ) some articles about them in English and French , and one "in depth" article with some great photos ( in French ) took a quick look at their site, nice , but looks like they would be expensive, especially given who are their major clients, again I wouldn't normally use the kind of leather they sell for clothing ( we use some calf, but not in the pale colours ) , and I probably wouldn't want to ( couldn't afford to ) pay what I expect would be their prices..

But "nothing ventured" etc etc .

Next..the edge tools that some of you saw on the mando site, I phoned the Boss ( Mr Regad ) of the company who actualy make them.

He is working out "wholesale" prices for me, he'll send them on to me next week ( he's very busy until the weekend, and in France few people work weekends ), pricing should be better than mando are offering, he is also perfectly happy making them to run on 110V ( so no need for transformer boxes etc ) and with USA type plugs for me, that "detail" should not cost any extra as he has already made some for export in bulk in the past.

They make all their stuff "in house", control boxes, handles, tips etc, so 110V or 220 V is all the same to him, as long as I don't ask him for just one control box. He hinted that 5 is a nice start number for him.

Again, this is not at all the sort of thing that I'd use for our own work, so I 'm not going to buy them for us, but I'm happy to get "trade" pricing and pass it on, again I won't know prices for shipping until next week. Depends on total weight of each package.

I'm "double posting" this into the "edge paint" thread and "the what is this tool" thread, because I don't know who is following which thread, if that is a problem for mods or admins please move the ots or paragraphs as you see fit, long as it still makes sense :)

Any other French sppliers and sources that anyone would like contacting let me know, I'm gradually reading old threads here to get a better feel for the place, these two threads I found, there have probably been others, as the kind of equipement and paint/inks/dyes that many of you use is not the kind of thing that I'd come across making what we make then I can't "suggest", but I can always make phone calls etc, and usually get good pricing.

Really interested to know the prices from Mr Regad. Can you also find out if he has a list/catalogue of all the available tips (for the handle) and their usage? I am looking for a circular tip which is not available on Mando. Thank You.

for the heating tool - fineleatherleatherworking is now selling it for roughly 650 or 700 for one handle, one size tip and the base. Could be a different brand but looks to be the same quality. It is on presale right now.

Surprised he doesnt have any stock of italian edge paint. If enough people ask about it he will most likely start stocking it.

Hi mikesc,

I'm currently living in Paris and would also be interested in the wholesale quote from Regad. My french isn't good enough to speak to them so I'd be happy to get the information through you.

Does Regad have a website we can look at? I've seen Mando and Fine Leatherworking.

QuoteDoes Regad have a website that we can look at ?

Nope, as with a lot of the specialist suppliers in France to the luxury goods trades, they are known to their luxury goods manufacturing and artisan customers by "word of mouth".

Last thing many of them want is to be "pestered" by people who might become "difficult" customers, so they make it so that you have to really seek them out, and they get enough work and sales that they don't need to advertise directly .I had n't heard of them before seeing them mentioned here ( I'm not involved in the "bags and belts" part of the leather industry, we are in leather fashions and adult ) , but, as I thought I might be able to help bridge an apparent language problem, and maybe save you guys some money ( that is if Mr Regad comes back to me with prices lower than those of Mando, which should be the case, as I was asking for a wholesale / distributer type deal from him ), he told me that I'll be hearing from him this coming week, I'll know then, and post here as soon as I do.

As regards looking at the items, the catalogue posted in .pdf form on page 2 of this thread by Lippy that he received from Mando covers the "standard" items from Regad, I didn't ask him about "special tips" yet as when they were first mentioned in this thread I had already spoken with him.

If the pricing that he comes back to me with is substantially different from the pricing that mando are reselling Regad units and tips for, then I'll ask about the possibility of making "custom tips" ( but as with anything "non standard" that is not a "one off", I would expect him to charge for "set-up" and "tooling" and so on, plus the cost of each "custom tip" ), that said, I'd think that most of you could get or make copper or brass or bronze tips to your own needs that would fit Regad units once we know the internal diametre of the Regad handles that the tips must fit into.

Brass , Copper and Bronze are not expensive here in France, but I don't want to get involved in making "custom tips" for Regad machines myself.

But, as I said further back, If I can save some of you some money by getting direct to French suppliers and ordering enough to get wholesale or distributer rates to pass on, then that is OK, plus he was quite happy to export a few more units etc than he would do normally when selling via French retailers ( who frequently mark-up much more than retailers do in the UK or USA etc ), he told me that he sells direct to Hermes, Vuitton etc, because they don't just buy one unit at a time etc.

In my experience it is quite rare for French companies to "deal direct" if they already have retailers in place, they usually insist that one becomes a retailer, and commits to purchasing a large amount of stock, and has "walk in retail premises", we don't have a "walk in shop" any more, the overheads are too high for the "passing trade" that we would get as we have chosen to no longer live and work in a large town or city. ( online selling only is just so much better, especially when you are in our market, I don't want to see or speak with 99% of those to whom we send out discreetly packaged fashion leather, leather lingerie or leather adult items ), and in a really small place like the village / town where we live now, the customers for what we normally design and sell would be hesitant to push open the shop door in case anyone they knew saw them.

Not that we have sign on the door where we live anyway, just a PO Box number with our brand name, a bunch of highly targeted websites, and a dedicated phoneline that is answered a couple of hours a day 4 days per week.

We also do not do trade shows, as we don't sell via retailers, only direct to private customers via websites.

Edited by mikesc

Thanks Mike and thank you for offering to do this!

I just thought Regad might have more tips than Mando and others offer. I'm definitely interested.

Edited by thefanninator

Yes they do have that brochure / site but it is for much lower grade devices, with no real temperature control, and very limited tips ( used for "hot foil" ) that are sold as hobby equipement to scrapbookers and moms who want to decorate Xmas cards.I mentioned it to Mr Regad ( he was MDR <= French abreviation for "mort de rire"*, equivalent to ROTFALOL :rofl: ..said ( translated ) "Oh Dear, please don't equate what we put up there to what we do for leather artisans and Hermes etc, those are toys, ignore them".

Those I have seen at handicrafts shops in France, I think they say something like "children should use these only when supervised by an adult, suitable for age 7 and above"( but obviously written in French, I don't know, and didn't ask, if he sells these to any international wholesalers, importers, distributors, he was insistant, those are "jouets" / toys.

Regad don't sell them directly either, even in France, only through retail shops who buy from them.

Note both the "contact" links on the page ( top nav bar and right sidebar ) go to 404 not found., done deliberately ( his words ), so you'll go to your local hobby /art supply shop, and ask them for the devices.

*"mort de rire" actualy means "dying with laughter"..but like most things doesn't translate literally "word for word" , but "the sense" does translate.

Edited by mikesc