JustDisGuy

Mukluk Pattern?

Greetings all!

New to the forum, and leather working in general. I'd like to try my hand at making mukluks, but I haven't had much luck finding a pattern for them.

I'd like to get a pattern for the fur decorated style of mukluk, with a synthetic sole preferably. I'd appreciate it if anyone had any suggestions about where to locate one? I don't care if I have to pay for it, I just want a nice pattern so that I end up with a nice final product.

Thanks!

Well this will be a start. "Craft Manual of North American Footwear". hope this helps.

Check this one out. It has patterns for a lot of different Eskimo clothing.

Secrets of Eskimo skin sewing

Moe

<I'd like to get a pattern for the fur decorated style of mukluk, with a synthetic sole preferably. I'd appreciate it if anyone had any suggestions about where to locate one? I don't care if I have to pay for it, I just want a nice pattern so that I end up with a nice final product.>

It occurs to me to offer this perspective about patterning footwear.

It's a bigger deal than a wallet.

I have been in your shoes (pun intended) and I know that it seems like it shouldn't be such a big deal. Especially when we have all grown up with moccasin patterns hanging on the rack at our local leather shops. But it is.

I've learned in my years of making and repairing footwear, that there are many differnt types of feet, and the pattern seems to fail in types that are outside of the statistical norm. I seem to observe that there are many feet with long great toes, and very narrow heels. This is a completely different foot than the chubby ones the manufacturers think we all have. But that's really more a problem with shoes, and pull on boots too really.

But to address pattern making from a moccassin perspective is it's own kind of issue. An outline of the foot and basic measurements are all that is needed along with a good understanding of the parts and how they go together. And that's the rub.

I am thinking many leather workers are really just interested in making a pair of whatever style, as opposed to wanting to make an inventory for sale, as in a product line. But that's a viable thing too, of course.

I would be willing to look at the mukluk page in the book or two that I have with it in, and see if I might be able to make a pattern for you. I would need info from the feet involved, but we can talk about that later if you're interested in my help.

Wow - great responses. Thank you Luke and Moe, for your suggestions!

Leatherimages - thank you for your very informative insights. I appreciate your comments - you make a lot of sense.

My goal is to be able to make some nice mukluks for my family members - hopefully in time for next Christmas!! I don't want to impose on anyone's time, so I'm going to order the books that were suggested by the others, and once I've received them and understand what I'm looking at, if I need some guidance I'll definitely give you a shout.

Cheers all!

Mark