Angster

New Pirate Gear

It's been awhile since I posted anything here. This project started several years ago when we purchased a sword for my wife's pirate gear. She told me she wanted me to design a scabbard that was filigreed so you could see the blade through the scabbard. Well, after about a year of waffling back and forth about how to accomplish this, I started redesigning her entire look.

I came up with a rosette and ivy pattern for her design, and started with the design for her baldric. Then I finally had the inspiration I needed. Taking just the ivy/rosette design from the baldric, I'd use it to create the filigree pattern for the scabbard. The scabbard wraps the pattern around the blade. It's solid up the back of the blade where the scabbard is stitched.

After I was able to complete the baldric and scabbard, I recreated the design for wrist cuffs. I've also got a belt pouch for her with the same motif. I think all I have left is to create a new mug for her... Will probably need to get to work on that soon as Ren Faire season is almost upon us!

post-8561-059493300 1333220724_thumb.jpg post-8561-092995900 1333220820_thumb.jpg

It looks pretty nice from what I can see, but it is a very intense pattern to view with everything else in the photo.

How about a picture of just the scabbard with the sword out?

Joel

Always the problem with long skinny items. Hard to get a good picture of the whole thing. I've added a picture of the scabbard alone. The top image is the front of the scabbard, and the lower image is the back. You can start to see scuff marks on the back edge of the scabbard. As my wife prefers to wear the sword across her back as opposed to hung from the end of the baldric, I'm going to have to deal with the increased wear on the scabbard.

post-8561-027210400 1333226928_thumb.jpg

So tell me. Is the wife going to slap a bumper sticker on your but that reads something like "certifiably insane" after you finish all of that? I'm betting you didn't measure the time spent on that in hours, but rather weeks. Gorgeous work.

So tell me. Is the wife going to slap a bumper sticker on your but that reads something like "certifiably insane" after you finish all of that? I'm betting you didn't measure the time spent on that in hours, but rather weeks. Gorgeous work.

Oh, she's already known that for years! Thanks!

HAHA! Well said.

Really nice work too. Love the details you put into this. And the running theme on all the pieces is great design. Nice!

Cheers,

Andy

After seeing a close up of the scabbard I am even more impressed. So how thick is the leather, and how the heck did you get it to stay straight after all that filigree?

I take it there is no sharp edge on the sword.

Joel

After seeing a close up of the scabbard I am even more impressed. So how thick is the leather, and how the heck did you get it to stay straight after all that filigree?

I take it there is no sharp edge on the sword.

Joel

Joel, No, it's a stage sword, so the edges are at least 1/16", but the point is quite pokey.

The leather I used was 4-6 oz leather. Before I started, I marked on the back where the sword was, so after tooling and before doing the filigree, I took a V-gouge and did 2 passes around the blade to help the leather 'fold' around the blade. This really helped in keeping the scabbard from 'curling' and the stitching along the back helped to keep it straight.

Now, that's not to say without the sword the scabbard is quite wobbly. However, this isn't a problem for us, as this is mainly for show and not used as a functional piece. She wears this when we dress in pirate gear at different events and Renaissance Faires.

Thanks for all the comments!

Joel, No, it's a stage sword, so the edges are at least 1/16", but the point is quite pokey.

The leather I used was 4-6 oz leather. Before I started, I marked on the back where the sword was, so after tooling and before doing the filigree, I took a V-gouge and did 2 passes around the blade to help the leather 'fold' around the blade. This really helped in keeping the scabbard from 'curling' and the stitching along the back helped to keep it straight.

Now, that's not to say without the sword the scabbard is quite wobbly. However, this isn't a problem for us, as this is mainly for show and not used as a functional piece. She wears this when we dress in pirate gear at different events and Renaissance Faires.

Thanks for all the comments!

Hey there old boy, nice work.

I'm particularly impressed with the inset cuts. I'm impressed and always have difficulty with inside cuts like these. Not done with a laser cutter I assume?

Hey there old boy, nice work.

I'm particularly impressed with the inset cuts. I'm impressed and always have difficulty with inside cuts like these. Not done with a laser cutter I assume?

Nice to hear from you! No, all of the filigree work was done by hand. A laser cutter definitely would have made it easier!

We met at the Colorado Renaissance Faire this past June, didn't we? We're planning on going back again this year at some point. Hopefully we can arrange to meet up again!

Cheers!

I saw your first picture the other day and quickly passed on. To me, the pirate head pictures reminded me of a Halloween costume. This morning I saw the scabbard work, it looks awesome! The filigree is excellent. Very well done concept.

Aaron

That is some excellent work indeed! So how many new projects is your wife making you do now that you're done with this one?

AAARRRrrrrr.....

That's an appropriate response to indicate my approval, yes?