angelren

Champion Sewing Machine Adviced Needed

Just got this champion sewing machine, oldie but a goodie. I am posting a few pics in hope that anyone that has one of these might notice any missing parts or out of alignment issues. I believe the awl is off center from the needle. If anyone has one of these guys running and sewing I appreciate any pics u can post.

post-30119-024749900 1333735744_thumb.jp

post-30119-080157600 1333735754_thumb.jp

post-30119-014314000 1333735777_thumb.jp

post-30119-099961400 1333735787_thumb.jp

Looks to me like the needle is bent a little. Have you tried another needle ?

The needle is bent! I have owned a couple of these old machines over the years, and while needles and awls can still be found without toomuch trouble, parts are almost non existent! If they are not worn out and everything is correctly adjusted, these old machines will sew 3/4" of leather pretty easily. Good luck with the old girl, and hope everything works well.

I read that these units used a kerosene heater to tighten tolerance. This unit didn't come with one. Was the heather really necessary for its operation?

You can get a liquid wax that doesn't need to be heated unless it real gets cold in your shop and light blub works pretty good then.

Back in the day when this machine was made they only had linen thread & hot wax,that's why they had the heaters on them.They kept the whole machine warm so the wax wouldn't harden.Most people use nylon thread on them now.

We do have needles & awls in stock.

Bob

My first post. Thanks to everyone who's contributed to this amazing forum!

I have the chance to buy a Champion 50 that appears to be in good shape, and I have a few questions?

1. The presser foot / groove tool holder is broken. Are those still available?

2. The work support plate appears to be designed for outsole stitching - which is what I want to use it for - but I'm wondering if the machine will accept a different support that lets you stitch farther from the edge, for other kinds of work?

3. Can this be run at a slow speed, like 100 spm? I assume that's just an issue with the motor/pulley setup?

4. What's the electrical box for? The machine doesn't have a visible motor, but I see a length of BX (electrical cable) that runs from the rheostat up to the head. What's with that?

5. The stitch length is set for ~7-10 spi. What's the maximum length (minimum spi) this machine will sew?

6. I understand Bob Kovar carries awls and curved needles and maybe other parts? And proleptic has a good manual?

On the one hand, it looks like a great machine and the price is fair. On the other hand, even if I owned a boat, I wouldn't buy this for an anchor.

Thanks for any thoughts.....!

Eric

post-20661-086658200 1335751367_thumb.jp

post-20661-085353600 1335751491_thumb.jp

On 4/29/2012 at 9:22 PM, eric j said:

My first post. Thanks to everyone who's contributed to this amazing forum!

I have the chance to buy a Champion 50 that appears to be in good shape, and I have a few questions?

1. The presser foot / groove tool holder is broken. Are those still available?

2. The work support plate appears to be designed for outsole stitching - which is what I want to use it for - but I'm wondering if the machine will accept a different support that lets you stitch farther from the edge, for other kinds of work?

3. Can this be run at a slow speed, like 100 spm? I assume that's just an issue with the motor/pulley setup?

4. What's the electrical box for? The machine doesn't have a visible motor, but I see a length of BX (electrical cable) that runs from the rheostat up to the head. What's with that?

5. The stitch length is set for ~7-10 spi. What's the maximum length (minimum spi) this machine will sew?

6. I understand Bob Kovar carries awls and curved needles and maybe other parts? And proleptic has a good manual?

On the one hand, it looks like a great machine and the price is fair. On the other hand, even if I owned a boat, I wouldn't buy this for an anchor.

Thanks for any thoughts.....!

Eric

post-20661-086658200 1335751367_thumb.jp

post-20661-085353600 1335751491_thumb.jp

How has the machine worked so far?