Newfman

Wax On-Wax Off- Stitching Question.

Sorry that this may seem like a dumb question, but I couldn't find the dumb question forum. I figured it is generally dumb, so why not put it here in the general topics?!?!

I have been reading and absorbing all I can on hand stitching and machine stitching. Then it dawned on me. Machine stitching uses unwaxed thread (for obvious reasons), and you use waxed for hand stitching for reasons not so obvious. I understand that the waxed thread provides protection from the elements, but many saddle makers, I understand, do both kinds of stitching on the same saddle. You may do hand stitched cantles, machine sewn in other places, billets, straps, skirts etc.

So, why is it acceptable to use waxed thread for part of the saddle and not the others, or isn't it? Also, isn't there a color shift in the threads, waxed-v- unwaxed? How do you treat the thread in the machine stitched areas, after the stitching is complete?

Am I over thinking things just a bit?

Dennis

Hi Dennis:

From my understanding, and I could be mistaken.... the waxed thread for hand stitching is to help keep it from fraying and knotting up while working the stitches. It's used for hand quilting too.

As for machine stitching, I understand that older machines had a wax pot but I am not sure how they worked. Maybe Wiz can help with that....

Syl

Waxed thread remains bonded better during the hand stitching process, and the wax both acts as a lubricant and helps to hold the stitch tight while moving from stitch to stitch. Machines hold tension on the thread while moving from stitch to stitch. Wax is necessary when using linen thread in a machine. You can also hand stitch with bonded machine thread. Extra care must be taken to maintain proper twist and stitch tension. Keith

See, now I did not pick that info up in anything I have read. Man oh man there is so much to learn.

Thanks for the info Syl and Keith.

Cheers