HCM

Thread Looping When Going From Reverse To Forward Stitches

I am working on an Adler 269. Installed some new parts including a new hook, and now I have this one issue of the thread looping on the underside of the workpiece. Stitches are perfect until I go from reverse stitching to forward stitching. Just the one stitch it is on at the point of switching to forward stitching is the one that loops. It happens on about 75% of the time, and only at that point. I have tried releasing the reverse bar at different pints in the stitch to see if it has any effect, and it doesn't appear to. Is there somethign obvious that I am missing that might cause this? I'd appreciate any tips because it's got me stumped!

Stop needle down, then bring it up 1/4 inch, THEN shift and go forward. Always do this when shifting or turning sharp corners.

Art

I am working on an Adler 269. Installed some new parts including a new hook, and now I have this one issue of the thread looping on the underside of the workpiece. Stitches are perfect until I go from reverse stitching to forward stitching. Just the one stitch it is on at the point of switching to forward stitching is the one that loops. It happens on about 75% of the time, and only at that point. I have tried releasing the reverse bar at different pints in the stitch to see if it has any effect, and it doesn't appear to. Is there somethign obvious that I am missing that might cause this? I'd appreciate any tips because it's got me stumped!

I normally do the switch on the upstroke, but maybe not exactly 1/4" up. I checked everything again, and it looks like the needle bar might have been a little low after all. I will try it as you suggested and report back.

Ok, it was my mistake after all. The problem was the needle bar height. I swear when I put it in that I had it at the right depth, it looked right but it was just a hair off. I get the feeling that the 0.5mm I was off made a bigger issue on the Adler than my other machines. It seems to be a very finicky machine that wants everything perfect before it will lay a nice stitch. Or, maybe it's just me. Anyway, got her working well now. Thanks for the tips, Art.

Timing is, of course, everything. When adjusting needle bar height, be sure you don't strike the feet on the down stroke. I've seen that when some try and use a needle other than what the machine is designed for, some of the Pfaff machines can be quite picky about that.

Art

Ok, it was my mistake after all. The problem was the needle bar height. I swear when I put it in that I had it at the right depth, it looked right but it was just a hair off. I get the feeling that the 0.5mm I was off made a bigger issue on the Adler than my other machines. It seems to be a very finicky machine that wants everything perfect before it will lay a nice stitch. Or, maybe it's just me. Anyway, got her working well now. Thanks for the tips, Art.

You mean make sure the needle doesn't rub on the feet? I have done that before. I remember setting up everything on a machine once only to find that the hook was way off because the needle rubbed on the raised foot when I timed it. Ever since then, I take the feet off or make sure the feet are down when timing. :-)