Newfman

Dale Harwood - The Art Of Saddle Making

I just received my DVDs from Country Supply, via Amazon. Got a great deal! They really are like new.

I had previously read comments about these videos in various places, and I agree with them for the most part. 1. You won't learn how to make a saddle from these videos. 2. You will learn a lot from watching these videos.

It is my understanding that the Jeremiah Watt series is more instructional, but you do get to see Dale work his craft and he explains why he does some of the things the way he does. While I will likely never have the opportunity to watch a great saddle making craftsman build an entire saddle, it is worth every penny to have this as a reference, and I get to watch it over and over.

I highly reccomend them to new saddle makers, as well as those that have several already under their belt. Time to start saving for the JW vids.

Cheers,

Dennis

Dennis

While I don't feel that any video will give you the experience of building a saddle I will say.

I have the Watt saddle building DVDs, and another one also. The other one came with patterns.

The Watt DVDs don't.

The value to me is that Watt walks you through building his type of saddle, Just as the other Gentleman does, but,,,, the PLUS in my mind is that more than anything, Watt shows how to make a pattern for each piece as he goes.

I would rather know how to make a pattern, than be dependent upon someone else's patterns.

So I give a big Vote to the Watt DVDs.

I haven't seen the Harwood DVDs but I have seen him on You Tube.

Joel

Bill Gomer DVD's show you pattern making as well and would be a good addition to your library. I have not seen the Harwood or Watt DVD's yet but hope too.

I have seen one other makers vid. and really did not get much out of it at all (just like his chap vid) well, some people can teach and others just collect your money.

Thank you to the both of you.

No doubt, the patterns are going to be a big deal. I don't doubt that for a moment. But, for $156, for like new dvd's I had to jump on those while I could. I think they still have another set. JW's dvd's are just a little out of my price range for right now. Seems like anytime I get close, the truck breaks, the dog gets sick, the washing machine implodes. . .you know. Murphy's law. I will be getting them eventually.

I could have swore that Keith Valley was going to do an instructional video on saddle making, and that was a couple years ago. Maybe I'm just losing synaptic connections with my mellon.

As far as the videos coming with patterns, I think it would be nice to know how to make your own. That way, they pretty closely match the trees you prefer to use. Dale was pretty specific about his trees beeing very consistent from one to the next. So for those who don't make their own trees, it sounds like it is a good idea to align youself with a good tree maker. At least if you plan on making more than a couple saddles as a hobby. Heck, you should still use a well made tree.

Rick, thanks for the input. I will look into Bill Gomer as well. I'm one of those weird guys that may take years researching, reading, studying and learning before jumping in. I enjoy that part as much as anything. Watching the Harwood DVDs was interesting, mostly because you got to watch sombody with 40+ years of experience, slowly, smoothly, systematically create a beautiful rough out wade. . . in about two days. Like watching a professional chef make a 5 course meal in an hour, for 4 people, and do it more effortlessly than i do making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Plus you get to see what tools he likes to use, and how he uses them. I just can't say enough good things about the videos.

That being said. . .for the knowledge I gained from them, they were right on the threshold of what I am happy to pay for them. I wouldn't be so thrilled, had I paid much more. Willing maybe, but not necessarily that happy. Does that make sense?

Oy yeah, one more thing. . .it was nice to see somebody actually talk about, install, build up and shape the ground seat! I didn't exactly get a good grip on that from my Stohlman books. Some things you have to see in action to wrap your head around. That, and fitting the seat may have been worth the price of admission, as those were the two things I really couldn't fathom. I feel like I now could survive it.

For all of you, the information from all of the above makers, is invaluable. Certainly knowing how so n so does it and why is the cruxt of learning and understanding the craft no matter what it is. Once you have that under your belt, you can branch out and actually start experimenting with your own ideas, and it's been my experience that no matter how new you think your idea is, someone has already been there. That's not to say you may have a different take on how you like to do something. That comes with time , experience, and oh yeah, wiskers! As for making or using someone elses' patterns, it's been my experience that while I still have the patterns that I started with some 20 years ago or so, I almost always take a basic pattern and modify it to the saddle that I am making at the time. While most of my saddles have a tendency to look similar no matter what type it is, there is always has my touch and feel to it. That is just the way it goes. To give you an example, there is a saddlemaker here in Michigan that has been making saddles for well over 50 years, and I believe he is now retired, however; every time I see one of his saddles, I can pick it out in a crowd, no matter if it is a roping , reining, pleasure, or general use saddle, tooled or not. They just have a look about them that says this one was made by Jim. Bottom line, find yourself a good set of patterns and them use them to make the ones you need for a given saddle.

Good Luck,

Bob

Interesting. So, do you use an 'original' pattern and then creat a modified pattern from that for the saddle you are presently working on, and then transfer that to your work? Or do you just sort of freehand your changes from your original pattern to your work? What material do you find works best for a long lasting. durable pattern?

Fortunately it's raining today. I have my coffee, remote and note pad, and I'm spending the day with Dale again.

Edited by Newfman

You can't beat advice from Bob. I agree with what he says.

I might add.

I do a lot of saddle repairs. Every saddle I do has something different than the last one in regards as to how it is made. Even the factory made ones!

Might I suggest you start with repairing small repairs on saddles that you can handle with confidence, and as you do, take a good look and some photographs to create a library of your own on the differences you see in each saddle you get your hands on.

This would give you great hands on experience, and also a feel and confidence to move on to larger repairs.

I offer a spring cleaning and oil and safety inspection for the riders in my area. I make some money cleaning what they didn't have time to clean. I also take a good look at the saddles and offer my advice of any repairs that might need to be made to keep it safe. Did I mention they pay me money to do this? I use any money I get from my leather work to invest in more leather ,or tool, or educational materials. It seems that sometime I don't have enough money, but every now and again I do. Than I buy what I want for my leather shop guilt free.

I an in southern California and we ride almost all year out here, so I see a lot of saddles. I think you are in Maine so I don't know how many saddles you get to see.

Doing saddle repairs has been a challenging and wonderful experience for me. I start a repair and always find something I wasn't expecting to find. It up's my education every time...... ....plus some one pays me money to do it..:innocent:

Joel

That sounds like a pretty good idea. There isn't a lot of western saddles around here, but the ones I have seen have been mostly production saddles. There might be a need for a little work there. I moved out here from Southern california. There isn't a lot of good riding time here, nor is there many places to ride. Thick woods, deer flies, horse flies, black flies, high humidity or snow up the wazoo. There is a lot more arena riding, and that is predominantly english. So looking forward to moving out west again.

Thanks for the input.

Dreamin' 'bout Bozeman. . . sigh.....

Newf, most of the time I start out with either my original pattern or sometimes one that I modified for a previous saddle. I generally use posterboard as it is inexpensive and easy to get and use. Most of time it ends up hanging on one of the hooks that I hang my patterns on till i need them again. I try to remember to note them so I know which ones i used on which saddles. Yes I do have a lot of patterns hanging there. There's comfort in bunches of stuff. rolleyes2.gif

Hope tha helps!

Bob

Newf, most of the time I start out with either my original pattern or sometimes one that I modified for a previous saddle. I generally use posterboard as it is inexpensive and easy to get and use. Most of time it ends up hanging on one of the hooks that I hang my patterns on till i need them again. I try to remember to note them so I know which ones i used on which saddles. Yes I do have a lot of patterns hanging there. There's comfort in bunches of stuff. rolleyes2.gif

Hope tha helps!

Bob

Thanks Bob. I'm, sure Staples would be happy to sell me a case of the stuff. I could send the Wife to Michael's Craft supply, but that could get way too expensive. Especially if she takes the truck instead of the Cooper.