Sign in to follow this  
Rue

& Symbol Stamp

Does anyone know where I can find a "&" symbol stamp? Or how to stamp this symbol?

Thanks!

Does anyone know where I can find a "&" symbol stamp? Or how to stamp this symbol?

I use old letterpress printing stamps to impress letters into leather. The same things used print newspapers and books in the old days. Here is what I mean:

post-82-006433200 1334100034_thumb.jpg post-82-029695100 1334100061_thumb.jpg

This one is about 5/8" tall, but depending on the font size they can be smaller or larger. What size do you need?

Bob Stelmack

I use old letterpress printing stamps to impress letters into leather. The same things used print newspapers and books in the old days. Here is what I mean:

post-82-006433200 1334100034_thumb.jpg post-82-029695100 1334100061_thumb.jpg

This one is about 5/8" tall, but depending on the font size they can be smaller or larger. What size do you need?

Bob Stelmack

Those would work! Where do find them?

ebay sells a lot. But you'll really want to watch the shipping--especially if you are buying a full set of "Foundry type" which is quite heavy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Vintage-Wood-Type-Ampersand-Symbol-1-x-13-16-Block-4-Antique-Old-Letterpress-/370603310503?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5649adbda7

Here is a metal on wood ampersand.

With these letterpress blocks, the best way to get a good impression is by using an arbor press or similar, but I can get good results with a c-clamp and a few blocks of wood to spread the pressure between the letterpress and the clamp, and on the backside of the leather. (Essentially, you make a sandwich--one side of the clamp, block of wood, cased leather, letterpress block, block of wood, other side of clamp.)

Those would work! Where do find them?

I might have one that you could borrow, if I knew the size you need.

Bob Stelmack

You might have luck searching for the word ampersand which is what the "and" symbol is actually called. Good luck.

I actually knew that eons ago. Thanks for the reminder!

I might have one that you could borrow, if I knew the size you need.

Bob Stelmack

Thanks so much for the offer! But I need one to keep because I am doing custom awards and I know I will need it again.

Thanks so much for the offer! But I need one to keep because I am doing custom awards and I know I will need it again.

Contact M&H Foundry and ask to purchase just a single character (called sorts) for the "&". you'll find them at:

http://www.arionpress.com/mandh/foundry.htm

M & H Type

1802 Hays Street, The Presidio

San Francisco, California 94129

Telephone: 415-668-2546

Fax: 415-668-2550

E-mail: mandhtype@arionpress.com

Bob Stelmack

Edited by stelmackr

Hi,

When I needed a ampersand I ended up taking a Tandy Treble Clef ( music) and grinding off the hangy down part. It was not perfect but it was ok and good enough for what I needed. Just my two cents and another suggestion.

Arthur

Hi,

When I needed a ampersand I ended up taking a Tandy Treble Clef ( music) and grinding off the hangy down part. It was not perfect but it was ok and good enough for what I needed. Just my two cents and another suggestion.

Arthur

This is an excellent idea! And I think if Tandy can make a Treble Clef they should make and ampersand!