conceptdiba

What Is This Tool Called, And Where Do I Find It?

thank you everyone for posting on this. i been searching for this tool and any other alternative for a while (short of flying to paris to get more tools).

so i was flipping through the forum whilst ironing my clothes and thought... "how about i google for mini-irons" and found this:

http://www.sew4home.com/tips-resources/buying-guide/everything-old-new-again-fabriccom-clover-mini-iron

do you guys think its a workable solution? i saw a variable temperature model available but am not sure about the heat settings available. i did read somewhere that to etch exotic leather - you need the lowest temp at 160-190 degrees (celscius).

any feedback (no matter how hogwash you think this idea is would be appreciated).

How are you actually supposed to use it ? Do you let the edge paint dry first and then run the fileteuse over the edge, or do you run it over the wet paint and this helps it dry and set ?

How are you actually supposed to use it ? Do you let the edge paint dry first and then run the fileteuse over the edge, or do you run it over the wet paint and this helps it dry and set ?

You let it dry first and use it to shape / fine-tune the edge.

Are someone use Maxmatt edge by the fileteuse ?

Here is video of this paint.

Haven't tried it with the fileteuse yet but I do know the paint is a 1000 times better than the Fenice Tandy is selling.

Unrelated to the fileteuse, but since it steered to edge paint for a second, i have found that palette knives from the art store work really well for me for applying edge paint.

Haven't tried it with the fileteuse yet but I do know the paint is a 1000 times better than the Fenice Tandy is selling.

Hi, Please let me know how this paint worked out with heat treatment.

Thanks

Tor

Hi, Please let me know how this paint worked out with heat treatment.

Thanks

Tor

It works well with heat treatment. The factory that makes this paint (Stahl) makes the paint for Hermes, who use heat treatment on their edges.

I have been following this thread for a while. What about using a rheostat like this for $22.00

https://shop.rings-things.com/cart/pc/Rheostat-Choice-p34516.htm

Soldering iron, then the tips from ebay?

Should come in at about $100 total?

You have the right idea but there are a couple of issues you should consider. One is that you don't know if the minimum setting on that device is already too hot for the paint. The other problem is that there is no thermocouple feedback loop to maintain the proper temperature - the temperature will fluctuate depending on a lot of factors. If you just want to do something crude like this, you can do it even cheaper by going to home depot and buying a dimmer switch to hook up to a soldering iron. Get an electric box that holds two light switches. Put an outlet in one side, and a light dimmer in the other. Wire it up properly, and you're good to go. You might notice the soldering iron making humming noises but it's nothing to worry about.

Edited by Matt T

It works well with heat treatment. The factory that makes this paint (Stahl) makes the paint for Hermes, who use heat treatment on their edges.

I got my two trail packs now and testing them out, looks great so far. I understand why I need the roller applicator and roller machine too. You got to use a really thick layer to form a raw edge and thats best done with those applicator tools (and machines of course)

I am impressed with the results so far.

Very good.

Thanks

Tor

I you are using Giardini's paint and like to have better edges I will suggest that you get the primer and the semi dense or dense colorless paint, apply it to the edges before you color them, once you do that you can use the Fileteuse to smooth the paint coats,but also the nice thing about the tool is the creasing detail that produces on the edges and also you can use it to mark the leather before you punch holes.

If you are on a budget get it from Randall campbell, they have a version of the tool that is fare and if you do some research you ca save couple hundred dollars getting the parts someplace else.

Hello everyone. Iam new here and I am in first steps at the leathercraft word. I am planing to buy one of these tools and i would like to know which temprature must I choose. For example with 0-400 C iam ok? I need the tool for edge creasing and fot stamping my logo.
Can somebody tell me in which temperature must the creaser have for chrome vag. tanned leather and which for leathers more natural as the vaqueta or veg. tanned leathers?
Are these temperaturse the same either creasing the edges or stamping me my logo?

Thanks verry much.

There are no need for any heat treatment or buying any expensive tool, if you use the new Giardini paint. Heat treatment is necessary on the older type of Italian edge paint, but not on this new one. The Maxmatt paint has to be applied in a thick layer with a roller tool, either by machine or the hand applicator http://www.leatheredgepaint.com/product-category/tools/

The way it's been applied in the video above is wrong. You can use a round polished metal rod (like paint brush handle etc.) on smaller items. However, this are best applied like it's been recommended by the manufacturer. I use both the tools sold on their site. The machine is great on long straps and belts etc. It gives a perfect result and many times one layer is enough. Sanding paper is used for corrections and for a light rubbing between the coats. The paint are best used on raw edges where no edging is done (No burnishing, the edges most be rubbed for the best addition of the paint). The paint are thick and will build up a finished rounded edge by its self. After the final protective coat has been applied you will have a very strong edge. The edges are like molded, it endurance a great deal of mechanical stress. Very nice colors and it's available in many effects. You do not have to buy several liters like from other brands, you can buy as little as a 250 Ml bottle. It can be used on any kinds of leather, both chrome and weg tan. I have been using it on dog collars were it gets lots of mechanical stress, and the leather wear down before the edges does. I am very happy with it so far. So before investing in expensive equipment (used on yesterday's products), you should try a free sample from this new style of paint (it's a big sample too). You only have to pay for the postage.

Just my 2 cents

Tor

So much information, thanks guys, but so hard to decide what to go for...

There are no need for any heat treatment or buying any expensive tool, if you use the new Giardini paint. Heat treatment is necessary on the older type of Italian edge paint, but not on this new one. The Maxmatt paint has to be applied in a thick layer with a roller tool, either by machine or the hand applicator http://www.leatheredgepaint.com/product-category/tools/

I agree with you Trox, partially at least :) Giardini makes a very good paints (in cooperation with Stahl), I like best semi-dense which allows heat treatment as well. What kind of edge paint someone uses depends of style, and how is about to be applied. I'm using Vernis 600 for most of my products, used before Fenice, gave a try to Giardini dense and semi-dense. Fenice is not even close to Giardini og Vernis (neither requires heat treatment) and later penetrates leather better/deeper. As stated, I'm doing heat treatment because of melting the paint into the leather which gives a very neat and durable edge. Just to add to Trox instructions, lightly sanded edges before application (to even the edge and remove traces of glue) promotes better adhesion. My 5 cents :)

So much information, thanks guys, but so hard to decide what to go for...

If you just starting, go for Giardini, you cant miss :) Later on, you'll find what works best for you :)

Did anyone ever get one of theses units?? let me know how it worked out

Thanks RMR

Sorry- was the instrument from post 147- tried to cut and copy- cant figure out how to do that

RMR

A lot of soldering irons take a 4mm diameter bit.

I'd not touch this with the proverbial barge pole. They've altered it from original spec. You can buy low powered soldering irons for as low as £5 [ $6.50-ish?] 

When I kept bees I altered a 40w soldering iron to operating at a low temperature by simply wiring in a resistor