ouchmyfinger

Rookie Sewing Machine Needle And Thread Questions

i will be getting my cobra 4 in 2 weeks and it is my first machine. I'm looking into ordering some needles and thread so it will be here when my machine arrives and i don't know what to order.

i am going to be doing some wallets, belts and purses as well as some western rigs. i don't want to go the cheap way out so what is the best thread i can use as well as needles. looking for any info that will be helpful so i can practice a little with what i will be using

thanks

Why haven't you already ordered your needles and thread from Steve? They could ship with the machine, saving you postage and probably a higher price from someone else.

On the other hand, if he is out of stock, you can get your needles and thread from Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines.

Why haven't you already ordered your needles and thread from Steve? They could ship with the machine, saving you postage and probably a higher price from someone else.

On the other hand, if he is out of stock, you can get your needles and thread from Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines.

because i don't know what to order. I'm not sure what i should get as far as thread goes and i would need to know that before i order needles. my machine won't ship till next week

i would like to go with a good thread that won't give me many problems and will create a nice finished product. i have tried poly thread once on someone else machine and it seemed to buildup around the needle eye like dandruff or something lol.

thanks

because i don't know what to order. I'm not sure what i should get as far as thread goes and i would need to know that before i order needles. my machine won't ship till next week

i would like to go with a good thread that won't give me many problems and will create a nice finished product. i have tried poly thread once on someone else machine and it seemed to buildup around the needle eye like dandruff or something lol.

thanks

You'll probably want to purchase bonded nylon thread which frays a lot less. Also get yourself some diamond point needles, needle system 794D, you should be able to find some made by Grosz Beckert or Schmetz. Download and print out this chart for matching needle and thread sizes: http://raphaelsewing.com/blog/?p=11

Ron

Your machine uses system 7x3 or 794 needles.

For sewing wallets and purses you will probably use #92 bonded nylon thread. This calls for a #19 needle; #20 tops.

Belts will probably be sewn with #138 bonded nylon thread, using a #22 needle; #23 tops.

Tack, reins, collars, bridles, common holsters, knife and tool sheaths should be sewn with #277 bonded nylon or bonded polyester thread, using a #25 needle.

Go up one needle size when sewing Biothane.

Duty holsters are usually sewn with #346 bonded nylon, or 6 cord linen thread (run through a liquid wax), using a #26 to #27 needle.

If you go into production, buy two spools of thread in each size and color you will be using. One is for the top, the other is for reloading spare bobbins as you sew.

Notes:

Smaller needle sizes are typically only available in standard round point. This encompasses sizes 18 through 22. The remaining sizes are available in either round, or a variety of leather points, with S being the most popular. It lays down a straight stitch that sits tightly against or even into the top grain. Common left twist leatherpoint needles produce a zig-zag pattern. Triangle points produce a straight line, but leave marks on the sides, However, they fill in the holes more than other leather points.

I hope this helps.

Edited by Wizcrafts

yes it does, i did have another question, why do they sell a left and right twist thread? also i hear about people using a different size on top and bottom. is that just to accommodate for not having 2 spools to thread the bobbins?

also when you say a zig zag is that bad looking, same question as far as the straight stitch that leaves marks. is there a way to keep it from leaving marks? i heard that someone had smoothed out the feet to keep that from happening.

I'm just overwhelmed with trying to figure all this out before i ruin some leather lol, when you were talking about duty holsters and running it through wax, how is that done it seems like i would use that often

seriously thank you for your help

You have already been given some great information for this but here's a compiled document that I put together sometime back for Adlers. However the needle system is the same and should give you some good general guidelines for selection by types of products, size/thickness of material, needle selection charts as well as a chart based on recommendations compiled from various vendors.

Go to this thread and get the PDF. It should help guide you on your decisions for guidelines from many different sources.

http://leatherworker...ndpost&p=231011

Hope that helps answer a bunch of your questions. I would have strongly suggested that you would have talked with your machine vendor (Steve in this case) and told him what you were trying to do. He would have been most helpful in guiding you as to the decision of needles and thread required.

Regards,

Ben

Edited by gtwister09

I wanted the opinions of some leatherworker. I know he is great with customer service but I do not know if he does leatherwork himself. Thanks for the link also.

I still haven't gotten anyone to say what thread is the best to use

I wanted the opinions of some leatherworker. I know he is great with customer service but I do not know if he does leatherwork himself. Thanks for the link also.

I still haven't gotten anyone to say what thread is the best to use

See post #5

When I bought my Cowboy 3500 from Toledo Bob, I asked him the very same questions....this is what I want to make, what do I need....he told me, and threw it in as a package.

Edited by Rayban

Usually, needles and thread come with the machine. If not ask for them. Use them to practice sewing. you asked about right hand twist; it is used for curved needle machines like the Landis 12 shoe machines. It will be a somewhat long time till you will want any of that. Just learn with what you got till you need to change thread sizes, then you can find out about thread suppliers and needle suppliers on this board. The thread exchange and Maine thread come to mind. Cutex had a bunch of supplies at reasonable prices.

Art

i will be getting my cobra 4 in 2 weeks and it is my first machine. I'm looking into ordering some needles and thread so it will be here when my machine arrives and i don't know what to order.

i am going to be doing some wallets, belts and purses as well as some western rigs. i don't want to go the cheap way out so what is the best thread i can use as well as needles. looking for any info that will be helpful so i can practice a little with what i will be using

thanks

i noticed people are using a linen thread for hand stitching and i was wondering if i could get away with using that for both or if there were any disadvantages of using linen thread in a machine

thanks everyone

i noticed people are using a linen thread for hand stitching and i was wondering if i could get away with using that for both or if there were any disadvantages of using linen thread in a machine

thanks everyone

Your machine might be able to feed waxed thread, if the needle is oversize. The wax tends to come off along the way to and through the eye of the needle. It could gum up the works. I shouldn't have mentioned it at all in this topic. You're better off sticking to bonded nylon.

I used to use Linhanyl thread, until it ceased being imported into the USA. I now buy Cowboy pre-lubricated bonded nylon thread, available from Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines. My friend for whom I sew buys only Weaver pre-lubricated bonded nylon thread.

Unless you have a needle and awl (hook and awl) machine, your experience with linen may be less than satisfactory. You need to learn about your new machine using standard practices, that will mean bonded nylon or polyester thread. After a year's experience with bonded thread, you may wish to venture onto sacred ground and try other things, and have the experience to know when the manure is hitting the windmill. I have used Weaver thread of late and find it excellent, it is much like American and Efird thread. What A&E thread will be in the future is only speculation after it's acquisition by KPS, it may turn into China and Efird. The Thread Exchange is good also but I generally specify the brand I want if available. The best policy is to learn to use what you can get readily, and stick with it. This has not been easy over the years as I have went through Rice, Linhanyl, Coats, and am searching again.

Art

thanks everyone

Steve is very helpful and you should get some thread and 3 different sized needles with your machine. If you want to get different sized thread but dont want to commit to a full spool the thread exchange has small spools as well. So far I have 138, 207, and 277 size thread.

Thank you Ben, For that Pdf with info. Great work and a very good presentation. A handy documet to use as referance for needle choice.

Thanks

Trox

:You_Rock_Emoticon:

You have already been given some great information for this but here's a compiled document that I put together sometime back for Adlers. However the needle system is the same and should give you some good general guidelines for selection by types of products, size/thickness of material, needle selection charts as well as a chart based on recommendations compiled from various vendors.

Go to this thread and get the PDF. It should help guide you on your decisions for guidelines from many different sources.

http://leatherworker...ndpost&p=231011

Hope that helps answer a bunch of your questions. I would have strongly suggested that you would have talked with your machine vendor (Steve in this case) and told him what you were trying to do. He would have been most helpful in guiding you as to the decision of needles and thread required.

Regards,

Ben

Trox,

You are quite welcome. I am really glad that you found the thread, needle and material information inside. It helped me greatly as I compiled it years ago and has helped some other people over the years even those who didn't have an Adler.

Regards,

Ben

If I were you, I would call Steve and ask what he recommends for what you want to do, he has been very helpful when I've called. I received my Class 4 in February and don't have experience with different thread and needle sizes yet, I've just been working with the white 277 I got with the machine to learn, so I can't make any suggestions about that at this point. I would recommend getting extra bobbins and the small LED light that he is selling that attaches to the machine with a magnet. I got the light last week after reading about it on here and I really like the way it puts light right where I'm sewing and it's only about $20. Also, I got 4 bobbins with the machine and I think if you plan on swapping around sizes and colors often having several extras on hand would be essential. One thing you will hear repeated on here a lot for new machine operators is to practice a lot and I'm finding that to be solid advise. Good luck.

Bob