UnionCraft

Fil Au Chinois In The Us

Can someone pls educate me on the differences between the fil au chinois that comes in spool, hard to get in the US and retails for ~$30 vs the $10 "capsules" readily available on eBay?

I'm just looking for a lightly waxed linen thread in a thin profile and the stuff avail stateside looks like t fits the bill

Thanks!

Can someone pls educate me on the differences between the fil au chinois that comes in spool, hard to get in the US and retails for ~$30 vs the $10 "capsules" readily available on eBay?

I'm just looking for a lightly waxed linen thread in a thin profile and the stuff avail stateside looks like t fits the bill

Thanks!

smaller spool and the thread is waxed. The threads should be better quality too, but it could be that the only difference is that the chinois in the spool is waxed.

I have ritza thread also; I use it when I need a thick thread, but it is flat right off the spool and I have to be careful when sewing or it will twist and look funny. The Fil Au Chinois is only flat in the picture because i hammered it down after I sewed. By the way, this is 432 size (second largest out of 5 sizes), and 10 spi.

How does the 432 look on 10 SPI? When i get the fund I'm getting the 432 for 7spi.

How does the 432 look on 10 SPI? When i get the fund I'm getting the 432 for 7spi.

David, do you see the image in my earlier response in this thread? The black thread is 432 at 10 SPI. I usually use 532 with 10spi though.

David, do you see the image in my earlier response in this thread? The black thread is 432 at 10 SPI. I usually use 532 with 10spi though.

yes, I commented on the picture too :oops: .

Hi all,

We now carry all sizes (332, 432, 532, 632 & 832) of Ecru as well as Brown, Black and White/Natural. You can see a comparison of all of the sizes on our site.

332 and 632 are generally the most often used sizes and we also now carry 332 and 632 in all available Lin Cable colors.

Got my thread from Fine L Working over the week end, VERY Nice stuff. Fast service easy to deal with .......everythign you want in a supplier

smaller spool and the thread is waxed. The threads should be better quality too, but it could be that the only difference is that the chinois in the spool is waxed.

Really? Both are marketed as waxed and I don't think the cheap one is any smaller of a spool. Fineleatherworking.com has a writeup about F.A.C's different variations but I can't tell if the $10 capsules are indeed "Lin Retors"

Can anyone with with first hand experience give me a hand? seanafk?

I also cant tell the thickness between the two lines...As a reference this is what I'm talking about: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sajou-Fil-Au-Chinois-Waxed-Linen-Sewing-Thread-CHOOSE-/130502048581

i read on their homepage that the spools are the professional versions of the smaller one. they didn't go in detail if it was better linen or repackaged.

Hi all, Here's a copy of the relevant FAQ about Lin Cable. When viewing any of the linen thread product pages you can see additional details about the thread.

What's the difference between Câblé linen, Lin Retors Extra, Lin Retors, etc.?

All of the corded linen lines are great products, each have been perfected to different sewing applications.

Lin Retors often comes in small sewing thread capsules and is a single twisted thread used for embroidery and cloth sewing.

Lin Retors Extra is the next step up- three strands twisted and then retwisted for extra smoothness and durability.

Lin Câblé is yet a another step up from that, in that it is moistened and smoothed for even more strength and durability.

My personal experience is that the Lin Retors in the capsule is a bit too thin for leatherworking. While it looks great, it's more intended for more delicate work and is a single twisted thread. Lin Câblé is what is most often used because it holds its shape and color better and is stronger. The retwisting surprisingly makes a big difference in quality and durability but it is also that multiple strands are used, not just one.

[edited for paragraph breaks]

Edited by seanafk

Hi all, Here's a copy of the relevant FAQ about Lin Cable. When viewing any of the linen thread product pages you can see additional details about the thread.

What's the difference between Câblé linen, Lin Retors Extra, Lin Retors, etc.?

All of the corded linen lines are great products, each have been perfected to different sewing applications.

Lin Retors often comes in small sewing thread capsules and is a single twisted thread used for embroidery and cloth sewing.

Lin Retors Extra is the next step up- three strands twisted and then retwisted for extra smoothness and durability.

Lin Câblé is yet a another step up from that, in that it is moistened and smoothed for even more strength and durability.

My personal experience is that the Lin Retors in the capsule is a bit too thin for leatherworking. While it looks great, it's more intended for more delicate work and is a single twisted thread. Lin Câblé is what is most often used because it holds its shape and color better and is stronger. The retwisting surprisingly makes a big difference in quality and durability but it is also that multiple strands are used, not just one.

[edited for paragraph breaks]

Thanks FLW, your site has been educational thus far.

However, F.A.C. is quite nebulous, really. While it sounds like you have lots of 1st hand exp, I keep reading different testimonials from others.

Per Sajou's site: (I've highlighted areas of interest)

The word “Retors” means that the thread has been re-twisted, a necessary operation in thread production. This one is three strands that have been twisted together to give a smooth, resistant thread often used in leather work. It's a high quality thread which can be used for quality jewelry making, DIY...

Our linen thread is waxed, which means it has passed through a starch bath to which bees wax has been added. It is then brushed with horse hair and stretched. These operations ensure a thread which is smooth and resistant for the most rigid stitches.

Lin Retors Extra is available in 23 colours.

The twisted waxed linen n°40 is avalaible :

- in star cards, 20 metres length,

- in small spools, 30 metres length,

- in capsules, 50 metres length,

- in large spools, 350 m length.

So what I'm concluding based on the above is:

1. Lin Retors and Lin Retors Extra seem to be one in the same (since there's only ONE type that comes in capsules). In fact, I've not found any sign of differentiation between Retors & Retors Extra other than on fineleatherworking
  2. The 50M capsules that are readily avail are (per above) 3 strands which have been retwisted. I believe some have stated it's single strand
  3. The capsules are marketed for leatherwork but no one can tell me what gauge the thread is.

I just bought some of the capsules and will report back but again, all the info out there is pretty enigmatic to decipher

If I've made a blatant mistake, please feel free to correct as I'm just a guy trying to buy some damn thread without spending an arm and leg ;)

Thanks all

That's interesting about the Sajou site- I didn't see that they group together the spools, capsules, cards and buttons. They may in fact be using the same Lin Retors for all four offerings.

What I can say for certain is that Lin Cable is very different than Lin Retors/ Retors Extra. It has different weights, colors and holds its shape and firmness differently. I think someone commented earlier on this thread (unintended pun) about comparisons.

We actually started with the capsules but quickly realized that Lin Cable was better suited to our needs and aesthetic. You may find that Retors is better for your work and it indeed is less expensive if you buy smaller quantities.

Might be a good future blog post for us to do a thread comparison so that people can see the differences and make an informed decision on cost/quality.

Best of luck in your search for a thread that fits your needs.

Why cant I find their company information? Nothing against fineleatherworking but if I can buy from a vendor directly, I will. Seems an oddity to me I cant reach them when I want to!