kennh

Servo Motor For Old Singer 111

I called a company to place an order for a Servo motor to replace my old clutch motor on my Singer 111G156. The person who shall remain nameless says to me Why would you want to put a nice servo motor on that old dinosaur? Tried selling me on a new Chinese machine with a large bobbin. My question is are the newer machines around the $1000.00 range better than my old Singer 111? My Singer does have reverse but a small bobbin. Thanks in advance, Ken

The 111G156 is still a great machine, not quite an old dinosaur. A servo motor will definitely improve its performance. What kind of items are you sewing?

Ron

Edited by Ronnie

Have to agree with Ron there. Old does not mean bad! There are times that I have to tell a customer that the machine they have bought elsewhere is never going to do the job they want but it is best to try and get them to do some research on a site like this to find what they need.

The 111G156 is still a great machine, not quite an old dinosaur. A servo motor will definitely improve its performance. What kind of items are you sewing?

Ron

Sewing Light weight leather for upholstery, Is there any rule of thumb for how far you may be able to sew before your bobbin runs out? I know it depends on thread size.

Sewing Light weight leather for upholstery, Is there any rule of thumb for how far you may be able to sew before your bobbin runs out? I know it depends on thread size.

If the machine uses a G bobbin, common in Singer 111s, it should hold about 35 yards of #69 thread, or half that amount of #138.

If the machine uses a G bobbin, common in Singer 111s, it should hold about 35 yards of #69 thread, or half that amount of #138.

So does that mean you should be able to sew approx 35 yards in distance before running out of bobbin thread?

So does that mean you should be able to sew approx 35 yards in distance before running out of bobbin thread?

In a perfect world...yes. But there are Variables..The more sewing you do the more

the more you will learn.

No. It means you might have as much as 35 yards of thread wound on a bobbin. In actual use the bobbin winder might stop well before than amount has been loaded.

Every stitch pulls the bobbin thread up into the leather, around the top thread in a knot, then back down. This takes up as much length as the actual stitches, if not more. So, if you are sewing a 4 foot long belt, that makes about 8 feet (2 sides) x 2 for the knots = ~16 feet of bobbin thread. This amount gets worse as the thickness increases, because the threads are pulled in even farther.

Basically, considering that you lose thread each time you finish one piece and start another one, and that the actual amount of thread needed is twice the length being sewn (for each side), you might get 9 to 10 yards of two sided 8 ounce belts sewn per G bobbin load, using #69 thread. That would be cut in half for #138 thread. If the leather is thinner, you could sew farther on a bobbin load.

Another thing I forgot to mention is that I got the 35 yards figure from a company selling pre-wound bobbin loads. The actually said 36 yards, but I allowed for loss from bobbin winder misalignment. Your bobbin loads could be higher or lower, depending on how perfectly the bobbin winder lays the threads into the bobbin core.

Count on 15 yards of sewing. I could tell you some tricks, but when they go wrong, they really go wrong. Figure on 15 yards and change bobbins before you get there. Remember, that changes with thread size, 1/2 that for 138.

Don't let me get started on patchers, the bobbins are so small you have a hard time getting two jobs done.

Art

No. It means you might have as much as 35 yards of thread wound on a bobbin. In actual use the bobbin winder might stop well before than amount has been loaded.

Every stitch pulls the bobbin thread up into the leather, around the top thread in a knot, then back down. This takes up as much length as the actual stitches, if not more. So, if you are sewing a 4 foot long belt, that makes about 8 feet (2 sides) x 2 for the knots = ~16 feet of bobbin thread. This amount gets worse as the thickness increases, because the threads are pulled in even farther.

Basically, considering that you lose thread each time you finish one piece and start another one, and that the actual amount of thread needed is twice the length being sewn (for each side), you might get 9 to 10 yards of two sided 8 ounce belts sewn per G bobbin load, using #69 thread. That would be cut in half for #138 thread. If the leather is thinner, you could sew farther on a bobbin load.

Thanks Wiz, Thats the answer I was looking for, I see now why they call you Wiz. Do you know if their is anyway to modify the bobbin assembly to get a larger M bobbin in there?

Thanks Wiz, Thats the answer I was looking for, I see now why they call you Wiz. Do you know if their is anyway to modify the bobbin assembly to get a larger M bobbin in there?

I think not. Ask Bob Kovar, he may know if that is doable.

I think not. Ask Bob Kovar, he may know if that is doable.

Yes,it can be changed for around $375.00 for the parts,machine work & labor,shipping is extra.It can be done for less if you can take the hook saddle off & send to us for the machine work.

Bob

Dont mind the smaller bobbin, unless u doing production work.....keep extra filled bobbins and keep the size in 138 top or 207 top...bottom is 138......all the time in mine...works great!!,..u be ok,,,but u will be falling in love

with a DC servo motor....this thing is great...u will absolutely be amazed what u can do with what a slower/slow/extra slow servo motor can do!!

Dont mind the age of the Singer 111.....it will seve u well...I had one and now have a stone old well oiled Singer 211 with sevo...love it!!!

These old Singers have soul, and the servo will put spirit in it...lets sew something...!!

James

I really should finish that automatic, stand-alone bobbin winder in production for patchers!

Don't let me get started on patchers, the bobbins are so small you have a hard time getting two jobs done.

Art