Just told leatherguru about my new idea...like to find me a torn Wing chair and recover with fine tan collored upholstery leather.....

Is the procedure the same as fabric upholstery...?

Just wondered where to start....any links out there would be great.

I love leather furniture and would like to add inserts of tooled veg tan on sides or bottom panels...maybe Navajo style...with Conchos....uhhhh, ahhhhh....hmmmmmm.!!

Let me know if ya all have any ideas...

Thanks so much....

Jimbob

I had never done much with upholstery and nothing with leather upholstery until last year. I recovered a Lounge Swing for patio, a couple swivel stools and an ottoman.

Bought a whole hide of light brown upholstery leathery, it is about 3-4oz. Got on You Tube and watched everything I could find on upholstery. Learned a lot plus I bought one or two books about same thing.

It is a lot of fun to do. Seams, corners, allowances are a little different than with fabric. I made my own piping for one or two items then decided French seams looked better and are a lot easier to do.

Practice the different aspects on scrap leather. Don't get too carried away with the "Glitz" you might like to try until you have a couple under the sewing machine. :)

ferg

Just told leatherguru about my new idea...like to find me a torn Wing chair and recover with fine tan collored upholstery leather.....

Is the procedure the same as fabric upholstery...?

Just wondered where to start....any links out there would be great.

I love leather furniture and would like to add inserts of tooled veg tan on sides or bottom panels...maybe Navajo style...with Conchos....uhhhh, ahhhhh....hmmmmmm.!!

Let me know if ya all have any ideas...

Thanks so much....

Jimbob

I had never done much with upholstery and nothing with leather upholstery until last year. I recovered a Lounge Swing for patio, a couple swivel stools and an ottoman.

Bought a whole hide of light brown upholstery leathery, it is about 3-4oz. Got on You Tube and watched everything I could find on upholstery. Learned a lot plus I bought one or two books about same thing.

It is a lot of fun to do. Seams, corners, allowances are a little different than with fabric. I made my own piping for one or two items then decided French seams looked better and are a lot easier to do.

Practice the different aspects on scrap leather. Don't get too carried away with the "Glitz" you might like to try until you have a couple under the sewing machine. :)

ferg

Thanks Ferg

Been looking around for some books...have a book from Germany but it is all the old way with springs and so....love the idea of leather furniture...and since I am a bit on the twisted side I will try a black bike leather Wing seat with skulls and carvings...hehee...but seriously, I will try ur advise and see what I can do...love the look of french seams....will try on some scrap leather and will have to tear up some furniture to look how they are made inside...

Thanks for the starter help!!

Greetings

Jimbob