wyldflower

Speaking Of Stirrup Buckles - Alternatives To Blevins

I read with interest the post about the Veach buckles. I really don't like Blevins style buckles for most of the reasons stated in the thread about Veach buckles.

So if you don't want Blevin's, what are some good alternatives?

I read with interest the post about the Veach buckles. I really don't like Blevins style buckles for most of the reasons stated in the thread about Veach buckles.

So if you don't want Blevin's, what are some good alternatives?

Most of my customers prefer Superior stirrup buckles, and I change a lot of blevins out for them. Hope this helps. Ken

I vote for Superiors as well...I only keep Blevins buckles in the shop for someone that might need a set replaced.

Edited by Elton Joorisity

The superior buckle is great because you can retro fit them on any saddle that has 3 inch blevins without having to repunce the adjustment holes. You can see these buckles on Panhandle leathers site or in the Weaver Leather Supply catalog. They don't have a slide so you won't have moisture problems, plus with the stainless steel construction you don't deal with that aluminum yuk that blevins have. Blevin does make a brass buckle, but you still have the slide plus the brass blevins cost more than the superior buckles. The Veach buckles are great but I have not been able to get a good supply line for them. Long story short go with the Superior... Jeff

Anyone know how well the Superior buckles work with a Nevada twist? Do you need to keep replacement plates on hand? They look kind of easy to lose.

Thanks in advance,

Buck

Buck,

They'll have a 3/8 or so string on the plate, weave it through the first three or so holes below the buckle and it won't fall off. I've used them for years both with and without a twist and haven't had one come apart yet.

Best regards,

Josh

Thanks Josh

I'm interested in these Superior buckles, too. Anyone have a pic of them on the leathers so I can understand how to retrofit my saddles? I'm just not seeing how you can use the same holes made for Blevins. Wouldn't it be lopsided?

Thanks

If you buy a set they come with an instruction sheet. Most likely you will have to trim off the fender leg and punch new holes. You only lose an inch or so. Its not a big deal.

Sonny Felkins at Quality MFG is dealing in them now and he has the best prices I have found. He doesn't have a website but his number is 435-587-5070.

CW

Thanks. Now I REALLY want to see a pic LOL I have a saddle with damaged leathers that I'm going to either have to jerry rig or replace. What side of the fender part generally gets the shave? You talking the top part where the blevins would have sat?

Here are a few pictures I was able to blow up of a saddle that had Superior buckles retro fit on it when the stirup leathers were replaced, it had Blevins before. The Superior has 4 rivets, I've always put them on with all 4 rivets going through the fender leg and then lap the strip leather back so the bottom two rivets go through it. The pictures are extremely blown up of my son just riding, I'm sure somebody has some they took with the intent of showing the buckles. You can see the keeper with the strings laced back through the holes below to keep them from accidentaly coming loose. Hope these help clear it up a little.

Josh

post-19070-0-47614500-1349988794_thumb.jpost-19070-0-20426000-1349988805_thumb.j

Thanks, Josh! That does help a bit. So they can't really be used on the current leathers, due to then you'd have a center hole going up between the current two holes for the blevins, I guess. So when the time comes for new leathers, I guess this is how I'll go!

If the Blevins buckles you're replacing are the horizontal type then I'd suggest changing the leathers. If they're the vertical type the post spacing is probably OK to just swap them out.

Best regards,

Josh

How far apart are the holes needed to be for these buckles? I wonder if the stock leathers that have vertical only will work with it?

They are on 1 7/8" centers. They should work.

CW

Edited by CWR